How’s the stock market?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Don’t most semiconductors come from Taiwan? Are they adding tariffs to them as well?

China is several years behind in semiconductor technology so I’d guess that is for low tech applications.
Intel's fab in Hillsboro, OR, just got a new ASML machine. Tuning it now. This fab is more R&D related than pure commercial manufacturing.

Part of the CHIPs act is bring more of the high end manufacturing back to USA soil, but, USA still has a reasonable number of fabs for low and middle range chips.

By the way, does anyone know about the Goleta based chip designer/parts manufacture, Transform....specifically, does top mngt surf? If so let me know so I can short them. ;)

Reactions: kawika

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Two weeks ago, after a bad earnings, GME was down around $10-11. I needed to pay my taxes so I sold 606 shares for $6k. I held these for about 3 years and paid $13K for them. I thought about buying some calls for the next month as I was going to buy back in, but decided to be cheap and didn’t. Then RK tweeted. Sometimes it really feels like the market is out to get you personally. There’s no way I could have known he was gonna tweet, but here I am on the sidelines with my $6k mailed to the IRS that would be worth $30k if I held it.
Sounds like gambling.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
One of us is conflating, but it's not me.
Youre not? I asked you where China is most advanced, and you went into talking about manufacturing. I agree that they are dominant in that aspect, but that is not the same as innovation. If they were the most innovative then they wouldn’t be sending their students to go to school and their spies here to steal everything (often the same people). Then you used steel as an example, which is one of the oldest and most basic bitch commodities on the planet that hasn’t really changed all that much compared to other sectors.

So I’ll ask again- in what sectors is China at the top of the spear in respect to innovation/R&D? :unsure:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Youre not? I asked you where China is most advanced, and you went into talking about manufacturing.
Actually, you asked what industries China dominated.
1715804930892.png

I agree that they are dominant in that aspect, but that is not the same as innovation.
I wasn't arguing it was. The only example you gave of where we are more innovative is TSMC which is Taiwanese and ASML which is a Dutch MNC.
If they were the most innovative then they wouldn’t be sending their students to go to school and their spies here to steal everything (often the same people).
Again, I wasn't arguing over whether they were more innovative, but whether they were more dominant and whether they would quickly catch up in semiconductors.
Then you used steel as an example, which is one of the oldest and most basic bitch commodities on the planet that hasn’t really changed all that much compared to other sectors.
I answered the question you asked (see above and read your own questions). I then told you to use a search engine to find their other industries China dominates since I'm not going to look everything up for you. You can hire a research assistant if you're too lazy like other Westerners.
So I’ll ask again- in what sectors is China at the top of the spear in respect to innovation/R&D? :unsure:
If you knew anything about tech, you'd notice the pace of technological innovation has slowed-down throughout the world over the past 40-50 years, so it's unfair to demand too much innovation from the Chinese. I mean, we're arguing over whether SMIC achieves 3 nm 3 years later than TSMC is significant :rolleyes:. I merely said they'd catch-up then dominate like they have other industries. I'm not expecting cold fusion out of them, but neither am I expecting it out of us, thus we're in no position to gloat.

One place they seem to have us beat though is hypersonic glide vehicles.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Actually, you asked what industries China dominated.
View attachment 180469
When I said high value I meant advanced and proprietary. I should’ve been more specific, although we weee talking about semiconductors so somewhat implied. Saying steel is high value is like saying that soybeans are high value because the world sells a lot of them by volume.

One place they seem to have us beat though is hypersonic glide vehicles.
So you have 1 example of where China is ahead from an innovation perspective. Thanks for making my point for me.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
When I said high value I meant advanced and proprietary. I should’ve been more specific, although we weee talking about semiconductors so somewhat implied. Saying steel is high value is like saying that soybeans are high value because the world sells a lot of them by volume.
I already covered the distinctions of "price/performance" - they can move up the value chain in semiconductors like they've done in every other industry. I gave 3 examples but it wasn't an exhaustive list. (Do your own research). Again, they don't even have to be the technical leader in semiconductors to suck a lot of profits out of their competitors in other countries and put them out of business.

