How do you size your mini-guns and guns?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
My nightmare was always getting caught just as I was about to get outside. You've paddled your ass off and and been tumbled under countless whitewaters for 25 minutes, heart rate is maxing, you are almost to safety, and then you take a set on the head. Those holddowns are hell and you have a tough decision to make once you surface.
This nightmare has been my reality more than a few times, and it was an otherwise “playful” day by local standards.

my least favorite moment is pondering if I had enough gas in the tank to even make it back in, and if so, shouldn’t I try and get back out?

Dec 5, 2020
SF
This nightmare has been my reality more than a few times, and it was an otherwise “playful” day by local standards.

my least favorite moment is pondering if I had enough gas in the tank to even make it back in, and if so, shouldn’t I try and get back out?
I know it’s bad when I start bargaining with God to let me out of this situation, and promising to be more careful…but yeah- always when you mis-time the valley of death between bars.

And all this when it’s only 10-12’ for me. I don’t like to imagine the violence when it’s actually bombing with lines to the horizon.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I mean ... call it 2x with some plus sets.

This one was on the 8'3:

http://instagr.am/p/CZs3q3NgI1g/

And yeah, I moved to SD. It's only been overhead like one day since I moved in June. Don't rub it in
Is that double overhead? Maybe I'm doing this wrong (I am, one way or another) but I would feel like my 6'8 bb is enough for that. Maybe it's the angle? It feels like I'm talking shlt but I'm not, I don't charge :LOL:, just trying to update my personal scale if it's OK to ride 8 foot + guns in those waves. Shshsh would probably ride a 6'2 that day.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
It's a Channel Islands Pink Gun which is an off menu item. I have a few of them, 7'6, 7'10, 8,2, 9'0. Some of them I've gotten new, two of them I've picked up used. It's one of my favorite guns I've had but I think the 8'2 would be a little small. It's probably fine from a volume standpoint (55L) but it's pretty narrow (20 1/8).
1. Based on this and the YOLO thread, I need to go have a walk through Kool-aids garage.
2. I ordered a 7'10" this morning. Simultaneously feeling pumped and feeling like I pussed out. I hardly ever order boards, so I'm psyched. We'll see what I do with that and determine whether I need to invest in something in the 8'+ range. My shaper had an 8'8" in stock for a steal that he was ready to send me (there was actually a moment of confusion where he took it into the bay to put my name on it), but I said let's back it down a bit.Part of me wishes I had just taken it.
3. I need a board bag to fit my incoming 7'10" Anybody looking to let one go?

4. This has probably been covered, but we're going 'stream of consciousness" if you will.
I'm guessing an EA, JJF, or any other basic, balanced quad/thruster set would be the "go to" for 7'10" semigun. I've got a set of the Noriega Hess Quads, but they are massive. Any strong opinions?

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Is that double overhead? Maybe I'm doing this wrong (I am, one way or another) but I would feel like my 6'8 bb is enough for that. Maybe it's the angle? It feels like I'm talking shlt but I'm not, I don't charge :LOL:, just trying to update my personal scale if it's OK to ride 8 foot + guns in those waves. Shshsh would probably ride a 6'2 that day.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

You know board size is very much dependent upon the wave (and crowd sometimes, too). So for example, at Point Conception there's a long period wave that rolls in thick and strong. If your board isn't big enough, you have to take off late and steep. If the wave's going to throw, you're not going to make it. You need a bigger board to get in. Waimea is a fine example of this, too. I used an 8'2" there and loved it, but again it depends upon the swell. This last Eddie swell, something like that NEVER would've worked. Mavs is another example of that. You need the long board to get it.

But in a short period event, sometimes a smaller board just works. I always prefer going smaller, but that's just me.

There's also a crowd and bottom contours component to this. Teahupoo will not let you ride a big board easily. Cloudbreak will. But Cloudbreak without a crowd is easy to get into. So... yeah... f me. There's a lot of variables in all of surfing. Cannot wait to take my new asymmetrical board to Cloudbreak. I have a feeling it's going to work well there.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017

You know board size is very much dependent upon the wave (and crowd sometimes, too). So for example, at Point Conception there's a long period wave that rolls in thick and strong. If your board isn't big enough, you have to take off late and steep. If the wave's going to throw, you're not going to make it. You need a bigger board to get in. Waimea is a fine example of this, too. I used an 8'2" there and loved it, but again it depends upon the swell. This last Eddie swell, something like that NEVER would've worked. Mavs is another example of that. You need the long board to get it.

