How’s the stock market?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Who needs trolls when we have the moderator to derail the conversation :poke::cheers:
well played sir, and 100% accurate. I'm probably the worst derailer ON this train, But, at least I'm mostly positive and upbeat? maybe?

if not, **** off :shaka:

And i personally don't really think of thread derailment as particularly trolly, unless of course it is specifically done BY a troll for the purpose of attacking another poster(s) or whatever. A good natured thread derailment is part of the magic erBB sauce. It's like a free association exercise a la "What About Bob" except in a web-based group forum

Reactions: kelpcutter

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i've modded elsewhere for many years in a couple of forums - one surf-related, one computer-related - and i notice the bots' ability to get through registration and make coherent posts is getting better and better. they home in on a key word in a thread title and can formulate an credible post in that thread, ostensibly on-topic. sometimes you have to let one run for a while and make a couple posts before you can pretty conclusively decide that, no, this is not a real human being.

i'm guessing that AI is gonna just gonna make the whack-a-mole game of forum modding ever more interesting. c'est la vie - it's not like you're doing it for the money :roflmao:
oh i try to have fun with it. If there is a handle that i know nearly 100% is a veteran trying to slip a troll by me, I'll reject it and leave a snarky little comment

But yeah, bots are eerily realistic now a days. I may even delete a lot of legit people just assuming they are bots

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
well played sir, and 100% accurate. I'm probably the worst derailer ON this train, But, at least I'm mostly positive and upbeat? maybe?

if not, **** off :shaka:

And i personally don't really think of thread derailment as particularly trolly, unless of course it is specifically done BY a troll for the purpose of attacking another poster(s) or whatever. A good natured thread derailment is part of the magic erBB sauce. It's like a free association exercise a la "What About Bob" except in a web-based group forum
Rename it the Trollitics Forum.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
oh i try to have fun with it. If there is a handle that i know nearly 100% is a veteran trying to slip a troll by me, I'll reject it and leave a snarky little comment
you know, i like forum life, always felt it had more social and practical value than social media, reddit, whatever. but i'll be damned if i ever had the time or inclination or energy to attempt to maintain multiple personas in the same place. just my two cents but any adult who actually has nothing better to do than to play that game should be embarrassed when they look in the mirror.

forum life=arguing with people you don't know about things that don't matter in a place that doesn't actually exist. keeping perspective is important:waving:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
you know, i like forum life, always felt it had more social and practical value than social media, reddit, whatever. but i'll be damned if i ever had the time or inclination or energy to attempt to maintain multiple personas in the same place. just my two cents but any adult who actually has nothing better to do than to play that game should be embarrassed when they look in the mirror.

forum life=arguing with people you don't know about things that don't matter in a place that doesn't actually exist. keeping perspective is important:waving:
I am not sure where casa mugrienta's earnest intellectual curiosity in psychology/sociology stops and when attempts to treat posters like ungoverned wind up toys starts, but I do think there's a substantial non-malicious component to it.

Don't think of yourself as casa moogsies' lab rat. Think of yourself as casa moogsies' space monkey. Set phasers to stun, bro out with Klingons, tell Borg/Cardassians/Romulans to FOAD, and boldly go, and see if you can nail the ample-bosom'd counselor or doctor while you're at it.

• Haha
Reactions: Subway and sussle

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY

It’s never even occurred to me, even with 14 years under my belt, to have a troll, let alone have one more goddamn password to remember. I don‘t care HOW much fun it would be to troll with the powers of a Mod. Y’all are lucky that me and my colleagues have full busy lives and are relatively normal. If any of us had the time or energy to troll, think of what mischief we could cause

But, different strokes for different lunatics I suppose

• Haha
Reactions: brukuns and Mr Doof

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
It’s never even occurred to me, even with 14 years under my belt, to have a troll, let alone have one more goddamn password to remember. I don‘t care HOW much fun it would be to troll with the powers of a Mod. Y’all are lucky that me and my colleagues have full busy lives and are relatively normal. If any of us had the time or energy to troll, think of what mischief we could cause

But, different strokes for different lunatics I suppose
it's more than a password to remember, if you're really working it. it's like having multiple girlfriends: you have to keep your stories straight, remember what you posted and who you were when you posted it, trying to keep your posts worded/styled differently....and of course, don't forget to log in and out, especially when replying to your own posts/threads. i think every forum has a story or two of someone who forgot to change handles in mid-thread and outed themselves in the process. :roflmao:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I am not sure where casa mugrienta's earnest intellectual curiosity in psychology/sociology stops and when attempts to treat posters like ungoverned wind up toys starts, but I do think there's a substantial non-malicious component to it.

Don't think of yourself as casa moogsies' lab rat. Think of yourself as casa moogsies' space monkey. Set phasers to stun, bro out with Klingons, tell Borg/Cardassians/Romulans to FOAD, and boldly go, and see if you can nail the ample-bosom'd counselor or doctor while you're at it.
If someone slings sh!t or an adhominem I’ll sling back.

I think that’s fair.

What’s funny is when a poster will start something then try to point the finger at the target poster for the thread derailment.

I love that. Let’s you know who the true psychopath trolls are.:crazy2::shameonyou:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Shaping up to be Year of AI, with the biggest companies battling it out for your inner most thoughts.

Google launching ChatGPT competitor in weeks. Already in testing.

Microsoft upping their initial investment into ChatGPT to stay ahead of Google

Bard (Google) vs ChatGPT (Microsoft)

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
yeah but you're Scandinavian (or at least your troll persona is. for all i know, you might belong to AFOAF) so you have viking/black Metal cred. that explains much of your bizarre and softly psychopathic posting patterns
Ok, Mr. Subway, YELL has an ER in a couple of days - any sense of how the boys in the C-Suite are feeling?

It's tempting to grab a handful right now, in spite the rule that you should never trade on earnings: stock isn't far from it's all-time low - it's got a lot of room to run ...it's LTTL competitors just turned in a good ER....supply chain issues and fuel prices have eased....just coming out of the holiday season...so a decent ER might bounce the price nicely :shrug:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
AMC jumped today on news they are switching to a new business model for movie ticket pricing.

Standard Sightline
Value Sightline
Preferred Sightline

Im guessing seats in the middle and centered on the screen would be most expensive. And then get cheaper as you radiate out from there. Seats in the very front would be cheapest. They said new pricing model wont apply to matinee movies before 4.30pm.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
AMC jumped today on news they are switching to a new business model for movie ticket pricing.

Standard Sightline
Value Sightline
Preferred Sightline

Im guessing seats in the middle and centered on the screen would be most expensive. And then get cheaper as you radiate out from there. Seats in the very front would be cheapest. They said new pricing model wont apply to matinee movies before 4.30pm.

People still go to see movies?

sussle

Oct 11, 2009

Standard Sightline
Value Sightline
Preferred Sightline

People still pay for movies?

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink