How do you size your mini-guns and guns?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I've never surfed the East Coast but what I see online seems shorter interval, quick and hollow. I would think shorter and more rockered than what goes in California? But you've been there your whole life and shape boards. You don't have an idea?

ps that is an insane barrel you linked...the water is not brown. Florida?
I'm old. LOL!!! In my day you had a couple of boards geared for your home break and you rode what you had wherever you went. The breaks like that are all well north of me and in my general area you'd never need a specialty barrel board. Up there you do. My boys like driving up there and throwing themselves over those ledges. My youngest has broken two boards so far this fall/winter. The build thread I posted recently was for a replacement for one of the broken ones. Pretty much just copied and scaled up a board he outgrew. I went two inches longer than his height by 19.25" and 2.5. I can copy pretty much any board I'd like but knowing how to size for the rider in those conditions is something I'm not 100% confident with. I don't mind asking the questions rather than guessing.

Reactions: One-Off

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I've never surfed the East Coast but what I see online seems shorter interval, quick and hollow. I would think shorter and more rockered than what goes in California? But you've been there your whole life and shape boards. You don't have an idea?

ps that is an insane barrel you linked...the water is not brown. Florida?
Online is most often a million photos of one-and-dones on the Jersey Shore and Hatteras, so the surf tends towards the howling offshore hollow, and the South blow pre-frontal chocolates the water up. These places aren't exactly the East Coast's (surfing) population centers compared to Rockaway/Long Beach, VB, Wrightsville/Wilmington, and the Florida cities/towns.

Quite a few East Coasters have detailed opinions on the first step up from fun+ wave shortboard. Answering OP's nuanced question about specific width in semi-guns? I can tell you my 6'10" can get in, down, and bottom turn like a bat out of hell, and I've had it fifteen years. I've ridden my 6'8" once in four years, and I can tell you it gets in, down, and kind of bounces/porpoises a disconcerting amount.

Ask us about vac-bagged EPS for chest high beg-Inner bar. 6oz 7 footers? It feels fast and heavy. The finer points of turning/performance as it relates to width? LOL.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I emailed Josh Keogh. Too curious not to.
Heard back from Josh Keogh, and he's got 5 specially glued up blanks with 15mm cedar stringers to do a mini batch of custom guns a'la the Quinny ones. Since I was curious (and courteous?), he offered me one.

To YOLO or not to YOLO? That is indeed the question.

http://instagr.am/p/ClUWg4GSOrl/

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Fwiw at 5'10" and 175lbs my dims are:

Pyzel Shadow 5'11" x 19 3/8" x 2 9/16"
EA RP 6'4" x 19 1/4" x 2 5/8"
EA RP 6'8" x 19 1/2" x 2 3/4"
EA Stungun 7'0" x 19 3/4" x 2 3/4"
EA Stungun 8'0" x 20" x 3"
Thats helpful and seems like a pretty logical progression in dimensions.

I need to start going thicker on my bigger wave boars. Im like 185+ and wearing full rubber. My BB is 2 3/4 which feels great but for some reason I keep ordering my smaller step ups at like 2 5/8.