How’s the stock market?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
At $7 a share, I like to think of these as long term options that don't expire. They might break up, but I don't see bankruptcy., but it isn't like I have $20K to make that bet. Maybe in 10 years, I'll wonder if I shouldn't have just stuck with tulip bulbs.

View attachment 97902
Why GE? A dinosaur. They are basically a company tied to the airline industry but probably long term just a holding company for their long term pension fund.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Nuclear power?
Not a part of GE anymore. GE spun it off to a joint venture with Hitachi. It no longer contributes to GE financials. Jeff Immelt took GE from a world leader in industrial and commercial finance, energy, aerospace, medical, oil and gas and destroyed it by getting in bed with the Obama administration gutting these businesses to curry favor and get invited to parties. Huge strategic error. Once he found out green energy was a financial dead end he went on a buying spree and starting buying up competitors to show Wall Street he was doing something.....but Wall Street was already aware of who Cocktail Party Jeff was at this point. Then they started gutting the company for cash or to cut losses. For instance they owned the automation market before they were even in automation. It used to be when a guy walked into a meeting with the meatball on his card the guys from Siemens, Johnson Controls, Honeywell etc wouldn't even bother, they were done. Now, GE is swinging a missing with the best of them....hoping something comes their way.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Why GE? A dinosaur. They are basically a company tied to the airline industry but probably long term just a holding company for their long term pension fund.
1 At $7 a share, I like to think of these as long term options that don't expire
2 Healthcare side of things
3 Beaten up stock/contrary/cyclical angle/turn around story
4 Aviation should come back
6 Renewable energy side of things

And of course, a day after the buy, down she goes. :cursing:

• Sad
Reactions: the janitor

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
1 At $7 a share, I like to think of these as long term options that don't expire
2 Healthcare side of things
3 Beaten up stock/contrary/cyclical angle/turn around story
4 Aviation should come back
6 Renewable energy side of things

And of course, a day after the buy, down she goes. :cursing:
Right now that way of investing is dead...unless you are retiring and you don't need growth anymore Even then GE is going to be too volatile...never good or bad enough to make it a good buy. If you are looking for just a safe place to stash your money with limited but safe growth mutual funds are the place to go. If you still plan on working for a decade or more you have to get in tech and put your "safe" money in traditional domestic manufacturing.

Also.....Marathon Oil and Chevron. Both are well run, conservative companies that are a good safe bet for future returns for the next 10 years at least. Oil is down....way down. Next year I suspect you'll get 20% on your money. Plus Chevron still feels the sting of losing out on Anadarko and may look to gobble up another mid major....which Marathon fits to a T.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Crypto has cooled off a lot, except BTC which is holding steady above 10. the ALT coin prices are starting to look juicy.

UNI went over 100% today. And you could have received 400 UNI for free, simply by signing up on https://uniswap.org/ and claiming your free UNI coins before Sept 1. And many created 100's of addresses and received a ton. Insta lottery basically. Transfer those coins to your exchange of choice for trading, sell today and insta money, with no risk. Pretty amazing.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: the janitor

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Dow, NASDAQ, Gold, Silver, Oil, and Crypto are taking a big beat down right now.

Blood in the streets. Going to be interesting to see how the markets react as the election nears.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Dow, NASDAQ, Gold, Silver, Oil, and Crypto are taking a big beat down right now. Blood in the streets. Going to be interesting to see how the markets react as the election nears.
Yeah, it's almost like the $1T-$3T deficit party is eventually coming to an end, whether it's Trump/McConnell, Biden/Schumer, or some combo therein.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Yeah, it's almost like the $1T-$3T deficit party is eventually coming to an end, whether it's Trump/McConnell, Biden/Schumer, or some combo therein.
No matter who takes office...the Fed is going to borrow and borrow big. The pieces are going to move on the board but one thing will remain. Buy tech. The pieces that move....investing in domestic manufacturers is a stupid move if its going to be a Biden admin...but you can probably do well with precious metals and foreign currency.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
At $7 a share, I like to think of these as long term options that don't expire. They might break up, but I don't see bankruptcy., but it isn't like I have $20K to make that bet. Maybe in 10 years, I'll wonder if I shouldn't have just stuck with tulip bulbs.

View attachment 97902
Down hard, Doofenstein. $6.25 now. Big % drop

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
if its going to be a Biden admin...but you can probably do well with precious metals and foreign currency.
Brazilian Real has been looking tempting at 5.44 which is almost double what it was when I traveled there, although I'm sure there is a reason for that. Colombian Peso looks good too.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
No matter who takes office...the Fed is going to borrow and borrow big. The pieces are going to move on the board but one thing will remain. Buy tech. The pieces that move....investing in domestic manufacturers is a stupid move if its going to be a Biden admin...but you can probably do well with precious metals and foreign currency.
I agree with you about the Fed, but we saw just the Fed and no major cash spigot in Obama's 2nd term, and while the gains were mostly good, they weren't the same as with Ryan and McConnell shoveling deficit spending on it by the Trillions.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Buy more.
Too early. I want to see blood in the streets and panic on social.

FYI, learn to the use the EDIT button to add multiple replies to same post. Pretty easy. Just hit REPLY on all the posts you want to reply before you type a single reply. See here -> https://forum.surfer.com/index.php?threads/stop-posting-consecutive-posts.226851/

separate reply in same post. oooh amazing.

Buy more.
not that hard

even a kid could figure this out

Buy more.
wow, amazing. how could it be so easy to reply to multiple posts in a single comment?! I never knew!

Last edited: