How’s the stock market?

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Pumped I grabbed even just a little DIS when it took a giant dump a couple of months ago.

Reactions: sussle

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
first time in 38 weeks, more new highs than new lows in the NYSE/NASDAQ. have we turned the corner?

Nope, data just getting worse:

General conditions index drops 42 points to negative 31.3 — the second largest decline on record

Last edited:

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Translation:

didn't we do this a few weeks ago? sure we did and it went like this : I know you want things to suck because it fits your world view. But they don't. What can I tell you? In spite of pandemic, inflation, recession, war, drought, plague, famine etc - did i leave anything out there? - life is good for my family, for all the families around me, for pretty much everyone I know. I'll bet it's pretty good for you and most of the people you know too. and now the buyers appear to be regaining control of the stock market for the moment - try to enjoy it :waving:

Reactions: grapedrink

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
didn't we do this a few weeks ago? sure we did and it went like this : I know you want things to suck because it fits your world view. But they don't. What can I tell you? In spite of pandemic, inflation, recession, war, drought, plague, famine etc - did i leave anything out there? - life is good for my family, for all the families around me, for pretty much everyone I know. I'll bet it's pretty good for you and most of the people you know too. and now the buyers appear to be regaining control of the stock market for the moment - try to enjoy it :waving:
Casa is the NY Post of the erBB.

lruc

OTF status
Nov 10, 2016
The Advance Decline on the SPX hit a new all time high Friday . New highs for the Spx A~ D line provided a leading indicator for new highs on the Spx, in 2020,2019,2018,2013,2012 and 2010 .

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Casa is the NY Post of the erBB.
Instead of ad hominem try commenting on the data.

The New York Fed’s Empire State business conditions index, a gauge of manufacturing activity in the state, plummeted 42.4 points to negative 31.3 in August, the regional Fed bank said Monday.

This is the second largest monthly decline on record and among the lowest levels in the survey’s history, the regional Fed bank said.

Economists had expected a reading of 5.0, according to a survey by The Wall Street Journal.

Any reading below zero indicates deteriorating conditions.

Key details: The index for new orders dropped 35.8 points to negative 29.6 in August.

The shipments index fell 49.4 points to negative 24.1.

Unfilled orders fell for the third straight month.

Labor market conditions weakened. The prices-paid index fell 9 points to 55.5, its lowest level in over a year.

In addition, manufacturers were not optimistic about the six-month outlook.

Big picture: Economists were expecting a small retreat in the factory index, not a rout. The U.S. manufacturing sector, which was a strength during the recovery from the pandemic, is facing a steep drop-off in new business.

The New York data, and a similar reading from the Philadelphia Fed, are seen as early indicators for the health of the factory sector in August.

The closely-watched Institute for Supply Management’s barometer of American factories fell to a two-year low of 52.8% in July.

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
Instead of ad hominem try commenting on the data.

The New York Fed’s Empire State business conditions index, a gauge of manufacturing activity in the state, plummeted 42.4 points to negative 31.3 in August, the regional Fed bank said Monday.

This is the second largest monthly decline on record and among the lowest levels in the survey’s history, the regional Fed bank said.

Economists had expected a reading of 5.0, according to a survey by The Wall Street Journal.

Any reading below zero indicates deteriorating conditions.

Key details: The index for new orders dropped 35.8 points to negative 29.6 in August.

The shipments index fell 49.4 points to negative 24.1.

Unfilled orders fell for the third straight month.

Labor market conditions weakened. The prices-paid index fell 9 points to 55.5, its lowest level in over a year.

In addition, manufacturers were not optimistic about the six-month outlook.

Big picture: Economists were expecting a small retreat in the factory index, not a rout. The U.S. manufacturing sector, which was a strength during the recovery from the pandemic, is facing a steep drop-off in new business.

The New York data, and a similar reading from the Philadelphia Fed, are seen as early indicators for the health of the factory sector in August.

The closely-watched Institute for Supply Management’s barometer of American factories fell to a two-year low of 52.8% in July.
so are you struggling personally?

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
First, what's your comment on the Fed data I posted?

Then I can answer your question.
Well, I would caution you to not take too much away from this report as it likely paints an excessively downbeat picture of manufacturing. I look for a soft economic rebound in the second half of 2022 to keep manufacturing growing in a low gear.

And you don't have to bother with my question, it was rhetorical. I really don't care :waving:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
The Advance Decline on the SPX hit a new all time high Friday . New highs for the Spx A~ D line provided a leading indicator for new highs on the Spx, in 2020,2019,2018,2013,2012 and 2010 .

erBB as contrary indicator in full blush!

(I tease, I tease...by the way haven't sold into this rally, got years to go before I need the funds)

Reactions: sussle