How far do you live from "your local" surf spot?

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Didn't BA discover/invent Blacks Beach? I'm lucky to have talked with him several times.
Could be, he was one of the early ones for sure. Terry Hindrichs (sp) told me the first time he surfed down the hill was in the late 50s early 60's, right around the time BA and the other W&S/Shores guys started surfing there. Not sure who the first was/were. It must have been an awesome experience to get to surf down there back then.
I kind of got to know BA over the years of him heckling me for being a halfman. He was a really funning guy and like you, I'm lucky to have met him.

Reactions: sponge

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Most guys I know who claimed they were “one of the first“ at certain spots around SD that hold size almost always say they looked forward to seeing another soul crazy enough to paddle out where they did for affirmation.

Oh how times have changed.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Could be, he was one of the early ones for sure. Terry Hindrichs (sp) told me the first time he surfed down the hill was in the late 50s early 60's, right around the time BA and the other W&S/Shores guys started surfing there. Not sure who the first was/were. It must have been an awesome experience to get to surf down there back then.
I kind of got to know BA over the years of him heckling me for being a halfman. He was a really funning guy and like you, I'm lucky to have met him.
Terry Hendricks was a mad scientist not unlike Greenough. Used to trip people out when he paddled in at 4 AM just as the dawn patrollers were heading out. alt.surfing San Diego contingent with Terry sitting on the right and BA far right. RIP both.

wsd02_sandiegocontingent.jpg

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Terry Hendricks was a mad scientist not unlike Greenough. Used to trip people out when he paddled in at 4 AM just as the dawn patrollers were heading out. alt.surfing San Diego contingent with Terry sitting on the right and BA far right. RIP both.

View attachment 113991
Great picture! Looks like BA's flipping the bird:socrazy:
Terry Hendricks was a mad scientist. He was heavily involved in material science research at UCSD focusing on various composites to build light weight structures. The flex-spoons and hydrofoil boards he made were crazy. He was another person that I was fortunate to meet and spend a little bit of time with before he passed.