How’s the stock market?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I think right now a lot of people are in a "this is just like the 1970s, we've seen this before" mode.

Could anything be further from the truth?

We've gone from creditor to massive borrower...now raising interest rates to cool inflation while at the same time printing more money... riding along on years of debt monetization...

Was there ever a time where we raised interest rates while dipping our toes into what could become the biggest international conflict since WW2?

It's rather WTF when you break it down.

Reactions: Rlacey111 and Havoc

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
First you would have to have a bank that could pay that much interest.

I don't believe there is any such bank.
Isn’t there? Given what they charge for credit card interest, fees, and other nonsense they probably **could**. However they don’t because they don’t have to.

In general the savings rate trails about a few points behind the 30 year mortgage rate, which is why they could offer a better rate if we go back to the days of 6-8%+ apr.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
the effect of covid on single family homes with a decent yard is still apparent.

i have a hard time believing the shock of lockdown effects will be forgotten in the next decade. Millennials still pissed and recovering from ‘08.

my dad liked to point out grand pa never got over the depression. Regularly pointed out things that could be sold for good cash if in a pinch.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
the effect of covid on single family homes with a decent yard is still apparent.

i have a hard time believing the shock of lockdown effects will be forgotten in the next decade. Millennials still pissed and recovering from ‘08.

my dad liked to point out grand pa never got over the depression. Regularly pointed out things that could be sold for good cash if in a pinch.
prolly in the minority here, but the last two years were the best of my adult life. you're right, i won't forget that :cheers:

hey, here's a stock that won't thrill the high rollers here but may be of interest to the long-term hodler's :
PSEC, 18 y/o private equity firm, about $8.30 a share, currently pays a healthy dividend of .06 per share per month ....the cool part is that if you are in their DRIP, you get a 5% discount on the reinvestment shares :shaka:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
First you would have to have a bank that could pay that much interest.

I don't believe there is any such bank.

Well, sure, first there has to be a bank offering that.

But before the banks raised their rates for the common human, they were offering much less, kinda like how it is now. Was curious if things could return to the way it was.

1648148349045.png

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Ah, great minds.....think along the same lines?

From first page of this thread:

Here is a good stock tip:

How are the (air) pollution levels in China?

If it is good, then sell.

If it is bad, then the coal is burning again. This should mean the power plants are back online. Which means the factories are working again, which means the world economy can start getting back to "normal".

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
i just bought a few BABA this morning. i agree, there is a lot of long term upside potential there
Still holding? BABA at end of Sept was around $148.

did anyone take my advice on Yellow a few months ago? all I remember is being mocked by @Northern_Shores for my random stock tip

it's doubled since i bought it at $5.50. I'm still going to HODL for the target price of 20, maybe even $25, that I got from the very well informed non-insider who first made the recco a couple of months ago
YELL looks to be on its way back to your original buy in price. Would you buy more at sub $6 prices?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yes if I didn’t have more pressing bills to pay I would absolutely double down right now. It’s just gas prices artificially dragging it down..