HOP WTR

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Dad was a functioning alcoholic for probably 40+ years, ignored family because of it, slowed down as he got older, and is now 84 and healthy as can be. Canadian genetics?
I think it's diet and genetics.

I remember when I was first starting out I'd get these 85 year old patients in decent health who had come in for hip surgery and post op they're suddenly detoxing. Not pretty.

Some alcoholics go on a liquid diet where they don't eat much, they just drink. Their nutrition and thus their health seems to suffer more.

And aside from all that alcohol is funny. Some people in their 20s and 30s develop full blown liver disease and need a transplant, others can keep on chugging. Either way it generally comes as an unexpected surprise to them when things suddenly go south.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Alcohol is the worst of the worst. Fat around the mid section (liver) it lowers your testosterone and your body turns it all into sugar which spikes insulin and triggers you to eat shitty foods.

Also tons of calories with zero nutritional value.

Beer runs around 200-400 calories per 12oz.
Closer to 150 the rest is true besides the sugar part. Enjoy your bitch t!ts and estrogen soup, bet it taste good doesn’t it. Bad for your organs and body composition, occasionally ok to indulge but not an everyday habit.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
use to be able to enjoy a beer but been on it too much so been trying to scale back - not much luck - too many good times here so seem to be partying a lot - social drinker

but wrecked my motorbike (idiot- could have been bad) last week after a few too many beers and that kicked my no beer policy into full gear

always drank nightly beers - eventual goal
now is 2 ntes a week and just a few - been having sunset beers for decades so get the itch around 5 30

soda water over ice w lime has been helping
2 wrecks in one year? Get a car you don’t need to be on the bike over there, we want to see you on the other side of 50.

Reactions: Truth

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Closer to 150 the rest is true besides the sugar part. Enjoy your bitch t!ts and estrogen soup, bet it taste good doesn’t it. Bad for your organs and body composition, occasionally ok to indulge but not an everyday habit.
100-370 here...

But sure if you’re talking **** water beer like Bud or Natty lite....

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I have a friend who is a construction foreman. Late 50's. I've known him for 30 years. He drinks a half case a night. Full case on the weekends. Lean as hell. Ripped really. He jumps into ditches with the kids and works a shovel just to drive them harder. Irish guy. I've always figured it was genetics plus the hard work.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I have a friend who is a construction foreman. Late 50's. I've known him for 30 years. He drinks a half case a night. Full case on the weekends. Lean as hell. Ripped really. He jumps into ditches with the kids and works a shovel just to drive them harder. Irish guy. I've always figured it was genetics plus the hard work.
GWS is his name Pat by chance I might work with him?

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
some guys have all the luck. I had Scottish friends In high school. Twin brothers. Their parents drank hard. Everyday. They didn’t fall too far from the tree. Parents have good careers and were functioning pretty well. The twins really hit a wall in their late 20’s. It was a bummer seeing them like that.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
in my experience, there’s a funny defensiveness from persons who identify as someone who “drinks” when encountering someone who does not.

Reactions: racer1

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
in my experience, there’s a funny defensiveness from persons who identify as someone who “drinks” when encountering someone who does not.
Yea that happens too.

Some sober people just rub me the wrong way as they make their sobriety as part of their identity and have to bring it up and inject it into conversations.

“Just remodeled my house...ten months sober”

“My hobbies are surfing and exercising... I also gave up drinking”

Reactions: rts265

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I remember when I was first starting out I'd get these 85 year old patients in decent health who had come in for hip surgery and post op they're suddenly detoxing. Not pretty.
My dad went through this after his stroke. His rebound from the first one took 2 weeks longer and had him in the ICU because he was detoxing, even thou (according to him) he wasn't drinking more than a few beers per night. It took them a while to figure out what was going on and kept him from entering into a more intensive (read: superior) acute recovery program.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Yea that happens too.

Some sober people just rub me the wrong way as they make their sobriety as part of their identity and have to bring it up and inject it into conversations.

“Just remodeled my house...ten months sober”

“My hobbies are surfing and exercising... I also gave up drinking”
If you ever run into a sober vegan, kill them before the inevitable sermon.

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
If you ever run into a sober vegan, kill them before the inevitable sermon.
Good luck if they're into crossfit or BJJ. Those freaks are stronger than they look. Best to utilize a pit bull or claw footed bathtub.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Doof