How’s the stock market?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I will add - adequate energy storage for renewable energy does not exist now, and will not exist for the forseeable future - a very important thing to keep in mind.

Most people don't know what a "wind drought" is but they might soon enough.
storage seems to be getting better and better at the residential level :shrug:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
COIN rocketed this morning on news of Blackrock partnership where Blackrock will offer crypto to their clients through Coinbase Prime (Institutional exchange).

COIN shot up 50% before trading halted.

And Cathie Woods sold her 1.4m shares of COIN six days ago at around $65. It's up 70% since she sold for a big loss. :computer:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
COIN rocketed this morning on news of Blackrock partnership where Blackrock will offer crypto to their clients through Coinbase Prime (Institutional exchange).

COIN shot up 50% before trading halted.

And Cathie Woods sold her 1.4m shares of COIN six days ago at around $65. It's up 70% since she sold for a big loss. :computer:
She really knows what she's doing.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
storage seems to be getting better and better at the residential level :shrug:
I had prepared an anecdotal response, but this (same source actually) is much better:

And after you peruse that, a little graph to contemplate with what your read in mind:

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 1.29.38 PM.png

Additionally

Most politicians driving energy policy are ignorant of the ins and out of renewables. Even more, they are ignorant of energy demands and delivery. And the public is grossly unaware.

Remember, some of these people do not even know how to send an email yet they are voting on technology (energy) related issues that are the backbone of civilization.

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I had prepared an anecdotal response, but this (same source actually) is much better:

And after you peruse that, a little graph to contemplate with what your read in mind:

View attachment 135271

Additionally

Most politicians driving energy policy are ignorant of the ins and out of renewables. Even more, they are ignorant of energy demands and delivery. And the public is grossly unaware.

Remember, some of these people do not even know how to send an email yet they are voting on technology (energy) related issues that are the backbone of civilization.
Nice chart.
Realize that the USA currently uses about 4 trillion kWh, so it looks like about a 22% increase in demand by 2050. Easily manageable.

Reactions: sussle

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009

View attachment 135271

Additionally

i'm thinking micro, not macro - i'm not worried about saving the planet. the ability to store power, enough to run my house between the time the next big hurricane hits and the time it takes for them to restore the grid in my neighborhood (usually a couple days, in past experience) is my immediate concern and the home power storage options seem to be getting better and better for this purpose. bonus, they also seem to be scalable. :cheers:

edited for clarity

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Somewhere around the turn of the century, the head of the division was in the mailroom at the same time as I. (He was about 65 at the time.)

He was having trouble with the fax machine.

Spying a moment to brown-nose my way to that of a recognized useful member of the team, chose some words carefully and lied a little:

"Hey ya, Jim, you having some troubles too. Sometimes I think we need to just get rid of that machine or replace it with a modern one."

"Yeah, Mr. Doof, been trying to get this sent for a while and it won't go through."

"Want me to try? Sometimes the paper won't hit the sensor right to start the scan (you would have to be utterly spastic for this to happen), I don't know if that sensor is as fault tolerant as it needs to be (never ever had a problem with this at any fax machine, much less this one).

"Sure." (hands me the fax)

(Making sure I hit '9" first to dial out, then '1' for long distance, then the number. Goes right out, no problem.)

"You have the magic touch, Mr. Doof."

"No problem, Jim."

But did I get a promotion to manager or supervisor?

No.

I blame the shortman cabal, of which Jim would have been a charter member.....they only promote those shorter or no more than an inch taller than them. Certainly couldn't be my lack of managerial qualifications and any overheard witty banter at the expense of my betters. :p

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

View attachment 135271

Additionally

I think the solution is multivariate

I don't get when people poo-poo cutting reliance on oil.

A one seater car that gets 70 miles to the gallon would have a huge effect on consumption.

So would insulation.

So would reusing water.

So would a little nukelear.

In America we are anti efficient.

I love it.

It's like doing a really good bottom turn when you don't bleed off any speed.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I'm using 30 gallons a month with my car.

Then I'm using 15 with my single seat highly efficient light weight car. Times that by all the commuters driving alone.

I know it's just a pipe dream.

I play my fiddle while Rome burns.

Notice how consumption dropped when it went over 5 dollars?

Reactions: lruc