How’s the stock market?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
IMO, the term bootcamp is associated with for-profit learning and generally not beneficial for anyone but the business behind the bootcamp.

so while it may bring in revenue, it does not speak well to their product usability.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
That article was a farrago of marketing buzzwords. The boot camps are what I said.

For the record, Palantir seems to have solid net revenues, but it's 100% government since large corporations such as big banks are also part of the government. Due to the difficulty and obscurity of the product, it seems like it will have trouble scaling even if they spend more money educating the customer. The result was missed forecasts in 2023. Palantir's P/E ratio seems delusional.

Edit: yikes. Judging by the abysmal net profits, this is a low-margin business - it's basically a consulting company.

1706708219624.png

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Comparing the P/E, market cap, and net revenues to similar companies, and judging by Karp's net worth, it appears Karp issued a large proportion of the initial shares to himself and "key stakeholders."

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
That article was a farrago of marketing buzzwords. The boot camps are what I said.

For the record, Palantir seems to have solid net revenues, but it's 100% government since large corporations such as big banks are also part of the government. Due to the difficulty and obscurity of the product, it seems like it will have trouble scaling even if they spend more money educating the customer. The result was missed forecasts in 2023. Palantir's P/E ratio seems delusional.

Edit: yikes. Judging by the abysmal net profits, this is a low-margin business - it's basically a consulting company.

View attachment 171728
From the above article
1706715255428.png

1706715293566.png

1706715326696.png

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

View attachment 171728
You made me think of “solutions architects“.

deploy the software, train the staff how to use it, hope they renew annually.

Not that it can’t be profitable but it seems thats what they are. its like financial software applied to unstructured data. Imo, that has a high potential for garbage in garbage out and that’s where their customer training is essential.

since they are now boot camping their clients, it would seem garbage in garbage out is already a problem.

Reactions: PRCD

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Judge blocked Elon's $50b compensation package.

That's an obscene amount of cash. I've never heard of any compensation package over about $500m and that seems pretty rare. But $50 billion... goddamn.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
You made me think of “solutions architects“.

deploy the software, train the staff how to use it, hope they renew annually.

Not that it can’t be profitable but it seems thats what they are. its like financial software applied to unstructured data. Imo, that has a high potential for garbage in garbage out and that’s where their customer training is essential.

since they are now boot camping their clients, it would seem garbage in garbage out is already a problem.
Im of the opinion they have badass software myself bc of their previous experiences working with the military

As I understand it, their boot camps are an opportunity for them to show clients what they can do for them by building a ground up solution over the course of the boot camp while at the same time incorporating what they learn from prospective clients data, wants and needs etc into future iterations of their products

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
This one gives you more insights into tech layoffs:
Layoffs are why tech stocks are up right now. the FAANGs are now in their "perpetual rounds of lay-offs" phase the hardware industry went through a generation ago.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
5:00 is the meat. Overhiring has propped-up share prices. It's "employee farming." Most "tech" companies probably have 5-10x more devs than they need.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Regional banks taking a beating again. More trouble in that sector with NY Community Bankcorp leading the way. Down almost 50% in two days.

TSLA sliding again with poor outlook for long term. Nearly my entire stock watchlist is in the red today.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
If TSLA gets to around $125, I'd sell some of my SMCI to buy some.
I'm also hoping for sub 150.

Interesting (or not), Elon is pissed Delaware judge blocked his $56b compensation. So Elon tweets a poll. Should TSLA move incorporation from Delaware to Texas? Poll said yes, so he announced today that will happen. Lol

Which EV narrative to believe though? EV hype dying? Rest of auto makers catching up fast? People realizing 10 year battery life sucks? Everyone who wanted an EV has one, so sales will drop off?

Toyota says fuck EVs and still going hybrid. Will they prove TSLA wrong?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'm also hoping for sub 150.

Interesting (or not), Elon is pissed Delaware judge blocked his $56b compensation. So Elon tweets a poll. Should TSLA move incorporation from Delaware to Texas? Poll said yes, so he announced today that will happen. Lol

Which EV narrative to believe though? EV hype dying? Rest of auto makers catching up fast? People realizing 10 year battery life sucks? Everyone who wanted an EV has one, so sales will drop off?

Toyota says fuck EVs and still going hybrid. Will they prove TSLA wrong?
The US car market is big enough that the manufacturers will weigh sales vs regulations, but it probably still depends a fair bit on what Yurop and Asia do. Basically every motorcycle smaller than the 650 twins and 600 supersports is built to absolutely max out Euro A2 regulations, and the smaller-displacement bikes in the US get whatever hits the A1/A2 marks across the pond.

Elon was stocked when the corpowhores in Delaware did his bidding and now he's not stocked when a shareholder(s) says LOL you are butt buddies with the board or LOL you, an individual, vs Twitter the business entity = corporations are not people and people lose LOL u loose.

It's not like he picked Delaware for any reason other than taxation/corporate friendliness.

Reactions: r32

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I don't know how sensible this (theoretical) move would be but will comment anyway :p

Texas has kind of high taxes in some regards (to make up for no state income tax?).....my sister in Dallas pays more property tax than I do in San Francisco, and the combined state/local sales tax is on par with SF (and higher than other parts of the Bay Area). The bro-in-law has mentioned Texas lack of corporate taxing but hasn't said much about Texas's gross receipts tax they levy.

I mean, there is a reason why companies chose Delaware to incorporate.......but then again, Musk runs companies, so he likely knows all about making choices that are good for the shareholders.

Last edited: