How’s the stock market?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Nah and I probably would if I had any skin in the game but kinda don’t care enough. I decided to stay away from all the Reddit meme bullshit stocks bc they’re too volatile. Guess that’s good if you’re into trading and know what you’re doing. Neither are in my wheelhouse. Even if they were I’m too fucking lazy lol. I’m also fucking stocked I was right about CRWD and dont see the train slowing down

View attachment 180367
i wouldn't board that GME train but i gotta admit, i loved watching it go by. this whole episode highlighted some of what goes on behind the curtain and the slimebags in this episode are the people/organization/system/processes/whatever that allow 140% of the stock to be shorted at the same time. if you're looking for seedy/grifty, start there. the notion that a bunch of random strangers on a website can get together and collectively bankrupt a bunch of professional bottom-feeders warms my black heart no end.:cheers:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Don’t most semiconductors come from Taiwan? Are they adding tariffs to them as well?

China is several years behind in semiconductor technology so I’d guess that is for low tech applications.
Many, yes, but mobile phones, digital cameras, televisions, washing machines, refrigerators and LED bulbs have semiconductors and much of those things come from "Chaina".

Reactions: grapedrink and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Many, yes, but mobile phones, digital cameras, televisions, washing machines, refrigerators and LED bulbs have semiconductors and much of those things come from "Chaina".
China's semiconductor fab is getting better and better. If they want to be dominant, they will. TSMC and ASML have little recourse if China wants to steal all the IP necessary for 7 nm processes.

There are Chinese spies in just about every American and Taiwanese tech company stealing everything they can and now they have the mfg and engineering talent to dominate since we sent all the mfg and engineering to China since the '70s and dollar dominance made it easier to import than export. Now we're going to try to have a trade war with them when we don't have the regulatory environment or know-how to onshore any of this.

This will be highly inflationary on the supply side.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
China's semiconductor fab is getting better and better. If they want to be dominant, they will. TSMC and ASML have little recourse if China wants to steal all the IP necessary for 7 nm processes.
China will always be several years behind no matter how much IP they steal because the top experts pushing the envelope will still be in Taiwan. The machinery required to build semiconductors is only produced in a small handful of western nations and they are not allowed to sell those machines to China. This guy covers the issue extensively:

Reactions: Chocki

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
China will always be several years behind no matter how much IP they steal because the top experts pushing the envelope will still be in Taiwan. The machinery required to build semiconductors is only produced in a small handful of western nations and they are not allowed to sell those machines to China. This guy covers the issue extensively:
Delusional.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Disasturbational.
Fixed.

"Wants to", "could" are all hypothetical and in the future tense. When all you do is copy what's in the present you never get in front of it. By the time China finishes that facility the competition currently in the lead will have developed something more advanced.

But I guess your curly haired youtuber with 4K subscribers knows better than a PhD who studied the issue extensively enough to write a book about it :roflmao:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Fixed.

"Wants to", "could" are all hypothetical and in the future tense. When all you do is copy what's in the present you never get in front of it. By the time China finishes that facility the competition currently in the lead will have developed something more advanced.
When the Chinese set their minds to something, they do it. I've watched them take over a lot of other industries where people like you said the same thing. The fact that they're starting at the low end and moving up the value chain might mean they're behind but still sucking profits out of the leaders who can no longer compete in those price/performance ranges. This means the leaders will have less money for R&D.
But I guess your curly haired youtuber with 4K subscribers knows better than a PhD who studied the issue extensively enough to write a book about it :roflmao:
Some humanities "pile it higher and deeper" knows a lot about Chinese engineering and tech competition. :rolleyes: These airport bookstore nonfiction books are just for coddled middle managers prone to groupthink. Can we think of a time in the recent past when credentialed people told you something that turned out not to be true? :socrazy:

Attachments

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
When the Chinese set their minds to something, they do it. I've watched them take over a lot of other industries where people like you said the same thing. The fact that they're starting at the low end and moving up the value chain might mean they're behind but still sucking profits out of the leaders who can no longer compete in those price/performance ranges. This means the leaders will have less money for R&D.
What high value industries is China dominating? Nobody trusts anything coming out of China which is why they stick to commodities like socks and toothbrushes.

Some humanities "pile it higher and deeper" knows a lot about Chinese engineering and tech competition
And this guy with 4200 subscribers is some kind of "expert" :unsure:

Screen Shot 2024-05-14 at 8.59.07 PM.png

:roflmao:

Reactions: Chocki

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
What high value industries is China dominating?
China produces all the Apple and Android handsets. It makes all of Apple's stuff.

They also dominate shipbuilding.

Steel:

I don't have time to post everything China dominates. Search works on your end if you have the wits to use it.
Nobody trusts anything coming out of China which is why they stick to commodities like socks and toothbrushes.
Pretty much everything you own was made there. Look at the labels of the stuff you own, compute the percentage that say, "Made in China," then get back to me about whether you trust Chinese goods.

And this guy with 4200 subscribers is some kind of "expert" :unsure:
:roflmao:
I never said he was. He was summarizing open sources which is why I posted him.

You're a great example of Western arrogance and hubris (proverbs 16:18).

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
China produces all the Apple and Android handsets. It makes all of Apple's stuff.
Manufacturing, yes. Development, no. They can do it cheaper because they have the cheap/slave labor base and the infrastructure in already in place. Very little of which is proprietary on their end.

They also dominate shipbuilding.

Steel:
Having the largest capacity and cheapest product doesn't mean that they produce the best product. You are conflating quantity/scale with quality and technological advancement.

Pretty much everything you own was made there. Look at the labels of the stuff you own, compute the percentage that say, "Made in China," then get back to me about whether you trust Chinese goods.
Again- see my comments above. The manufacturing may be done in China but the companies themselves are based in US, western Europe, China, Japan, Korea . .. . Why is that :unsure: Why don't we have more Chinese based competitors for all the products we use everyday :unsure:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
No.

And I would say "arrogance and hubris" has been the West's defining feature since the USA decided dropping a nuke was OK.
I dont disagree. I need to read this book it is supposed to be really good.

"From Pulitzer Prize-winning historian Garry Wills, a groundbreaking examination of how the atomic bomb profoundly altered the nature of American democracy and has left us in a state of war alert ever since."

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Manufacturing, yes. Development, no. They can do it cheaper because they have the cheap/slave labor base and the infrastructure in already in place. Very little of which is proprietary on their end.
Do yourself a favor. Go to a local engineering school and count the number of Chinese in a lower division class and the number of Americans. When I was in engineering school, there were a lot of Chinese and few Americans. If you think they're only manufacturing in China, I can't help you.
Having the largest capacity and cheapest product doesn't mean that they produce the best product. You are conflating quantity/scale with quality and technological advancement.
One of us is conflating, but it's not me. You're not even reading what I've been writing. Within arm's reach, almost everything you're using was made in China. Would you say it's low quality? To the extent that they're only dominating industries on the low and mid-range, do you think China will be content to stay there - that they don't aspire to move up or lack the technical ability? Take steel - do you think they don't have the technical know-how to produce high-quality steel? Semiconductors are another example. They're improving rapidly. Saying, "They're a generation behind" means, "3 years behind" in that world, or roughly how far Intel is behind AMD.

One of the ways you get better at things is by doing it a lot, and China does a lot of mfg.

Again- see my comments above. The manufacturing may be done in China but the companies themselves are based in US, western Europe, China, Japan, Korea . .. . Why is that :unsure: Why don't we have more Chinese based competitors for all the products we use everyday :unsure:
Again, within arm's reach, everything you're using was made there. You can think of Apple as a Chinese company with an American storefront more than the other way around since they're captive to their Chinese contract mfr Foxconn.

You read a book on this. The book you read may be loaded with facts but it's slanted by delusional Western hubris. Did you ever wonder what made that author study that topic? You think he woke up one morning during the pursuit of his useless PhD and thought, "I want to write a book on the semiconductor industry?" His previous books are all slanted along the lines of TLA propaganda as well, except they're about RUSHAAA!!

The fact is three letter agencies maintain a stable of authors to promote their agenda. How do you think Mark Bowden obtains all the information he uses to write his books? Do you think he really flew down to Colombia and started interviewing the locals about Pablo Escobar?

I, on the other hand, have been to China several times, worked with them, and went to school with a lot of them. They have their problems but technical knowledge and work ethic are not among them. The fact that they are 3 years behind in semiconductor fab is just a challenge for them to overcome and will not, in anyway, halt their dominance unless we decide to pull our sh1t together.

Reactions: Aruka

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I dont disagree. I need to read this book it is supposed to be really good.

"From Pulitzer Prize-winning historian Garry Wills, a groundbreaking examination of how the atomic bomb profoundly altered the nature of American democracy and has left us in a state of war alert ever since."
To me, the highlight of "Oppenheimer" was when Isador Rabi said, "I don't want the culmination of the last three centuries of physics to be a bomb." It was prophetic. After WWII, physics went into steep decline as if God closed our minds and cursed our wits.

Grapes saying "trust the experts" and PRCD is bagging on western civilization.

Am I taking crazy pills?
I'm not bagging on it. I'm calling on it to repent of its arrogance, laziness and self-delusion. :waving:

Reactions: Aruka

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Do yourself a favor. Go to a local engineering school and count the number of Chinese in a lower division class and the number of Americans. When I was in engineering school, there were a lot of Chinese and few Americans. If you think they're only manufacturing in China, I can't help you.

One of us is conflating, but it's not me. You're not even reading what I've been writing. Within arm's reach, almost everything you're using was made in China. Would you say it's low quality? To the extent that they're only dominating industries on the low and mid-range, do you think China will be content to stay there - that they don't aspire to move up or lack the technical ability? Take steel - do you think they don't have the technical know-how to produce high-quality steel? Semiconductors are another example. They're improving rapidly. Saying, "They're a generation behind" means, "3 years behind" in that world, or roughly how far Intel is behind AMD.

One of the ways you get better at things is by doing it a lot, and China does a lot of mfg.

Again, within arm's reach, everything you're using was made there. You can think of Apple as a Chinese company with an American storefront more than the other way around since they're captive to their Chinese contract mfr Foxconn.

You read a book on this. The book you read may be loaded with facts but it's slanted by delusional Western hubris. Did you ever wonder what made that author study that topic? You think he woke up one morning during the pursuit of his useless PhD and thought, "I want to write a book on the semiconductor industry?" His previous books are all slanted along the lines of TLA propaganda as well, except they're about RUSHAAA!!

The fact is three letter agencies maintain a stable of authors to promote their agenda. How do you think Mark Bowden obtains all the information he uses to write his books? Do you think he really flew down to Colombia and started interviewing the locals about Pablo Escobar?

I, on the other hand, have been to China several times, worked with them, and went to school with a lot of them. They have their problems but technical knowledge and work ethic are not among them. The fact that they are 3 years behind in semiconductor fab is just a challenge for them to overcome and will not, in anyway, halt their dominance unless we decide to pull our sh1t together.
Fuck your Chinese overlords bro

1715780387622.gif