Honeymoon advice: 5 nights with surf-tolerant future wife

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Ushuaia (last city on the South American Continent) for a day or two (best sea food on earth) then over to El Calefate for the Patagonia boat ride around the glaciers, icebergs and local food/sites (2 days). If your schedule permits, buzz up to Iguasu National Park and see the falls and maybe a panther or two in the jungle (great tourist hotel) 1 day. Back to Buenos Aires and spend maybe 3 days with the sights (PM me for details or google is your friend). Flight to BA is overnight from DFW or, MIA. Spent 19 years back and forth but my employer was paying the bills. Great places to visit! John

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
She's been with my surf-obsessed ass for 5ish years, so it was appreciated when she took my surfing into account when she researched potential locations.

Our location: North San Diego
Timing: early October

We went to Kauai a few years back, and she wants to go to Maui, and suggested we stay here: https://www.royallahaina.com/

Google Map Link to the resort

My question from those who live there or have spent significant time: Can I reliably drive 10-ish minutes and reliably get some shoulder-high waves without bothering any locals?
Our honeymoon was 6 nights Kauai and 4 Oahu. Pops is retired on Maui so been there many times. It doesnt have the special vibes that Kauai does, but any local should agree that it’s a good middle ground, not too country, not too city. Has something for everyone young or old.

Your Most reliable spot for surf is probably Ho’okipa east of the airport and about 32 miles / 50+ minutes from Lahaina.

you could go north to Honolua bay, if it’s breaking but the approach requires a time commitment unlike Ho’okipa which has a parking lot and a short paddle out.

SW spots aren’t the greatest but could be working from Kihei down to Big Beach but they aren’t that great of waves and could be flat in October, never know.

Would need some south swell to light up Lahaina, Olawalu, Grandmas, etc along the W/NW shores near where you are. Fun spots along there though.

Last edited:

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Osa peninsula in Costa Rica looks super awesome for honeymoon. Some ultra fancy hotels hidden in the jungle, great surf too. I haven't been there yet, but my friend stays there with his wife every summer.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Sounds like the foundation of a great partnership: “babe, i can’t wait to spend our
lives together; now please stand on the beach holding my back-up board and an extra leash, or, if you don’t want to do that, I can always meet you in
five hours. Thanks”