Hooded Rashguard vs "Surf" Hat

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
you will look like less of a dork with a cap rather than a floppy hat.

no matter what hats are a pain on ducknives.

rash guards make sure it’s not going to get sucked over your head if you bail, friend had a near drowning from that. Not really but it made a standard wipe out shittier.

the Oneiil hooded rash guard with a built in cap is good.
Agreed. I tried the cap, and it worked ok until duckdiving and wiping out and getting the bill yanking your head around. Never again for this old guy. I'll go hooded rashguard next time.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Btw, @oneula @racer1 and @PPK96754 you guys might remember Allen Pantaleon (Allen wrench). He used to make surf hats that were pretty functional. I still got one somewhere that he gave me.
I heard Alan broke his back and can't stand up surf anymore.
Used to see him boogie boarding at white plains all the time 1990s-2000s in his short john, gath helmet with the blacked out Liam M. darth vader lens. Usually only when it was big.

I have a bunch of surf hats.
One has a velco patch where you flip up the lid paddling out and put it down while sittiing (flipupbill)
Another has a plastic insert which doesn't flip around no matter what (shelta osprey)
My brother uses the white oneill top with hood or a dakine bucket
Bought couple of those hooded fishing shirts to wear while hanging at the beach when covid was in it's prime here
Even picked up a Sig Zane Hurley and Andy South dri-fit hooded pull over for the same beach protection wear from the westside non-vaxed unemployed covidiots mokes overrunning haubush
never surfed in them though
I know over a dozen guys, mostly haole friends that got skin cancer on the head/face/neck and had chunks cut out. They all use hats now.
At my age, I'm thinking a gath is more appropriate as lots of guys in their late 60's early 70's hit their head and drown.

Alan was a legend to us in the early 70's just like Bird was
I saw him one day early 70's as I was paddling out at Officers on a really big day doing this alan wrench in the tube and his foot wasn't even touching the top of the barrel.
The guy had skills
The closest I've seen since was Owl doing his hood ornament stance at pipe in the 70's
I think only Uncle Grant (surfed with him allot) and Alan have their signature moves in Buffalo's contest.

Last edited:

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
If it's a heckly spot, yes, but that's not the concern. From what Havoc said, SoCal is like Florida. You wear one of those things to any remotely competitive spot, and you're probably going to have a frustrating session crowd-wise. A wave comes to you, expect to be challenged for priority way more. You go, expect way more people to paddle the section down or burn you. On and on.
No wonder I couldn't catch waves at Pipeline with my paddling gloves.

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
I heard Alan broke his back and can't stand up surf anymore.
Used to see him boogie boarding at white plains all the time 1990s-2000s in his short john, gath helmet with the blacked out Liam M. darth vader lens. Usually only when it was big.
I hadn't heard he got injured. We met at the Shipyard and HSF surf contests. Supernice guy.

Alan was a legend to us in the early 70's just like Bird was
I saw him one day early 70's as I was paddling out at Officers on a really big day doing this alan wrench in the tube and his foot wasn't even touching the top of the barrel.
The guy had skills
The closest I've seen since was Owl doing his hood ornament stance at pipe in the 70's
I think only Uncle Grant (surfed with him allot) and Alan have their signature moves in Buffalo's contest.
My friend Reid Inouye said Bird could have been a contender but he got that bad leg injury at that reef.

Think the Allen Wrench is listed as an official maneuver on a poster at Buff's contest.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
This guys spends 4-6+ hours on the water Kiting, Winging, etc and is covered from Head to Toe no matter the Temp. Skin Cancer drove him to fully cover.

Boatmen in The Ments. think he crazy surfing in this get up with no food or liquids. And he dont give two F%cks
IMG_5968.jpg

Reactions: bluemarlin04

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
If it's a heckly spot, yes, but that's not the concern. From what Havoc said, SoCal is like Florida. You wear one of those things to any remotely competitive spot, and you're probably going to have a frustrating session crowd-wise. A wave comes to you, expect to be challenged for priority way more. You go, expect way more people to paddle the section down or burn you. On and on.
Wasn't that someone trying to drop in on Owl? Because of the hat! :)

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I wear a hood in the summer if I surf after DP. Trunking small LB waves maybe a hat or cover my head and face with Avisol. I don't have a hooded rashie but seems like a good option. I like full coverage/hate extreme sun exposure.

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
Do random people actually give you guys crap over what you're wearing?

No one cares in Hawaii. One of my friends surfs in jammers and nothing else. lol.
This.

Who the eff cares what someone else is wearing or not wearing. When I surf mid day, always wore a hat. Wore it at 2X plus overhead G Land and it stayed on too. No one ever says or said anything. Frick. And if they did, maybe they get stuffed on the next one. Haha. Better than having a lobster head and feeling like crap for the next few days. Looking at the Florence hooded shirt. Friend has one and loves it. Maybe no need cause now I usually wear a Gath. Now that has saved me a few times already and I recommend for anyone surfing reef breaks, low tides over river rocks, or with a bunch of kooks who are bailing boards.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I don't think people realize how bad the sun is for you when you are outdoors.

Put anything and leave it in the sun everyday and see what happens. It will destroy in. Now pretend that is your body.

I just bought the Florence Marine hooded rash.