How’s the stock market?

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
Interesting that the Fed has not really been able to slow down the economy (and inflation) with their interest rate hikes, but they have been able to devalue bond asset values and put the fear of Jesus in the banking system. I can see a cruel twist of irony where a frozen banking system causes a much worse recession than they ever thought would happen with their rate hikes.
Well said - you got it bro! The fed always goes to far with inflationary risk - falling knife syndrome - remember their mandated goal is 2-3% - deep systemic risk to banking system (Fed is trapped right now - check mate!) and a hot war going in Ukraine adds Political risk (you gotta ask yourself - why is the US not actively negotiating a peace a agreement there - both sides seeming love the war machine) - AI is going to replace human capital - I'm a CFO and 5 years ago we had a payables person, A/R person, Fixed asset, Sr. Manager, Sr Analyst, Director of FP&A and Controller - with new tech I can do all those jobs with just 1 controller - This will impact college educated middle class the most - the worldwide banking system is getting "reimagined" - small and mid side banks will disappear and the small guy will pay the price.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
So you won’t be answering the question or providing any real solutions…just criticism and anger at the “free market,” whatever that actually is…
When talking about banks and other financial institutions a more regulated market is my answer. Its not a coincidence that SVB collapsed after successfully lobbying for a repeal of sections of dodd/frank which applied to banks of its size. In my view the constant push to deregulate markets has basically always been a bad thing in the long run for anyone who isn't in the top 1%.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
bottomline,
the stock market rules the US economy and not for the better other than for the 1% of the 1% that own most of the wealth of this nation and maybe the world.
Everyone's greedy especially the wealthy but everyone's greedy.
Stock market = speculation = gambling = greed
that's it that's why you invest not for the benefit of the company you are investing in but to line you pocket with some anticipated and "maybe" realized wealth.
Learned this long ago...
What goes up
Eventually comes down
including national economies and power

in 1987 oliver stone presented us a mirror like we did with platoon but like as always you refuse to see and learn what you don't what to see and learn, so here we again

Reactions: PJ

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
UBS has agreed to buy Credit Suisse for $2b

A person with knowledge of the talks earlier told Reuters that UBS sought $6 billion from the Swiss government as part of a purchase. The guarantees would cover the cost of winding down parts of Credit Suisse and potential litigation charges.
:porcorn:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Uh, no. :toilet: :crazy2:

You love repeating political talking points, huh?
Okay, let's hear the "other part of the equation".

I say tighter regulations is preferable to the economic hostage situation of having to decide between bailing out these uninsured rich idiots or letting them take a bath and hoping it doesn't trigger further bank runs and full on economic meltdown.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

I say tighter regulations is preferable to the economic hostage situation of having to decide between bailing out these uninsured rich idiots or letting them take a bath and hoping it doesn't trigger further bank runs and full on economic meltdown.
The other part of the equation was the bank would have met the liquidity requirements under the repealed portions of Dodd-Frank.

Further it was already under supervision by Federal and CA regulators.

Since we go that out of the way, what further regulations would you suggest?

And perhaps more importantly, who would be doing the regulation?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

IIRC it was something along the lines of being loaded up on bonds that had a lower interest rate than the prevailing mortgage rate. They were having liquidity issues and had to sell them for a loss.

Reactions: Aruka

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Tomorrow my lovely stonkies are gonna shoot to the moon!!!

Or, stonk, as I have gone all in on a seismic survey company to regain my brutal loss.

Saved by the taxpayer clowns again. Thank you and have a nice evening :roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
IIRC it was something along the lines of being loaded up on bonds that had a lower interest rate than the prevailing mortgage rate. They were having liquidity issues and had to sell them for a loss.
Correct - they were holding a bunch of long term treasuries in a rising rate environment...while still meeting the requirements of the repealed Dodd-Frank portions.

Then customers wanted their money.

That is why SVB failed. Period.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
while still meeting the requirements of the repealed Dodd-Frank portions.
As SVB grew beyond 50 billion in total assets it would have had to meet, "enhanced requirements including stress tests, stricter capital requirements and risk management practices". Those requirements were put into place to prevent larger "systemically important" banks from making high risk bets. But, because they repealed that portion of the law, raising the cap to banks over 250 Billion so SVB was not subject to those regulations as it grew beyond it's 50B asset value. SVB was around 210 billion at the time of collapse.

Obviously there is no way to go back in time to prove the counter factual that SVB wouldn't have collapsed had they been subject to stronger regulation but I feel pretty comfortable saying that stricter capital requirements and risk management wouldn't have hurt.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
As SVB grew beyond 50 billion in total assets it would have had to meet, "enhanced requirements including stress tests, stricter capital requirements and risk management practices". Those requirements were put into place to prevent larger "systemically important" banks from making high risk bets. But, because they repealed that portion of the law, raising the cap to banks over 250 Billion so SVB was not subject to those regulations as it grew beyond it's 50B asset value. SVB was around 210 billion at the time of collapse.

Obviously there is no way to go back in time to prove the counter factual that SVB wouldn't have collapsed had they been subject to stronger regulation but I feel pretty comfortable saying that stricter capital requirements and risk management wouldn't have hurt.
Once again - SVB would have very, very likely met those Dodd-Frank requirements.

SVB's collapse was about rising interest rates, long term t-bonds, and MOSTLY a bank run.

Stress tests are about recessions, not bank runs.

But let's say Fed regulators came knocking.

The Fed said "there is no inflation" and "inflation is transitory." Those were the auspices it was operating under. Rate hikes were not on the horizon. Yellen was saying there is no recession, so was the Fed.

The bank's funds were sitting in what is globally considered the most secure financial instrument - U.S. treasuries.

There is actually a good chance SVB would have been fine it weren't for the bank run, not to mention their client portfolio.

If the repeals in Dodd-Frank were about bank runs and banks vetting their depositor's sources of income you'd have a case.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
The Federal Reserve and five other central banks announced coordinated action on Sunday to boost liquidity in their standing US dollar swap arrangements.

The Fed announced the move with the Bank of Canada, the Bank of England, the Bank of Japan, the European Central Bank and the Swiss National Bank in a statement saying the action was designed to “enhance the provision of liquidity via the standing U.S. dollar liquidity swap line arrangements.”

=====

Same thing happened on March 15, 2020

SXP daily
1679262466416.png

• Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta