How’s the stock market?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Interesting video. I remember living through stagflation in the '70s, it sucked ass. 10 to 12% inflation, 8 to 10% unemployment, the whole works.

Fortunately, we currently have moderate inflation on top of a robust economy with historically low unemployment, as opposed to stagflation.

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah even if China bungled their way to world domination would they really run things any better?

i can tolerate our idiots more than theirs, for the most part

I also just cannot picture a petro yuan

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Yeah even if China bungled their way to world domination would they really run things any better?

So countries that all have far worse track records of currency valuation/volatility, unsafe banking, and corruption banding together, where the elites of those countries still put their money into US banks and assets, is supposed to be a threat :unsure: :roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
So countries that all have far worse track records of currency valuation/volatility, unsafe banking, and corruption banding together, where the elites of those countries still put their money into US banks and assets, is supposed to be a threat :unsure: :roflmao:
Yeah, I think the corruption will bite those guys in the ass.

Rich people like rule of law when it benefits them.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

China is a fucking sh!t show.

Corrupt like Russia.

That corruption bites you in the ass when you need to get sh!t done

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah that’s what I getting at. We are far from perfect but these places all sound just systemically and dysfunctionally corrupt and inefficient and on and on.

take it for granted or not, but having some sort of true rule of law, fumbling but overall effective and reliable civil services, enforceable contracts, and real recourse if someone does you dirty….these are FAR from a given in many other countries.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
What if debt-backed fiat money and bombing aren’t the only way to wield influence?

Your take is very patriotic though.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
What if debt-backed fiat money and bombing aren’t the only way to wield influence?

Your take is very patriotic though.
With all of the pro China social media shilling it’s hard to know what to believe. And there is certainly far less red tape in Africa so it wouldn’t surprise me if these jobs do get done much faster than infrastructure projects here and at a level of quality far beyond what the local governments are capable of.

That said, while we certainly have our financial issues, the BRICS countries have far worse social and financial shenanigans. People in China use every opportunity to get their money out of China because their system is far less secure than ours. Brukuns has mentioned how his parents had money in their bank accounts expropriated. So yeah, I’m not too concerned about countries like that banding together because the global trust in those currencies will simply not be there.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Yeah that’s what I getting at. We are far from perfect but these places all sound just systemically and dysfunctionally corrupt and inefficient and on and on.

take it for granted or not, but having some sort of true rule of law, fumbling but overall effective and reliable civil services, enforceable contracts, and real recourse if someone does you dirty….these are FAR from a given in many other countries.
Funny, in an ironic way, I guess.... you described the exact reasons I felt lacking in America which drove me to leave, as your reasons to prefer American global domination.

America is "dysfunctionally corrupt and inefficient" to a point where IMHO it cannot ever be fauxed.

Also, the whole "having some sort of true rule of law, fumbling but overall effective and reliable civil services, enforceable contracts, and real recourse if someone does you dirty" really depends on who you are, what zip code you live in and most importantly how many millions you have freed up to invest in attorneys.

If you don't believe me, just ask any poor person that has been "done dirty" over and over and over by Americas most beloved citizens of all... Corporations.

:unsure::shameonyou::foreheadslap:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
It happens everywhere. And it always has. Usually your only recourse is to march over to the other village with your cousins and hack off the offenders limbs and steal his daughters and other valuables.

id like to at least TRY small claims court before I start rallying the neighbors for a good old fashioned “rape n raid“‘on the jerks over on Coolidge ave. They know what they did!!!

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Funny, in an ironic way, I guess.... you described the exact reasons I felt lacking in America which drove me to leave, as your reasons to prefer American global domination.

America is "dysfunctionally corrupt and inefficient" to a point where IMHO it cannot ever be fauxed.

Also, the whole "having some sort of true rule of law, fumbling but overall effective and reliable civil services, enforceable contracts, and real recourse if someone does you dirty" really depends on who you are, what zip code you live in and most importantly how many millions you have freed up to invest in attorneys.

If you don't believe me, just ask any poor person that has been "done dirty" over and over and over by Americas most beloved citizens of all... Corporations.

:unsure::shameonyou::foreheadslap:
How about the billions of poor folks in other countries who were done dirty simply by having the bad luck of being born in Zimbabwe, or perhaps a Uighur in China. You’re beat before you even have a chance.

in the US, unles you have Job-like bad luck- any idiot with a scrap of work ethic can make a comfortable living.

ask any true blue American dream chasing first generation arrival. They LOL when they hear Americans complain about the “system” and “it’s impossible to get ahead” meanwhile Abdul was born to a goat herding father and a mother with a 2nd grade education, somehow made it here, and now owns 3 convenience stores and makes a half mill a year And HIS daughter is going to Stanford in the fall…

“This is America Babu! the Americans think this stuff is hard! My father now has 100 goats and lives in a walled compound outside Kabul and he now has THREE wives with 2nd grade educations!”

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
With all of the pro China social media shilling it’s hard to know what to believe. And there is certainly far less red tape in Africa so it wouldn’t surprise me if these jobs do get done much faster than infrastructure projects here and at a level of quality far beyond what the local governments are capable of.

That said, while we certainly have our financial issues, the BRICS countries have far worse social and financial shenanigans. People in China use every opportunity to get their money out of China because their system is far less secure than ours. Brukuns has mentioned how his parents had money in their bank accounts expropriated. So yeah, I’m not too concerned about countries like that banding together because the global trust in those currencies will simply not be there.
China is a fucking sh!t show.

It will be eagle and the arrow fable for them.

Reactions: grapedrink