So you have 1 example of where China is ahead from an innovation perspective. Thanks for making my point for me.
It wasn't a point we were arguing. That was going on in your head.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
LOL. He phrases it like inflation is currently 20 percent and was 1.4% when Soft Top took office. Clicking the link he provided for the 1.4% number, it's now 3.4%

The author is a right wing ALEC retard shill.
Yeah, the Bureau of Labor and Statistics is a "right wing ALEC retard shill". lol. :crazy2: :roflmao:

Swing and miss!:loser:

Screen Shot 2024-05-16 at 12.03.27 AM.png

Reactions: PRCD

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yeah, the Bureau of Labor and Statistics is a "right wing ALEC retard shill". lol. :crazy2: :roflmao:

Swing and miss!:loser:

View attachment 180471
The author is a member of ALEC; that's a fact.

The author tries to imply inflation went from 1.4% to 20%.

You have a habit of posting Op Eds from The Hill that are straight dogshit. This is no exception.

Reactions: Aruka and sussle

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

You have a habit of posting Op Eds from The Hill that are straight dogshit. This is no exception.
I don't know or care what ALEC is.

The Bureau of Labor and Statistics says prices are up 20% since 2020 (which is actually right in line with inflation calculated by the old Fed method:unsure: not to mention prices consumers are experiencing)

Go ahead and spin that however you want by using ad hominem lol; the numbers don't lie. :shrug:

Screen Shot 2024-05-16 at 12.03.27 AM.png

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I don't know or care what ALEC is.

The Bureau of Labor and Statistics says prices are up 20% since 2020 (which is actually right in line with inflation calculated by the old Fed method:unsure: not to mention prices consumers are experiencing)

Go ahead and spin that however you want by using ad hominem lol; the numbers don't lie. :shrug:

View attachment 180473
The author used a cumulative number for one politician and a snapshot for the other.

Stating that cumulative inflation under Soft Top is 20% is a fact. But trying to compare 1.4% to 20% is not.

Calling that spin after posting an Op Ed from The Hill is amusing.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
After a couple years of rate hikes, it's pretty fun to experience the positive effect of the absence of rate hikes. Looking forward to an actual rate cut, hopefully before the end of the year. The market might actually go berserk.:dancing:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

Such a dumb article. I don't know what ALEC is but based on the tone I'm guessing right wing billionaire funded think tank?

He says inflation under 3 years of Soft Top is 20% (numbers I found say 18.7% but whatever) and then he says under Thruster inflation was 1.4% but he's using the yearly inflation instead of comparing apples to apples.

A fair comparison comes to 18.7% for Bidens first 3 years and 6.2% for Trumps first 3 years.

There's no need to exaggerate to make the point that inflation is worse under Soft Top.

But then if you look at the inflation experienced in much of the rest of the world over the same 3 year period and you realize that it could be so much worse.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Such a dumb article. I don't know what ALEC is but based on the tone I'm guessing right wing billionaire funded think tank?

He says inflation under 3 years of Soft Top is 20% (numbers I found say 18.7% but whatever) and then he says under Thruster inflation was 1.4% but he's using the yearly inflation instead of comparing apples to apples.

A fair comparison comes to 18.7% for Bidens first 3 years and 6.2% for Trumps first 3 years.

There's no need to exaggerate to make the point that inflation is worse under Soft Top.

But then if you look at the inflation experienced in much of the rest of the world over the same 3 year period and you realize that it could be so much worse.
Your guess is correct. The usual Falwell/Heritage/S&L scandal types.

I find it discouraging that the labor market cooling is a bullish signal because it'll increase the leverage capacity.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009

i'm not following this thread closely so apologies if this point was already raised: how does the distinction get drawn between those companies that raised prices because their costs actually went up and those companies who saw opportunity in the current economic climate and raised prices simply to increase profitability?

Reactions: bruhdakine