How do people surf double overhead top to bottom barrels on a twin fish?

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Get yourself a Gary McNeil RTT. They have so much range. From mushy, fat point-style waves to punchy beach breaks. Even had success on one on some Indian Ocean reefs...

• Love
Reactions: waxfoot

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
Get yourself a Gary McNeil RTT. They have so much range. From mushy, fat point-style waves to punchy beach breaks. Even had success on one on some Indian Ocean reefs...
I actually have an opportunity to buy one of these right now. It seems a bit big though at 5’8 30.5L. I’m 175lbs. What are you thoughts on size? Go smaller? Bigger?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I actually have an opportunity to buy one of these right now. It seems a bit big though at 5’8 30.5L. I’m 175lbs. What are you thoughts on size? Go smaller? Bigger?
That seems like a reasonable size for a 175lb. human.

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
Ok ok I understand that it’s “skills” and that it’s the “archer not the arrow”. But considering that this is the Design Forum, what elements would one want to add to a twin fish shape to help in bigger surf?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Ok ok I understand that it’s “skills” and that it’s the “archer not the arrow”. But considering that this is the Design Forum, what elements would one want to add to a twin fish shape to help in bigger surf?
Flat rocker, but overall a short board which mitigates some of the drawbacks of flat rocker.

Long straight rail line. Take your typical fish and compare the rail line to your typical stepup or HPSB.

Keel fin - big upright fin (set back).

If you really just look at a fish it all makes sense that they work is solid surf.

Put one on the ground, bottom up, and cover one side with a blanket. You’ll see it.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
Flat rocker, but overall a short board which mitigates some of the drawbacks of flat rocker.

Long straight rail line. Take your typical fish and compare the rail line to your typical stepup or HPSB.

Keel fin - big upright fin (set back).

If you really just look at a fish it all makes sense that they work is solid surf.

Put one on the ground, bottom up, and cover one side with a blanket. You’ll see it.

hey omnipotent duffy post a pic of yourself in big tube

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Narrower dims or at least a more pulled in tail. Increased rocker. Thinner rails.

A good twin fish has surprising range but I think for most people there are probably easier boards for big backside barrels.

Reactions: need 4 speed

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
No, there's a degree of talent combined with the fact some of these guys have dedicated lots of time riding that design. Way more time than most of us would enjoy.
The guys I know who can rip on twin keels ride them almost exclusively. It takes a certain approach and significant time to get good at riding a keel fish in my experience. And they're not that great for grovel type waves. They really need some push to turn on.

Reactions: csarqui

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
$.02

The surf in the OP vid doesn't look like DOH top to bottom on takeoff. I watched Nils Schweizer filming for the 5'5" Redux video in slightly bumpy DOH top to bottom tubes on an RNF and it looked unbelievably difficult. Beatdowns were issued basically every wave, and he normally is packing square ones from deep with no issues on longer, rockered out step ups.

Personally I'd probably find a shoulder to hop on a 6'6" or 6'8" because I suck, but if I was insisting on a twin keel in DOH tubes my first order of business would be to find a grower wave that doesn't start off as large/round as it ends up, and to avoid beachbreak like the plague.

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
The guys I know who can rip on twin keels ride them almost exclusively. It takes a certain approach and significant time to get good at riding a keel fish in my experience. And they're not that great for grovel type waves. They really need some push to turn on.
I would think riding one board almost exclusively would likely be beneficial for most surfers. It would also probably increase the range of the particular board with increased rider proficiency.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I would think riding one board almost exclusively would likely be beneficial for most surfers. It would also probably increase the range of the particular board with increased rider proficiency.
Yes, but a keel fish rides much different than a HPSB. I've heard some people refer to it as a fish hangover. My small wave grovel board and my three fin thruster don't feel that different and I can easily switch between the two. A fish feels way different compared to the rest of my quiver.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I don't completely disagree but I feel like riding different boards, different designs, teaches things that can be applied to other types of boards and so on. Like, a wider range of base skills gives a more solid foundation to build off of, if that makes sense. Ultimately if you want to get really good on a particular style of board you have to put in the time but I hear arguments in this forum like for instance, riding a fish is bad for your thruster surfing. I get it and I used to feel this way but I don't really believe it any more. For me personally, riding a keel fish and other twins a bunch this year has been good for my surfing, period. And look at all these guys who are pushing the limits on twin fins like Asher, Burch, Torren, etc...They all have a solid base of riding thrusters at a very high level so I don't think it's a stretch to say being highly skilled at riding a three fin translates to riding a twin at a high level. Why wouldn't it work the other way?