How’s the stock market?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
There’s more to it than that.

Look at the holdings of the index funds first. So important.

My wife’s employer automatically enrolls her and some sort of socially and environmentally ethical companies index fund. Puke.

Mine has top holdings in the FANG stocks and meme stocks. Idiotic.
Not sure what index tracks environmental or ethical companies. An SP500, Dow or Nasdaq is pretty straightforward and more importantly self correcting, which is why it works.

Reactions: sussle

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
If you could freestyle on that bought out bit that'd be swell. The powers-that-be at my employer are all mid-60s plus, have enough loot, and mostly have grandkids. The intention has always been to sell, but now the clock is ticking extra hard.
The :toilet: is indicative of how well (or not) those Stonks have served me.

That said, after lots of vetting and lost opportunity cost in the wrong places, for my Roth IRA I like the following ETFs: SOXQ (semiconductor), CIBR (cybersecurity), and QCLN (clean energy/tech). All are well diversified in the big players for their space and the price per unit is low enough to load up on a few of each every paycheck when DCA’ing 1/24th of the allowed amount per year :computer: Other than that I keep most of my 401k vanilla AF

Reactions: Subway

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Not sure what index tracks environmental or ethical companies. An SP500, Dow or Nasdaq is pretty straightforward and more importantly self correcting, which is why it works.
Standard and Poors has such an index.

NASDAQ is tech-heavy, DJIA the weighting thing is LOL even if the Dogs do well.

I find it a little odd-sounding that casa moogsies says this component of wife's compensation is auto-deposited into virtue signaling fund on the whim of employer or investment service provider. But what he may well be talking about is his wife's employee benefits package has a "socially responsible" ETF among the options and it auto-buys? I like the option but auto all egg one basketing is grounds for executing the Czar's family on comrade mugrienta's behalf.

For example, my HSA options appear to have been completely commandeered by Vanguard. My socially responsible option?

VFTAX - VANGUARD FTSE SOCIAL INDEX ADMIRAL

It has 480 something individual stocks. LuLuLemon. Visa. Hershey. Hilton. News Corp. Nike. AT&T. Basically, not some miners and petro outfits? And maybe it's the London listings because it's FTSE?

My HSA just gets put into the account for me to do whatever I want with, minus the baseline cash on hand requirement whatever that is like $2-3K.

The top ones are ones I've had forever and can't buy more of. The list of Vanguards is my current options.

ARTKXARTISAN INTERNATIONAL VALUE INVESTOR
HEMZXVIRTUS VONTOBEL EMERGING MARKETS OPPS A
JGMRXJANUS HENDERSON TRITON R
LCEIXINVESCO DIVERSIFIED DIVIDEND INVESTOR
MINGXMFS INTERNATIONAL INTRINSIC VALUE R3
NICSXNICHOLAS
PEMGXPRINCIPAL MIDCAP A
WCEYXDELAWARE IVY CORE EQUITY FUND CLASS Y
SMGIXCOLUMBIA CONTRARIAN CORE FD CL INST
VBIRXVANGUARD SHORT-TERM BOND INDEX ADM
VBMPXVANGUARD TOTAL BOND MARKET IDX INSTLPLS
VEMIXVANGUARD EMERGING MKTS STOCK IDX INSTL
VEMPXVANGUARD EXTENDED MARKET INDEX INSTLPLUS
VFFVXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2055 FUND
VFIFXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2050 FUND
VFORXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2040 FUND
VFTAXVANGUARD FTSE SOCIAL INDEX ADMIRAL
VGSNXVANGUARD REAL ESTATE INDEX INSTITUTIONAL
VIGIXVANGUARD GROWTH INDEX INSTITUTIONAL
VIIIXVANGUARD INST INDEX INSTL PLUS
VIPIXVANGUARD INFLATION-PROTECTED SECS I
VLXVXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2065 FUND
VMIAXVANGUARD MATERIALS INDEX ADMIRAL
VMVAXVANGUARD MID-CAP VALUE INDEX ADMIRAL
VSIAXVANGUARD SMALL CAP VALUE INDEX ADMIRAL
VSMAXVANGUARD SMALL CAP INDEX ADM
VTABXVANGUARD TOTAL INTL BD IDX ADMIRAL
VTAPXVANGUARD SHRT-TERM INFL-PROT SEC IDX ADM
VTHRXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2030 FUND
VTINXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT INCOME FUND
VTIVXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2045 FUND
VTPSXVANGUARD TOTAL INTL STOCK IDX INSTLPLS
VTTHXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2035 FUND
VTTSXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2060 FUND
VTTVXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2025 FUND
VTWNXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2020 FUND
VVIAXVANGUARD VALUE INDEX ADM
VWIAXVANGUARD WELLESLEY INCOME ADMIRAL

