How do you size your fish?

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I should add 1st 2 boars were futures. Used captain fin CC keels. Decent. New one is glass on and it is mo betta. Not sure why. Way more maneuverable. I can crank this one off the top. Can’t say the same with first 2.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I have a Christenson fish and it's a very deceiving board in a sense that it surfs like a pretty high performance board for a double foiled keel fin.
Ocean Racer is the same way. It's not a small wave cruiser, you have to generate speed instead of relying on the board to do it.

I think Aruka nailed it, it depends what you want to do with it and what kind of conditions are prevalent in your area.

If you surf mushy waves and smaller gutless surf, I would not recommend going as short as possible.

Also agree about going with less foam and more surface.

6'1" 200 riding 5'10" CC fish stock dims

Last edited:

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Chat with the shaper and get it dialed in for your size, skill, and waves if this is your first one. I've never felt up a Christenson but the one the guy had in the lineup recently looked pretty streamlined and foiled. Not superthick like the OP mentioned.

Reactions: urchined

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
What would you say for 6'2 225lbs, 6'0" or 5'10" x 22" x 3", for softer mushier waves, that could handle occasional juice? I had an order and money down for a fish that was never started, anyway once I get refunded, I think it's gonna be a Stretch 2winfish. What are the biggest differences I can expect from a quadfish to a keel fish?

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
Im 5’9 , 175 pounds and Stretch Qfish is 5’6x20.5x2.44. Is good, but i tried my friends which is the same dims but 2.38 thick, and feels lighter too. I like it more than mine. Are fishes supposed to be ridden shorter wider AND THInner too? Or thicker??

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
What would you say for 6'2 225lbs, 6'0" or 5'10" x 22" x 3", for softer mushier waves, that could handle occasional juice? I had an order and money down for a fish that was never started, anyway once I get refunded, I think it's gonna be a Stretch 2winfish. What are the biggest differences I can expect from a quadfish to a keel fish?
5’10 at that width

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
That sounds reasonable, IMO. I’m 6’3”, 210ish and my current DK fish is 5’10” x 21.5” x 2 3/4”. I “could” use even more when it’s mushy, but the board picks up waves well and is a rocket ship/skateboard when up and riding.

Reactions: Aruka

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Im 5’9 , 175 pounds and Stretch Qfish is 5’6x20.5x2.44. Is good, but i tried my friends which is the same dims but 2.38 thick, and feels lighter too. I like it more than mine. Are fishes supposed to be ridden shorter wider AND THInner too? Or thicker??
I'm near your specs 5'9"/180 and my fishes have always been thinner than my other boards. Its the way they fell keeping the volume similar to my others. The full nose and overall wide outline already pumps a lot of volume into them so thickness gets reduced but might vary some depending on how the rails are. The Akila I ordered is thicker in spec than my other more traditional fish boards but most that thickness is only under chest to compensate for the lack of volume in his hard rails.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I’m 6’2 190

6’3 CI Fever is 34L

5’8 fish is 31.5L - twin fin.

Yes, fish is lower volume.

Wide round nose boards can be ridden at significantly less volume that HPSBs with a pointy nose.

Most people use fishes as grovelers because they think that that is what they are made for. They think this because they almost always get them over volumed so they work pretty good as grovlers.

IMHO this is a waste of the design. Fishes are made for fast hollow waves. That’s where they come alive.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: johnson7

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I like shorter wider thinner and less volume over all.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I have a Christenson fish and it's a very deceiving board in a sense that it surfs like a pretty high performance board for a double foiled keel fin.
Ocean Racer is the same way. It's not a small wave cruiser, you have to generate speed instead of relying on the board to do it.

I think Aruka nailed it, it depends what you want to do with it and what kind of conditions are prevalent in your area.

If you surf mushy waves and smaller gutless surf, I would not recommend going as short as possible.

Also agree about going with less foam and more surface.

6'1" 200 riding 5'10" CC fish stock dims
This guy gets it. Have you tried a stock 5’8?

Reactions: plasticbertrand

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I'm 5'6 and the El Tomo i got is 5'7 and it feels good.
I always think going too short it looks like your surfing on one of those McDonald's trays (although Asher pulls it off pretty well).
Like Aruka said... Im sure it all depends on the outline and what kind of waves you plan on surfing it in.
That seems way too big for someone your size.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
I’m 6’2 190

6’3 CI Fever is 34L

5’8 fish is 31.5L - twin fin.

Yes, fish is lower volume.

Wide round nose boards can be ridden at significantly less volume that HPSBs with a pointy nose.

Most people use fishes as grovelers because they think that that is what they are made for. They think this because they almost always get them over volumed so they work pretty good as grovlers.

IMHO this is a waste of the design. Fishes are made for fast hollow waves. That’s where they come alive.
i ride a stretch 2win fish for majority of sessions and agree 100% -- overhead and/or with juice is when the board is the most insane feeling

my experience volume-wise has been different tho -- my "shortboards" are around 26L and my 2win is a 5'3"x19.5"x2.2" 29L. I'm 5'9" 155. I think a fish can hide a lot of foam (wide nose, foil in the front of the board) and still be super rippable. a 29L shortboard for me is my "step up" volume

i think the worst thing u can do with a fish where you want performance is going too thick/boaty rail. get a rail you can sink when you're going fast

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
No, it felt a bit small under arm.

Would not get used much where I surf mostly. :/
I‘ve got my fishes by grabbing one that felt right under my arm, then went 2 inches shorter, 1/8 in thinner and 1/4 in narrower.

Works for me.

Im not going to question your board choices. I’m guessing you have it all dialed in at this point in your life.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I‘ve got my fishes by grabbing one that felt right under my arm, then went 2 inches shorter, 1/8 in thinner and 1/4 in narrower.

Works for me.

Im not going to question your board choices. I’m guessing you have it all dialed in at this point in your life.
Yeah, I'm old and decrepit, I don't think going shorter at this point in my surfing career would help. :bricks:

As long as I can bury the rail, I'm happy.