How Competitive Are You?

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Thinking about the Kelly thread -

I wasn't born with that compulsion to win at any cost, but I also don't mind mixing it up (especially now that the surf is crowded af). In my work world, I'm surrounded by hyper-competitive-self -esteem-tied-to-results types, and the dynamic there is almost farcical.

Winners win, as they say, but I'm pretty apathetic about serious competition on most levels. The stakes just aren't that high I guess. . .

How competitive are you?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Sailboat racing is pretty much the only endeavor I am competitive about. No other sports, and certainly not work.

Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
When I run on the Strand I don't like it when people pass me. It rarely happens and when it does the person usually stops a mile or so ahead. As I get older I have to resign myself that the young bucks will pass me.

ps driving a vanagon the last 15 + years has helped accustom me to being passed.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
with the entire lineup? meh as long as im competent. Always someone better and worse.
when it comes to my small group of friends. Oh yea it's an unspoken contest every time.
When I was a really small kid I surfed alone a lot and I hit a ceiling until I had a few people I surfed with regularly.
Pushing yourself to outdo your friends makes for faster progression

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
It's never a race but I try to win. Haha
Even try to bang better than the previous guy.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
To me, part of the appeal of surfing is you're just challenging yourself vs the ocean. Competing vs other people is antithetical to surfing imo.

Reactions: flyinraptr

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I believe there is some truth to the saying, "Show me a good loser and I'll show you a consistent loser." But then super competitive people tend to be miserable. At least that's what the people who are losing tell themselves when they lose yet again to some super competitive, insecure, man-baby.

And for the record, I want all my waves, your waves and your friend's waves, but I could really care less about who is in the garage ruling the ping pong table.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
waves are such a limmited resource i dont even surf with friends (or wife) anymore

Reactions: Autoprax

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I believe there is some truth to the saying, "Show me a good loser and I'll show you a consistent loser." But then super competitive people tend to be miserable. At least that's what the people who are losing tell themselves when they lose yet again to some super competitive, insecure, man-baby.

And for the record, I want all my waves, your waves and your friend's waves, but I could really care less about who is in the garage ruling the ping pong table.
I don't want all the waves. Just the best ones.

• Love
Reactions: santacruzin