How’s the stock market?

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
don't bet against your 401k unless you are truly bailing out of the system. It always comes back.
Once covid is under control, the economy is going to take off, which wouldn't be that far off from now.
Despite the tremendous job loss over the last year, the stock market is high. Alot of companies are ready to blow!

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
don't bet against your 401k unless you are truly bailing out of the system. It always comes back.
Once covid is under control, the economy is going to take off, which wouldn't be that far off from now.
Despite the tremendous job loss over the last year, the stock market is high. Alot of companies are ready to blow!
Agreed. Most people are not successful with timing the market. I parked a fair amount into a bond fund when the Dow was at 26k thinking that the crash was coming. It did drop 3-4 months later when the Rona hit, but I punked out on buying back in on the upswing. Oh well.

Doubled down in a non-retirement account since then. Beyond a 6 month emergency fund it seems like a waste to save in a traditional bank account at 0.4% (was 2.2% when I started and the best around). Having fun playing the market, but everyones a genius in a bull market, I guess :drowning:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Reactions: afoaf

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
My uncle says Biden is gonna make the stock market crash and my property taxes go way up.

Aside from the obvious fact that property taxes aren’t set by the federal government, I don’t see how those two things can both happen simultaneously.

Reactions: JTS

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
My uncle says Biden is gonna make the stock market crash and my property taxes go way up.

Aside from the obvious fact that property taxes aren’t set by the federal government, I don’t see how those two things can both happen simultaneously.
Your municipality/county/state raises your property tax.
The Stock Market figures out it's in another debt bubble (or there's a 9/11 or a technical error like in the late 80s) and shits itself.

Those things are in no way correlated. That's kind of the whole point of "our team"s position on the fiscal/tax debate. It doesn't directly correlate with the stock market, so by definition the relationship is not directly causal.

It's why all the Conservatives who predicted armageddon when Clinton raised taxes and the minimum wage looked stupid. And why they all looked stupid when the payroll tax holiday and top bracket of the Bush tax cuts were allowed to expire and the market still did fine.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Your municipality/county/state raises your property tax.
The Stock Market figures out it's in another debt bubble (or there's a 9/11 or a technical error like in the late 80s) and shits itself.

Those things are in no way correlated. That's kind of the whole point of "our team"s position on the fiscal/tax debate. It doesn't directly correlate with the stock market, so by definition the relationship is not directly causal.

It's why all the Conservatives who predicted armageddon when Clinton raised taxes and the minimum wage looked stupid. And why they all looked stupid when the payroll tax holiday and top bracket of the Bush tax cuts were allowed to expire and the market still did fine.
yeah i know. That’s why I told my uncle he’s crazy. And he drinks too much vodka.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Secretary of Treasury Yellen says "crypto bad" :(

Crypto barely reacts. :)
Prevailing sentiment on his SEC pick is that he's crypto-friendly and expected to green light a crypto ETF.

Do you buy now in hopes this is the last easy moonshot, when this sh!t gets cleared for Winklevoss ETFs and such.

Or do you buy now and it shits itself like it did in 2018 and you're hodling bags for....three years last time this happened.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
WallStreetBets (WSB) is now 2m members strong. And they just fcked up some Hedge funds by causing a huge short squeeze on GME stock. SEC is now looking at WSB, but they have always treaded carefully and don't allow organized pump and dumps. But when someone posts a particular stock outlook, the crowd knows what to do now. :roflmao:

Reactions: tacos and Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Yes....am happy to see hedge funds being destroyed by their own games.

Have enough $$, you can make the system bend....which is something the monied class has been doing for many years.

Get 50,000 people with $5,000 each and some good tools to leverage via options, take down the institutional shorts.

Last edited:
Reactions: tacos and mundus

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Prevailing sentiment on his SEC pick is that he's crypto-friendly and expected to green light a crypto ETF.

Do you buy now in hopes this is the last easy moonshot, when this sh!t gets cleared for Winklevoss ETFs and such.

Or do you buy now and it shits itself like it did in 2018 and you're hodling bags for....three years last time this happened.
Good questions. Usually you can just figure out whatever I'm doing, do the opposite, and be guaranteed financial success.

Unfortunately, in this case, I really have no idea what I'm doing going forward.

Well, I do know one thing I'm doing - moving off exchange. But how long to hold? Whether or not to buy more? No se, amigo!

Reactions: Mr Doof

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
WallStreetBets (WSB) is now 2m members strong. And they just fcked up some Hedge funds by causing a huge short squeeze on GME stock. SEC is now looking at WSB, but they have always treaded carefully and don't allow organized pump and dumps. But when someone posts a particular stock outlook, the crowd knows what to do now. :roflmao:
did you read about the GameStop stock...?

crazy stuff

I love this mayhem

fk the bosses

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Why GE? A dinosaur. They are basically a company tied to the airline industry but probably long term just a holding company for their long term pension fund.

1 At $7 a share, I like to think of these as long term options that don't expire
2 Healthcare side of things
3 Beaten up stock/contrary/cyclical angle/turn around story
4 Aviation should come back
6 Renewable energy side of things

And of course, a day after the buy, down she goes. :cursing:
Right now that way of investing is dead...unless you are retiring and you don't need growth anymore Even then GE is going to be too volatile...never good or bad enough to make it a good buy. If you are looking for just a safe place to stash your money with limited but safe growth mutual funds are the place to go. If you still plan on working for a decade or more you have to get in tech and put your "safe" money in traditional domestic manufacturing.
GE is doing ok right now. Touched $12 earlier today but now around $11.40. Selling into the good news.

Bought 200 shares at $7 in 9/2020 because I don't have enough money to get more. A little more than 4 months and 60% return (on paper, could go into the toilet a second after I post this).

Is this way of investing still dead...or am I still gambling (probably am gambling, but I like to pretend it is better odds than other methods because of my ego and tiny bit of wit)?

Anyway, just doomed my position by bringing it up.

Last edited:

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
These first weeks of the new year have been horrible for me. Down a ton due to my wildly volatile portfolio :)
But it'll sort itself out and I will get a bunch of money from it.