But in a short period event, sometimes a smaller board just works. I always prefer going smaller, but that's just me.

There's also a crowd and bottom contours component to this. Teahupoo will not let you ride a big board easily. Cloudbreak will. But Cloudbreak without a crowd is easy to get into. So... yeah... f me. There's a lot of variables in all of surfing. Cannot wait to take my new asymmetrical board to Cloudbreak. I have a feeling it's going to work well there.
Taking off late and steep is fun, but Im-tired-boss-meme-4.png

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
That day was probably 12-15 foot faces on sets. Something in the 7'0-7-6 range would have been perfect for me, but I think I had sold my 7'6 and was waiting on my 7'2 Hess. There were definitely shredders out on 6'8s. Totally doable.

OB is such a large playing field. Once its going top to bottom on the outer bars, I would rather be over- than under-gunned. I was barrel hunting that day and definitely more comfortable getting in early and drawing my line rather than late dropping under the ledge. Plus it was crowded. Personal comfort levels apply.

Last edited:

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
6’0 Ghost for me for about as big as the beaches get in the South Bay. It’s about a liter more than my go to short borts which are between 5’6 and 5’8 (28-29L). The points/reefs just south of me need more foam, but I’m just not that into waves bigger than DOH anymore. I used to bring 7’4’s - 7’8’s down to the hill, but the point-and-shoot surfing those particular borts dictated left me kind of bored. That was almost two decades ago and it’s probably true that more modern outlines/rockers may make it more fun.

I’d still probably opt for surfing out front or taking a short bike ride to two spots that can focus longer period energy, but still get out of my suit in the shower.

My daughter went with friends today (no school today due to the gun packing teens at RUHS) to shoot three of the top guys from her school’s surf team at a semi-secret spot on the hill. It was well overhead with just them out and I have to admit I had some serious FOMO.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Is that double overhead? Maybe I'm doing this wrong
i know. right?

thought same and started thumbing. then i thought of my grandma and if you cant say something nice... so i didnt

but looks like a day i woulda paddled the 6-6 to challenge myself. the gotten pissed at the crowd and myself for "just missing a bunch of good ones"

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
BTW: Just watched that video, based on doc's response. Agreed. I'd probably be on my 6'1" or maybe a 6'7" out there. But it could just be the angle and distance.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
6’0 Ghost for me for about as big as the beaches get in the South Bay. It’s about a liter more than my go to short borts which are between 5’6 and 5’8 (28-29L). The points/reefs just south of me need more foam, but I’m just not that into waves bigger than DOH anymore. I used to bring 7’4’s - 7’8’s down to the hill, but the point-and-shoot surfing those particular borts dictated left me kind of bored. That was almost two decades ago and it’s probably true that more modern outlines/rockers may make it more fun.

I’d still probably opt for surfing out front or taking a short bike ride to two spots that can focus longer period energy, but still get out of my suit in the shower.

My daughter went with friends today (no school today due to the gun packing teens at RUHS) to shoot three of the top guys from her school’s surf team at a semi-secret spot on the hill. It was well overhead with just them out and I have to admit I had some serious FOMO.
No pictures! They violated the code! :trout:

Reactions: ChaseTMP

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
ocean beach also classically looks way easier on video than in real life

100% if you could transplant the wave alone to a different situation you could ride a shorter board, but the reality is that a lot of time is spent paddling against the current, to get in position, etc. etc. and it's way easier on a bigger board. wave also has a lot of power for the height

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008

Remind me of my interactions with Danny Hess. That poor guy!
"I want an 8'6". "
Two days later:
"No wait! Make it an 8'10"!"
Two days later:
"How big do you think it should be?"
Him: "How about if we split the difference and go 8'8"?"
Me: "If you think that's what I should do, let's do it."
I'm certain 'him' silently: :trout: