How’s the stock market?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Still holding? BABA at end of Sept was around $148.

YELL looks to be on its way back to your original buy in price. Would you buy more at sub $6 prices?
Might buy YELL options tomorrow at open. For 2023.
Why not double your pleasure and just be patient for when it plummets?

CPI for March is forthcoming. And then April. No good data from here on out.

“Sell in May and go away…”

Reactions: INDTUBE

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
What do you plan on shorting?
Nothing really.

Currently all the stocks I hold I anticipate holding over the long term. Most of these are royalty sharing fossil fuel enterprises and PMs.

A few days ago I sold all holdings in my employer-sponsored Fidelity retirement plans into my Brokerage link account where they now sit in cash. Will start cautiously restructuring/hedging. I'm in no hurry to do so and have no FOMO about anything at this point. Just going to accept my 4% loss from the past months and will bite the bullet with inflation for the moment.

Didn't seem Fidelity was pleased with what I did but TBH I wasn't that pleased with how the 26 options allowed by employer under Fidelity NetBenefits were weighted (very heavy tech and consumer discretionary)...and of those options I found satisfactory the fees were quite high.

Seeing AMC as a top holding in your retirement portfolio doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Nothing really.

Currently all the stocks I hold I anticipate holding over the long term. Most of these are royalty sharing fossil fuel enterprises and PMs.

A few days ago I sold all holdings in my employer-sponsored Fidelity retirement plans into my Brokerage link account where they now sit in cash. Will start cautiously restructuring/hedging. I'm in no hurry to do so and have no FOMO about anything at this point. Just going to accept my 4% loss from the past months and will bite the bullet with inflation for the moment.

Didn't seem Fidelity was pleased with what I did but TBH I wasn't that pleased with how the 26 options allowed by employer under Fidelity NetBenefits were weighted (very heavy tech and consumer discretionary)...and of those options I found satisfactory the fees were quite high.

Seeing AMC as a top holding in your retirement portfolio doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
I would put at least put 1/4 of that back into an SP index fund. Most people fail at timing the market. Or if you don't see the correction you are expecting in the next few months I would aggressively reinvest it.

If the funds they offer are duds, I would focus the bulk on the SP500 and maybe another 40-50% split between small and mid cap funds.

Reactions: kawika and bird.LA

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Nothing really.

I had that experience last June. Cashed out my 401k, moved it to Schwab. Put half of it into no-load index funds, set up Auto investing to continue DCA'ing into those funds twice a month, have been buying equities here and there with the rest. Am tech-heavy, so I was on a roll up until about November. Then the NASDAQ tanked and I was down about 20% at EOY. My equity positions are in generally pretty solid stuff - TEAM, CFLT, MELI, SHOP, SNOW, PUBM, LOB, NVDA etc etc - and having been recovering to where I'm now down about 11%. I won't need the money for a few years and I expect to see a growth spurt later in the year, going into 2023 perk things up considerably. Best thing I did all year was CVX and wish I had more in that sector, obviously.

lol @ the AMC comment :roflmao:

Reactions: grapedrink

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Not interested in timing the market, just putting things on hold for now.

The fake inflation numbers are going to be creeping towards 10% very shortly.

Next rate hike, if it happens, will be measly as the previous.

We're a long way away from even a number like 2%.

But let's say we do get to 2% (we won't) and that inflation remains around 7% (it's actually higher but whatevs)

That would mean we're tacking 7% inflation with 2% rates. :)

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

How in the f--k did Fidelity relay their unhap-penis (inseminating person parts) to you?

I mean my HSA options sucked for a very long time and still aren't great, but it ain't a subset of Fidelity's choices with them giving you social credit tendies based on your allocation.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
How in the f--k did Fidelity relay their unhap-penis (inseminating person parts) to you?

I mean my HSA options sucked for a very long time and still aren't great, but it ain't a subset of Fidelity's choices with them giving you social credit tendies based on your allocation.
Afterwards started getting messages about how I can have confidence in them and that they are proz.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Afterwards started getting messages about how I can have confidence in them and that they are proz.
This is curious - when you say messages, you mean like alerts that you had new messages on your investing console?

Did the messages feel organic, like you were flagged by the algo and referred to customer slurpage, or was it completely canned sh!t sent right after you sold a bunch or right after their scheduled thingydo that polls to see who sold a bunch and gets the we r proz autospam?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Not interested in timing the market, just putting things on hold for now.

The fake inflation numbers are going to be creeping towards 10% very shortly.

Next rate hike, if it happens, will be measly as the previous.

We're a long way away from even a number like 2%.

But let's say we do get to 2% (we won't) and that inflation remains around 7% (it's actually higher but whatevs)

That would mean we're tacking 7% inflation with 2% rates. :)
Let's check in on my index funds:
1649196332981.png

Nope - not keeping up with inflation.

If only I'd bought this at the dip:
1649196502421.png

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
This is curious - when you say messages, you mean like alerts that you had new messages on your investing console?

Did the messages feel organic, like you were flagged by the algo and referred to customer slurpage, or was it completely canned sh!t sent right after you sold a bunch or right after their scheduled thingydo that polls to see who sold a bunch and gets the we r proz autospam?
It was probably algorithmic, was quite long, and I made the sale in the middle of a surf session so I barely paid attention to what the message said, just scanned it for the gist then got back in the water.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
It was probably algorithmic, was quite long, and I made the sale in the middle of a surf session so I barely paid attention to what the message said, just scanned it for the gist then got back in the water.
Was the surf session at Lowers?
Was there some example of be-e-biked homeschoolery that broke the camel's back?

I had to be algorithmic, no? If you paddled in, peddled all, paddled out, that sh!t had to be Miss New Booty levels of instantaneous. I feel like you are leaving out some key details. Do you have an alibi that you were not doing BJJ in the parking lot with another erBBer last Thursday? Perhaps you were enjoying some fine cuisine from Carl's Jr. betwixt shreds?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
.50 "if inflation stays high"

LOL

They're not serious about tackling inflation.

It's funny how they run these articles about how the fed won't "derail the economy" then there are links below the article about how the economy is being completely derailed and one of the sources of derailment is the Fed.
1649285951986.png

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Someone on Twitter said that the Fed has more on it's balance sheet than every 401K combined. I don't know what that means, but sounds crazy.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The whistling through the graveyard is loud enough to wake the dead.
Stay tuned. We're sanctioning the planet:

This reminds me of when I was a midshipman sitting through a talk given by a SEAL commodore who eventually made VADM. He went down a list of "threats" to national security that included the entire population of the planet. Being good at math, I realized that there were about 20x as many people in the "threat" category as there were of us, so how were we realistically going to counter all of these "threats?" Frederick the Great famously said, "He who defends everything defends nothing." I did not detect any skepticism in my fellow midshipmen, indicating this is the way things have to be because "we've" all agreed to them.

• Love
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

skullver

Gerry Lopez status
Jul 28, 2010
the tube
Unfortunately my 401k requires that I allocate minimum 5% into their Principal funds, that 5% is -6% on the year. The other 95% is in my self directed brokerage through Schwab. I like the idea of being able to react instantly, wheareas the transfer from the individual funds takes 2-3 days, which in a true crash would be an eternity. Meh, for the most part I'm sitting on cash in my brokerage, but lately I've been sizing about 1-2% max and blasting meme stocks based on volume and TA, so far the SD portion of my account is up 35% on the year. So I've been outperforming the indexes and inflation so far. I've also been slowly scaling into some long term tickers with the main percentage that I've been waiting on to start dipping into my ideal buy zones. No options allowed in the 401k but my personal brokerage has been an ATM machine, made about 20K today in 23 minutes on SPY options and about 10k onTwitter options in about 3 hours. It was a good day. Holding nothing over night but some strategic PUTS which I plan on closing tomorrow. I don't think it's time to smash the dips quite yet.

xxx

Nep status
Nov 18, 2006
Ant thoughts or insight to the GGPI/Polestar merger? Still heavy with fossil fuels, but beginning to branch out to the EV sector. I read an article about Polestar, manufacturing, etc. Seems to be an undervalued stonk.

skullver

Gerry Lopez status
Jul 28, 2010
the tube
Ant thoughts or insight to the GGPI/Polestar merger? Still heavy with fossil fuels, but beginning to branch out to the EV sector. I read an article about Polestar, manufacturing, etc. Seems to be an undervalued stonk.
I own some with a CB under 10 as well as warrants. The post merger valuation is 20B at 10/share, so it is undervalued if you compare to industry peers (lucid-36B, Rivian-35B), which also seem to very richly valued. It is hard to say what happens short term, proxy vote, share redemptions, final share count/valuation etc. But I think it is a good long term play as long as the merger goes through without a hitch.

Reactions: xxx