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Standard and Poors has such an index.

NASDAQ is tech-heavy, DJIA the weighting thing is LOL even if the Dogs do well.

I find it a little odd-sounding that casa moogsies says this component of wife's compensation is auto-deposited into virtue signaling fund on the whim of employer or investment service provider. But what he may well be talking about is his wife's employee benefits package has a "socially responsible" ETF among the options and it auto-buys? I like the option but auto all egg one basketing is grounds for executing the Czar's family on comrade mugrienta's behalf.

For example, my HSA options appear to have been completely commandeered by Vanguard. My socially responsible option?

VFTAX - VANGUARD FTSE SOCIAL INDEX ADMIRAL

It has 480 something individual stocks. LuLuLemon. Visa. Hershey. Hilton. News Corp. Nike. AT&T. Basically, not some miners and petro outfits? And maybe it's the London listings because it's FTSE?

My HSA just gets put into the account for me to do whatever I want with, minus the baseline cash on hand requirement whatever that is like $2-3K.

The top ones are ones I've had forever and can't buy more of. The list of Vanguards is my current options.

ARTKXARTISAN INTERNATIONAL VALUE INVESTOR
HEMZXVIRTUS VONTOBEL EMERGING MARKETS OPPS A
JGMRXJANUS HENDERSON TRITON R
LCEIXINVESCO DIVERSIFIED DIVIDEND INVESTOR
MINGXMFS INTERNATIONAL INTRINSIC VALUE R3
NICSXNICHOLAS
PEMGXPRINCIPAL MIDCAP A
WCEYXDELAWARE IVY CORE EQUITY FUND CLASS Y
SMGIXCOLUMBIA CONTRARIAN CORE FD CL INST
VBIRXVANGUARD SHORT-TERM BOND INDEX ADM
VBMPXVANGUARD TOTAL BOND MARKET IDX INSTLPLS
VEMIXVANGUARD EMERGING MKTS STOCK IDX INSTL
VEMPXVANGUARD EXTENDED MARKET INDEX INSTLPLUS
VFFVXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2055 FUND
VFIFXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2050 FUND
VFORXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2040 FUND
VFTAXVANGUARD FTSE SOCIAL INDEX ADMIRAL
VGSNXVANGUARD REAL ESTATE INDEX INSTITUTIONAL
VIGIXVANGUARD GROWTH INDEX INSTITUTIONAL
VIIIXVANGUARD INST INDEX INSTL PLUS
VIPIXVANGUARD INFLATION-PROTECTED SECS I
VLXVXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2065 FUND
VMIAXVANGUARD MATERIALS INDEX ADMIRAL
VMVAXVANGUARD MID-CAP VALUE INDEX ADMIRAL
VSIAXVANGUARD SMALL CAP VALUE INDEX ADMIRAL
VSMAXVANGUARD SMALL CAP INDEX ADM
VTABXVANGUARD TOTAL INTL BD IDX ADMIRAL
VTAPXVANGUARD SHRT-TERM INFL-PROT SEC IDX ADM
VTHRXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2030 FUND
VTINXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT INCOME FUND
VTIVXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2045 FUND
VTPSXVANGUARD TOTAL INTL STOCK IDX INSTLPLS
VTTHXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2035 FUND
VTTSXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2060 FUND
VTTVXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2025 FUND
VTWNXVANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2020 FUND
VVIAXVANGUARD VALUE INDEX ADM
VWIAXVANGUARD WELLESLEY INCOME ADMIRAL
Most of the 2-3 dozen that employers offer are hot garbage but even then will likely perform better over time than most alternatives. Same goes for target date. I stick to SP index, a small cap tech and maybe one other and try to make sure there is not overlap.

When I think Index fund, I default to the main indexes and that is the context where most people speak of them. Not whatever nonsense that Mrs Moogsies blue haired fund manager is pushing her into.

Reactions: sussle

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
There's nothing weird about it.

It was the TIAA-CREF Social Choice Low Carbon Equity Fund.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009

When I think Index fund, I default to the main indexes and that is the context where most people speak of them. Not whatever nonsense that Mrs Moogsies blue haired fund manager is pushing her into.
Yup, my m.o. in this environment is to go as broad and wide and solid as possible. i did well with all the Vanguard/Blackrock stuff that my employer offered over the last 15 years, but i also did well with Schwab's SWLSX, SWLGX, & SWTSX on the side and have continued to DCA into each one of those, twice each month for the past two years, in spite of getting pounded on some individual tech stocks over the same time period. if those funds don't turn the corner on the current downturn, nothing else will either. i can wait :cheers:

Reactions: grapedrink

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
Over the past year that index has underperformed the S&P 500 overall by a couple of percentage points. Not a lot to be sure but over time it adds up.
It predictably does since it avoids fossil fuel stocks, heavy weapons manufactuers, tobacco, gun companies, etc. Which all tend to do well during times like this.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
It predictably does since it avoids fossil fuel stocks, heavy weapons manufactuers, tobacco, gun companies, etc. Which all tend to do well during times like this.
All the fun ones sure. Noooooo, of COURSE I can’t own shares in a machine gun company. First they come for your guns, then the Karen managing your retirement portfolio sells your machine gun stonk and invests the proceeds in Xylem

i weep for the gun toting, sin-stonk investing ways that once made this nation THE beacon of hope in an otherwise dark and depressing world full of tribesmen shooting each other with Atlatls and blow darts

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Article today stating people are bailing out of ESG funds.
With all the large caliber ammo the US is giving away, there's gonna be some big orders to refill our stockpile.

1. 6.2 Company Profiles

6.2.1 General Dynamics Corporation
    1. 6.2.2 BAE Systems PLC
    2. 6.2.3 Rheinmetall AG
    3. 6.2.4 Nexter group KNDS
    4. 6.2.5 Northrop Grumman
    5. 6.2.6 ST Engineering
    6. 6.2.7 Saab AB
    7. 6.2.8 Ukroboronprom
    8. 6.2.9 Denel SOC Ltd
    9. 6.2.10 Nammo AS
    10. 6.2.11 Global Ordnance
    11. 6.2.12 Diehl Stiftung & Co. KG
    12. 6.2.13 Leonardo SpA
    13. 6.2.14 Raytheon Technologies Corporation

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
my take on moral investing in a world full of violence, scams, trillion dollar companies paying little taxes, and the average house containing dozens if not hundreds of products made in China - max your returns to max your retirement comfort and provide help to your kids. No one else is going to do it.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
He's been "dovish" the whole time IMHO. Remains to be seen if the decline continues. Sounded to me like it had a ton to do with gas and little to do with other influences and gas is volatile.
Uncle Jerome sounded pretty dovish... not admittedly dovish but you could see it.
This should have come as no surprise to anyone reading crazy Casa's posts over the past year or so.

Powell will choose inflation over political controversy and let Congress handle the price controls.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
This should have come as no surprise to anyone reading crazy Casa's posts over the past year or so.

Powell will choose inflation over political controversy and let Congress handle the price controls.
This came as no surprise to anyone following markets, never mind any convenient alignment with midwitted conspiracies.

Inflation trending down, FED continuing to raise rates, but slowing rate of increase. Simple.