How’s the stock market?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I have a feeling people are not gonna rush back to fly, go on a cruise or go anyplace crowded for a while after reopening.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I have a feeling people are not gonna rush back to fly, go on a cruise or go anyplace crowded for a while after reopening.

Cruises are fvcking hideous and I can't understand why someone would go on one.

After this is over, I won't be on an airplane for a few years at least.

Reactions: mundus

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Today's presser is gonna be like a fvckin zoo.

The I.M.F. predicts the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.

The International Monetary Fund issued a stark warning about economic damage from the coronavirus, saying on Tuesday that the global economy faces its worst downturn since the Great Depression as shuttered factories, quarantines and national lockdowns cause economic output around the world to collapse.

In its World Economic Outlook, the I.M.F. projected that global growth will contract by 3 percent in 2020, an extraordinary reversal from earlier this year, when the fund forecast that the world economy would outpace 2019 and grow by 3.3 percent. This year’s fall in output would be far more severe than the last recession, when the world economy contracted by less than 1 percent between 2008 and 2009. A 3 percent decline in global output would be the worst since the Great Depression, the I.M.F. said.

“As countries implement necessary quarantines and social distancing practices to contain the pandemic, the world has been put in a Great Lockdown,” said Gita Gopinath, chief economist of the I.M.F. “The magnitude and speed of collapse in activity that has followed is unlike anything experienced in our lifetimes.”

Ms. Gopinath said that the loss of global output will be “far worse” than the 2008 financial crisis and that policymakers are facing an unusual predicament in that traditional stimulus measures are little match for a pandemic that is being fought with shutdowns and quarantines.

“It is very likely that this year the global economy will experience its worst recession since the Great Depression,” she said.

Considerable uncertainty remains, she noted, as the health of the economy will be dictated by the trajectory of the virus. If the pandemic persists into the second half of the year, the contraction could be twice as severe and the anticipated rebound in 2021 could fail to materialize if additional waves of the virus spread later in the year. Over the next two years, the pandemic could shave $9 trillion from global gross domestic product or G.D.P.

Tentatively, the fund projects growth to rebound to 5.8 percent next year.

In 2020, the I.M.F. projects that growth in the United States will fall by 5.9 percent. In the Euro area, growth will fall by 7.5 percent, led by steep declines in Italy and Spain.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Just took a look at my accounts for the first time in a few weeks. I had been afraid to look. I was pleased and surprised to see that things had recovered quite a bit. Don't get be wrong, on paper I've lost a lot of money however I was surprised to see that about 1/3rd of my losses of a couple of weeks back have already been recovered. Hopefully things come roaring back when state governors get the hell out of the way.

Reactions: CutnSnip

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
If I can fly somewhere to surf this summer, I still have my job, and I can get the time off, I sure as f--k will be flying to multiple places to do so. If we're banned from Mexico in Summer, West Coast in Autumn should do nicely.

Reactions: redrider

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
If I can fly somewhere to surf this summer, I still have my job, and I can get the time off, I sure as f--k will be flying to multiple places to do so. If we're banned from Mexico in Summer, West Coast in Autumn should do nicely.
Unless your Governor bends the knee to Gavin and you get some sort of provisionary pending application to the Western States Pact I'm thinking you should focus on Corpus Cristi.

Reactions: obslop

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Unless your Governor bends the knee to Gavin and you get some sort of provisionary pending application to the Western States Pact I'm thinking you should focus on Corpus Cristi.
You want a piece of the Sharkbiscuit?

Come get you some, then, bitch!

Why don't you take your incessant hostile empty threat stares, your 5/4 Buell wetsuits for 54 degree water, your parallel parked sprinter vans blocking every view of the Pacific from Trinidad to Pismo, and your goldfish bowl-worthy halibut, and shove them up your ass? All up in that ass.

Checkmate, motherfooker. FOH with your guppy ass fish and vibed out blown up spots.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Let's stay professional here, this is state politics not personal. I'll rely on Kento to negotiate some strategic loses from various FL football teams. Alternatively, It'd be a shame if Dooley field became a kudzu breeding ground. Would also be a shame if FL launched a unilateral attack on Myrtle Beach.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
I am on the Integration Committee for the Western States Pact.

We are presently accepting applications for amnesty visas from those in the Outer Lands desiring to join us.

Many of you have already been permanently banned from that process and for some of you that are currently within our Zone of Power deportations are pending but . . . for a select few your applications will be viewed favorably.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Let's stay professional here, this is state politics not personal. I'll rely on Kento to negotiate some strategic loses from various FL football teams. Alternatively, It'd be a shame if Dooley field became a kudzu breeding ground. Would also be a shame if FL launched a unilateral attack on Myrtle Beach.
Sept 4th 2027, my fighting Gators will be reporting to Berkeley. Trigger warning; there will be 4 quarters and 40-something points of macroaggressions on whatever the f--k a Golden Bear is.

But yeah, send me the nearest Raider/Condoms fan to negotiate losses. Florida just handled FSU and Miami last year so we're straight there. Pro-wise, a third of this state is mad there are about to be more home games in London than Jacksonville, a third of this state thinks a 43 year old QB behind one of the worst offensive lines in the league is going to work out somehow, and a third are literally Dolphins fans and so your threats of putting avocado on foods that don't necessarily need it won't scare anyone.

I could use a few nights with a floozy bartender from Myrtle Beach who is as bad at family/financial planning as she is awesome at cowgirl.

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I think everyone would be happier if Floridians skipped California entirely and went straight to Oregon and Washington. It would probably be an even more seamless transition for them to go straight to Wasilla where Palin ensured the meth supply lines are intact.

And the best part of all would be watching Floridian transplants yell "Go Dawgs!" at the start of each Iditarod.

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I think everyone would be happier if Floridians skipped California entirely and went straight to Oregon and Washington. It would probably be an even more seamless transition for them to go straight to Wasilla where Palin ensured the meth supply lines are intact.

And the best part of all would be watching Floridian transplants yell "Go Dawgs!" at the start of each Iditarod.
SoCal all full up with people from Iowa who came to see the Hawkeyes put 50 on the Condoms, and stayed for the San Diego "winter"?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Yeah the USC defense has had the same authoritative presence as Manti Te'o's girlfriend and Trump's infrastructure week.
Not a fair comparison. USC defense actually existed, it just laid back and gave it up. Te'o's girlfriend would have to exist to even do that much. Unless you're referring to the Leprechaun?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I am on the Integration Committee for the Western States Pact.

We are presently accepting applications for amnesty visas from those in the Outer Lands desiring to join us.

Many of you have already been permanently banned from that process and for some of you that are currently within our Zone of Power deportations are pending but . . . for a select few your applications will be viewed favorably.
WEST IS BEST