HOP WTR

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
I always figured most sugary drink habits are formed from a young age. I had no soda or juices in the house and no drink orders when eating out, either. water water water.

that beer water looks gross AF.
Very true! My son never got to have soda and he still hates it!

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Stop drinking soda. Period. Don’t drink it. Ever. Don’t drink diet soda either.

Vitamin Water is un-carbonated soda. Stop drinking it.

Fruit juice? No. Not even a little.

Water and black coffee or un-sweetened tea.

You’ll be leaner and feel better.
Cant say I disagree with you A-Dawg... at all... but we all have our vices. I feel good about at least cutting back on mine.

I don't drink the Vitamin Water every day, and most times I find myself having half of one with lunch and then mixing water with it and drinking it over the next day or so. Still, I think getting 20oz and 100 calories of real sugar is better than 12oz and 150 calories of corn syrup. If I drink Gatorade its always diluted with water.

Have been more into tea lately. Seems to settle the stomach well. Half the time its lightly sweetened and the other half I am into unsweetened. To your point, and its subtle, but you just feel better.

If I do fruit juice occasionally I always make sure its not from concentrate, but still, its akin to pouring sugar into your gullet with no fiber to meter its uptake. Eating a piece of fruit is much better.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Alcohol is the worst of the worst. Fat around the mid section (liver) it lowers your testosterone and your body turns it all into sugar which spikes insulin and triggers you to eat shitty foods.

Also tons of calories with zero nutritional value.

Beer runs around 200-400 calories per 12oz.
Alcohol sucks.

Probably the leading cause of weight gain for most people in their 20s-30s.

And likely the leading cause of the worst life-altering decisions people ever make in their lives.

Also, death from liver disease = the absolute worst way to go.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
use to be able to enjoy a beer but been on it too much so been trying to scale back - not much luck - too many good times here so seem to be partying a lot - social drinker

but wrecked my motorbike (idiot- could have been bad) last week after a few too many beers and that kicked my no beer policy into full gear

always drank nightly beers - eventual goal
now is 2 ntes a week and just a few - been having sunset beers for decades so get the itch around 5 30

soda water over ice w lime has been helping

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
use to be able to enjoy a beer but been on it too much so been trying to scale back - not much luck - too many good times here so seem to be partying a lot - social drinker

but wrecked my motorbike (idiot- could have been bad) last week after a few too many beers and that kicked my no beer policy into full gear

always drank nightly beers - eventual goal
now is 2 ntes a week and just a few - been having sunset beers for decades so get the itch around 5 30

soda water over ice w lime has been helping
I used to have my Guinness foreign extra stout or an Elephant every day after work. Those are 8.5% ABV so one beer and you feel it. It was a combination of taste and slight buzz that kept me coming back...every day. Plus its legal to drink and drive here so a nice coldy on the way home was a great way to end the day.

But a man has to be careful about how many habits he has. Between the cost of alcohol, the calories, the damage it does to your liver, etc I said enough is enough. My mom came down to visit me and my son for our birthdays and she was getting wasted with her new husband the entire time. Between seeing this abhorrent behavior in my mom and growing up with an alcoholic father, I decided to be done with it.

I partied hard in my 20's. Scaled way back in my 30's. Got to the point where I hardly ever got drunk. But that daily beer and the difficulty I had saying no was the last straw.

I feel great and having that discipline is a great feeling. I don't miss it anymore. I had a sip of beer the other day and it tasted like chit. Tried some 20 year single barrel Cruzan rum, which is normally very pleasant...yuck.

Now I hear people relive their wasted tales and I just roll my eyes.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
never a moron or a loudmouth- controlled drunk w lots of irish good byes - (rationalizing my habit) but i am all my kid has , so wrecking a bike and dying would be a bummer.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Cutting booze was the best thing I did in my late-20’s after spending numerous mornings in my early 20’s piecing back together what I had done the night before.

once you clear the hurdle, watching the uncontrolled behavior of those who can’t help but have one too many makes it easy to not go back.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Excess is the way to success,
If you want to ruin any single thing.

As humans we are programmed to always want more and more of a "good thing", even when it becomes bad.

Having been a heroin addict in my younger teens through to my twenties didn't help with the whole "habits" thing neither.

