Honeymoon Destination

jts80

Legend (inyourownmind)
May 17, 2007
NJ
Looking for some suggestions on places to go for a honeymoon in Mid December. Some details - right now the number 1 contender is Hawaii. We are planning on around 10 days wherever we go. Don't have a set budget but obviously cost will factor into the decision. We would be traveling from the East Coast. Surfing isn't the #1 priority but I would like to be able to get some water time each day. I'm an average surfer and I know if the swell is good in Hawaii I'm stuck on the beach. I would prefer to go somewhere that I'm not in over my head ability wise. The lady is cool with chilling on the beach, going on hikes, and also likes to relax by the pool etc. I guess the ideal location would incorporate the above, maximize travel time, and be budget friendly/reasonable.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
You're on the East Coast, why not the EC version of Hawaii?
Puerto Rico seems the logical choice.
If you do choose the Islands I'd pass on Oahu for obvious reasons, go to Kauai or Maui.

jts80

Legend (inyourownmind)
May 17, 2007
NJ
I probably should have mentioned that PR is out since we go there every winter for vacation.

DB1B

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 26, 2002
Jax Bch, FL,
Visit site
Did honeymoon on Kauai in 2006. Long flight from FL, but well worth it. Stayed in Waikiki first night for dinner at Duke's and to get "lei-ed."

Flew to Kauai next day and rented a Jeep. Split time between N and S shores. Started trip full bungalow-style in Hanalei within walking distance to the bay. Only brought one board (fish) which was fine since it was spring and the north shore was small but rideable. Great hiking, local food, and drinks on the deck at Princeville Inn.

Ended the trip in Poipu in a condo rental with pool etc. Walking distance to good south shore spots. Couple chest to head high super fun days and saw some killer waterfalls and Waimea canyon.

Hoping to get back for our 10 year.

jts80

Legend (inyourownmind)
May 17, 2007
NJ
Yeah Kauai is where we are looking now. In addition to PR - Fiji, Australia, and New Zealand are all out too for the same reason been there before.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
10 days...I'd just go luxury in Belize and keep the travel time down. do you like to fish?

If you're wife is down for adventure then hook something up
in Nica/Costa with surf access.

RayG

Nep status
Dec 3, 2002
Astoria, NY USA
Try a triangle type of trip... From east coast, head to SFO for a day or two, then off to HI for a week or so, then back home through LA or San Diego or something.

diro

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
PR - I'm sure there are some uber nice places which won't have crime.

Islamorada (The Keys in FL) - no surf but gorgeous that time of here. Moorings Village is hands down the best place. amazing places to eat within walking distance.

you'll have plenty of time for adventure trips. you'll want to relax a ton and just veg out after the stress of a wedding. my $00.02.

JohnDunne

OTF status
Jan 10, 2011
hey eastern,

have you been to Culebra or Vieques? You could surf on the "mainland" and then ferry over to C or V for some good honeymoon times. miles of beach and clear waters all to yourself.

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
1. North Kauai. Rent a house on VRBO in the area from Hanalei to the end of the road. http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/kauai/north

PPK will be your gracious host for as much, or as little, as you want.

2. Costa Rica. Chill at some resortish place on the Pacific side for 5 days and travel around inland for 4 more. It is really easy to get around there with private vans at reasonable prices.

jts80

Legend (inyourownmind)
May 17, 2007
NJ
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and information. Looks like Kauai and Costa/Nica are coming up a lot and can't go wrong with any of those spots. We haven't been to any of them before so they would all work. We talked last night and Indo might be added to the list. It's far but it might be the only time we could ever do it. If anyone has Indo intel let me know.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Assuming you want to MINIMIZE travel time and MAXIMIZE honeymoon time:

1. Hawaii EWR to HNL.
2. Caribbean
a. St Lucia out of PHL or EWR. Fickle but some aok spots. Hiking. Waterfalls, snorkeling/diving and relaxing. Ladera or cap maison
B. Barbados. Soup bowls. Always a wave in December.

All flights should be ~500 coach.

Central America will be slower wave wise that time of year but can find quick flights to costa through Atlanta and Texas

middleWave

OTF status
Sep 17, 2010
Taiwan
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and information. Looks like Kauai and Costa/Nica are coming up a lot and can't go wrong with any of those spots. We haven't been to any of them before so they would all work. We talked last night and Indo might be added to the list. It's far but it might be the only time we could ever do it. If anyone has Indo intel let me know.
i just finished two weeks in bali for the second time. world class tourism and sightseeing, but also world class crowds (except for sanur which i got pretty good with minimal crowds). i would consider phuket, which has decent beach break surf on it's day, and also a plethora of natural attractions in the region. if its really "the only time you could ever do" indo (which i do not believe), then you should go. best waves in the world...