How’s the stock market?

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
They love having their talking heads recommending strong buys while the institutional side is having a fire sale and the public gets left holding the bag.
As someone who used to be in that business, that is illegal. The SEC can put your ass in jail for the above.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Well it looks increasingly like he'll be running against Crazy Bernie, and if you think you can't insult your way to the presidency, I want your guac recipe and I'll clap for you.
That will be good TV watching trump and B debate.

"You're a liar and cheat!"

"Ok, Crazy bernie."

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Without a doubt both sides are going to spin this recent decline to their own ends.

Even if the market turns around tomorrow, I can't see how the first quarter is going to look all that good when it comes time to report....declines in equities, commodities and (despite the usual 'run for the hills' clarion call that is) gold presages a poor coming 1st quarter report.

Or not. Me saying there is a good chance of a bad 1st quarter should be proof that now is the time to buy, buy, buy!

View attachment 86927
Goldman Sachs today estimating zero earnings growth in the US economy over 2020.
https://techcrunch.com/2020/02/27/u-s-stock-markets-drop-again-as-goldman-sachs-projects-zero-growth-from-coronavirus/

Cheeto's favorite claim of success could languish when he needs it the most

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
That will be good TV watching trump and B debate.

"You're a liar and cheat!"

"Ok, Crazy bernie."
I have faith that someone in the Democratic Party will come to the same conclusion I did, schedule event after event in Florida this summer, and we'll have the VP pick eulogizing Bernie like Rudy dropping a subject, a verb, and 9/11

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Ok, since growth is flat to negative, buy dividend producing equities from the proceeds of the sale of your small caps (which tend to be growth stock, right?)
or stay away from retail sector stocks with more exposure to consumer spending. health care sector obviously should be attractive?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Ok, since growth is flat to negative, buy dividend producing equities from the proceeds of the sale of your small caps (which tend to be growth stock, right?)
I love dividends.

It's like free money, which means it's ok to spend on stuff like hookers and blow.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
If you think it will be mild, yes. I did this to a small extent in 08 and when they cut the dividend I took it up the ass balls deep.

Earnings only went up like 2.X% last year. The rest is just chasing that gravy train.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
It is absolutely true, I know that from a market maker.
Of course people break the law. Greed. Laws don't eliminate crime. Never have and never will. The SEC unwinds about 4 billion per year and prosecutes around a thousand or so people. I used to have those fucks crawling all over my office. My personal trades would have them frothing at the mouth. I never did anything wrong and they still scared me.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Of course people break the law. Greed. Laws don't eliminate crime. Never have and never will. The SEC unwinds about 4 billion per year and prosecutes around a thousand or so people. I used to have those fucks crawling all over my office. My personal trades would have them frothing at the mouth. I never did anything wrong and they still scared me.
When Chuck Norris sends in his taxes, he sends blank forms and includes only a picture of himself, crouched and ready to attack. Chuck Norris has not had to pay taxes, ever.

When Chuck Norris calls 1-900 numbers, he doesn't get charged. He holds up the phone and money falls out.

There are no races, only countries of people Chuck Norris has beaten to different shades of black and blue.

The only sure things are Death and Taxes and when Chuck Norris goes to work for the IRS, they'll be the same thing.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
As someone who used to be in that business, that is illegal. The SEC can put your ass in jail for the above.
or is he referring to a firm that could have one department/analysts recommending one thing and then another department/analyst doing the opposite? whether the combined plan is directed from senior management or executives to do so, doubtful as like said that's illegal. just two different groups within the same global conglomerate doing the opposite of each other not exactly knowing. great design for the corporation so they're playing both sides of the coin.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
or is he referring to a firm that could have one department/analysts recommending one thing and then another department/analyst doing the opposite? whether the combined plan is directed from senior management or executives to do so, doubtful as like said that's illegal. just two different groups within the same global conglomerate doing the opposite of each other not exactly knowing. great design for the corporation so they're playing both sides of the coin.
That's what I was talking about. Illegal. The joke used to be they would put a buy out to the retail guys to support the price as the institutional guys sold the position. You can go to jail for that. But like I said, laws are broken all the time and law enforcement at every level is spotty. Maybe you get away with it. Maybe not.

I will say that SEC enforcement is pretty spotty. You can look at price/volume charts before takeover announcements and see giant increases in volume as people buy in ahead of the news. It's obvious insider trading. And yet, a lot of them must get away with it. But every now and then they take someone out and shoot them as an example. You don't want to be that guy.

Last edited:

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I think I'll wait to contribute to my IRA this year.... Shitshow on wall st.