However, kicking it completely on my own without any help at all, and all the while masking and hiding all the pain, suffering, agony, gut wrenching and violent vomiting episodes from my family did somehow teach me that I can do anything I set my mind, body and soul towards wholeheartedly.

Now days, I drink only GOOD red or white wines with meals (1 glass maximum), a weekly 6 pack of little bottle beers for post surfing chow downs and about 3-4 bottles of Ron Miel de Indias (local honey rum, off the charts good, old pirates drink) per year.

The Rum is downed quickly once opened, as it has to be drank practically frozen, but not too cold so as to solidify the honey.

The wines I discovered these pumps that allow you to top a freshly opened bottle, drink it a glass per day, and the very last glass is as fresh as the first.

The beers are 1/5 th of a liter each at 4.5% alcohol.

It boils down to a litre bottle of pure alcohol a year. Never get drunk anymore, ever.

Well, except when there's something special to celebrate, like when the last phooking quarantine was lifted, then I go all out with a shot of rum, a beer and a Xanax.

Moderation is the key. For me not consuming alcohol but a few days per week does the trick.

I only consume anything fresh, water and
fruit and my fresh ganja, daily.

I puff before surfing, and at any other time of day, or night, my neck/spine/lumbar bones require the alleviation from the constant pain.

It never takes the pain away, but it does make me not give a damn enough so that I stop feeling sorry for myself and get moving and doing things, regardless of pain threshold.

Last edited:
Reactions: sizzld1 and Truth

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The denial can be crazy.

And then a lot of people don't even realize:

Drinking a six pack every night is not normal.

Nor is drinking a few tallboys.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I got no issues with sober people

No idea who sober people got issues with how others spend their time drinking

Every sober person I know immediately gets self righteous about their new found sobriety and then starts looking down at others.

There’s Millions of people who are just fine that just want to drink a beer.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
The denial can be crazy.

I think needing to drink alcohol daily, is the main problem.

If you give it a rest, and when you do consume, do not over do it... You're fine.

Then, metabolisms are like different universes too though.

Some people, just one drop of alcohol and the crazy train has left the station, destination unknown, and noone knows where it will derail.

YMMV.

Reactions: Truth

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
The denial can be crazy.

why is that not normal?
is masturbating 3 times a day normal?
excessive (insert any activity) normal?

we all cope in different ways
few drinks a day fine

Last edited:
Reactions: bluemarlin04

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
why is that not normal?
is masurbating 3 times a day normal?
excessive (insert any activity) ?

few drinks a day fine
3 x a day? Sure! If you have only one nut like Lance and extremely low testosterone counts!

Every god fearing erBB strength man worth his weight in dead lifts knows 6 x a day minimum, when you have routine sexual encounters.

24-36 times a day during dry spells.

Do not forget to rinse kit after yo!

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
My habit definitely increased during COVID... I used to only really drink when I went to the bar on weekends, now home is the only place to have a drink so a Saturday night doesn't feel much different from a Wednesday night after work...

I noticed it and cut back to weekends, I feel much better for it

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I was drinking a lot when I was working and living in the van. You're alone, go to dinner, order some drinks, crash out. It gets to be a habit so quick. I have nothing against social drinking at all, my wife likes her wine, but once it got to be a full on habit for me I had to give it a rest.

Reactions: hugh shackman

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I got no issues with sober people

No idea who sober people got issues with how others spend their time drinking

Every sober person I know immediately gets self righteous about their new found sobriety and then starts looking down at others.

There’s Millions of people who are just fine that just want to drink a beer.
I wouldn’t conflate sober folks with non-drinkers. The sober crowd can be like a “my chit don’t stank” religious cult.

I’d rather be locked in a room with a heavy stoner than a heavy drinker.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
why is that not normal?
Because it's an unhealthy amount of alcohol consumption and there's a good chance its an addiction.

is masturbating 3 times a day normal?
excessive (insert any activity) normal?
Kinda apples and oranges comparing "any activity" to alcoholism.

Alcoholism is a funny thing cause it's not a problem until suddenly it is.

That's why it's a good idea to ID it as alcoholism before things get out of hand.

Yes.

And the idea is not to create more problems or a bigger problem - that's why alcohol is a poor way to cope.

few drinks a day fine
A few is different than a six pack.