How’s the stock market?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
oh sh!t, havent been paying attention at all the last couple weeks. might have to scoop up some more netflix monday.
i thought about it - Netflix at a 20% discount sounds good at first glance - but their forward guidance is pretty dismal.

Moreover, the streaming giant’s outlook for future net additions raised further concerns around how it will fare in an increasingly saturated market. The company forecasted a net add of 2.5 million subscribers in Q1 2022, compared to 3.98 million during the first quarter last year.
in my uneducated opinion, i think it's gonna stay down for quite a while, especially in light of market conditions in general. it's like there's just no good news out there atm. we'll see what we see. :shrug:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I wonder If people are already getting annoyed with all the + streaming services, where, you have to pay for the bare bones, and upgrade if you want the real quality content. If Netflix keeps cranking out good to great original content, and makes a bigger push to carry more movies and more free. classic Shows without ads, then Netflix could become a real one stop shop for all your viewing needs without having to subscribe to 17 streaming services.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I wonder If people are already getting annoyed with all the + streaming services, where, you have to pay for the bare bones, and upgrade if you want the real quality content. If Netflix keeps cranking out good to great original content, and makes a bigger push to carry more movies and more free. classic Shows without ads, then Netflix could become a real one stop shop for all your viewing needs without having to subscribe to 17 streaming services.
Streaming services can feel like cable sometimes, with 700 channels but nothing on, even though the value and content is far better. The hard part is wading through the garbage to find something good when there isn't a specific series that you like. Paradox of choice is a bitch.

IMO none have done a good job at suggesting what I might like based on viewing history and ratings I've given.

Your Moms Dildo

Michael Peterson status
Jan 17, 2014
Next to the Lube
Streaming services can feel like cable sometimes, with 700 channels but nothing on, even though the value and content is far better. The hard part is wading through the garbage to find something good when there isn't a specific series that you like. Paradox of choice is a bitch.

IMO none have done a good job at suggesting what I might like based on viewing history and ratings I've given.
It all went to hell, when they got rid of the star rating system, IMHO.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
i thought about it - Netflix at a 20% discount sounds good at first glance - but their forward guidance is pretty dismal.

in my uneducated opinion, i think it's gonna stay down for quite a while, especially in light of market conditions in general. it's like there's just no good news out there atm. we'll see what we see. :shrug:
for sure but its Netflix. itll come back around. imo a pretty safe bet.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California

i miss the channel surfing. its impossible to find something on the streamers if you dont know what youre looking for going in. Ozarks is back tho!

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
logout, delete apps, go outside.
yup, that's the prescription for a bad day on the stock market. i logged on at 9:35 to look at my stuff - it was like looking at a slow motion train wreck - logged out 5 minutes later and spent the day turning my vegetable gardens. pleased to see it recovered to some extent. :cheers:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I haven't traded much crypto but I do trade stocks. Fundamentally I think COIN is starting to look pretty interesting as a stock. I would think the recent volatility in crypto will be adding to their earnings. They have good revenue growth, great earnings growth and amazing profit margins. If I was trading on COIN their margins would maybe upset me. This company is making a ton of earnings off their trading. The stock has been following the price of crypto very closely. If they keep making money hand over fist I am thinking this could decouple and be a winner. Thoughts from the crypto experts here?
Coinbase Investor Info

COIN is pretty well tied directly to how Bitcoin does and crypto markets do. Trading goes down when market drops because people get stuck with heavy bags and end up with no money to buy the dips. Also, a lot of people lose money through bad trades. And trading with less funds means lower fees, which means less revenue. The goal for Coinbase is to find other revenue streams, which is something they are working on.

Coinbase Ventures

and

Coinbase NFT Marketplace

and

Coinbase Commerce

onetravels

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 20, 2003
encinitas
Coinbase Investor Info

COIN is tied almost directly to how well Bitcoin does and crypto markets do. Trading goes down when market drops because people get stuck with heavy bags and end up with no money to buy the dips. Also, a lot of people lose money through bad trades. And trading with less funds means lower fees, which means less revenue. The goal for Coinbase is to find other revenue streams, which is something they are working on.

Coinbase Ventures

and

Coinbase NFT Marketplace

and

Coinbase Commerce
Thank you, I was contemplating on which post I should put this on. You have algorithmic trading going on with all the exchanges. I think there could be more revenue and earnings for coinbase even in a pull back. I do not follow volume for crypto. Generally with exchanges that are publicly listed when volume in trading increases so does profit. I would assume even with this pullback volume of trading has increased. I would think this would lead to an increase in earnings and at some point this could decouple from the price of crypto. This is a public company trading crypto. I am not sure it makes sense that it follows the price of crypto so closely. I think fundamentally it is starting to look interesting.

Last edited: