Honest Question?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
“When men choose not to believe in God, they do not thereafter believe in nothing, they then become capable of believing in anything.”

Look it up...
I like fake profound sayings that are highly inaccurate representations of reality.

Is the goal to bait with inaccuracy here?

Consider me baited! :dancing: :waving:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Morality is what we as a society say it is. There is really no objective morality.
That absolves anyone of any moral consequences. Slavery was OK in the south. Concentration camps were OK in Germany. Mass murder with machetes was OK in Rwanda. All of those things were perfectly fine in their respective societies, therefore in the absence of objective morality they were OK?

Reactions: sizzld1

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
Morality is what we as a society say it is. There is really no objective morality.
Morality, like time, is an a priori epistemological construct that's unique to humans. That's why there's certain universals across religions and moral codes (reciprocity, don't kill or inflict needless suffering, etc). Anything like a religion or universal morality that deals with transcendent issues is going to be a product of its times and veer into self-contradiction and hypocrisy. We're animals after all. Take what's best, leave the rest and try to nurture the whole morality thing is my big idea. We're humans after all.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Morality, like time, is an a priori epistemological construct that's unique to humans. That's why there's certain universals across religions and moral codes (reciprocity, don't kill or inflict needless suffering, etc). Anything like a religion or universal morality that deals with transcendent issues is going to be a product of its times and veer into self-contradiction and hypocrisy. We're animals after all. Take what's best, leave the rest and try to nurture the whole morality thing is my big idea. We're humans after all.

moby

Nep status
Nov 10, 2010
Does this mean I have to hire an Asian limo driver and fire my Jewish lawyer?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
There are universal taboos.

Incest so your kids aren't all messed up is a good one.
Not any more. We have birth control now. So what's the next best reason?

I am not advocating it, I think it's fucking sick. I am just saying that there are always people who can concoct good sounding justifications for anything, that in the absence of some objective morality, can be tough to argue against.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Nope.

But, I know what girds Western Civ and it ain't wingnut "progressive" nonsense that some well spoken people pulled straight out of their collective asses 18 seconds ago (see, "critical race theory").

I'm not all that God fearing but one of my new favorite quotes is:

“When men choose not to believe in God, they do not thereafter believe in nothing, they then become capable of believing in anything.”

Look it up...
there it is, guys!

he did it!

ohhhhhh yeah! I fkn love it when it does it

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Not any more. We have birth control now. So what's the next best reason?

I am not advocating it, I think it's fucking sick. I am just saying that there are always people who can concoct good sounding justifications for anything, that in the absence of some objective morality, can be tough to argue against.
I used to screw my friends' sisters.

My friends didn't really like it.

I thought it was funny.

Maybe that is why I don't have friends?

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
I used to screw my friends' sisters.

My friends didn't really like it.

I thought it was funny.

Maybe that is why I don't have friends?
it probably would have been o.k. if you had waited until they had turned fourteen, and you hadn’t drugged their coca-colas.

and you weren’t in your fifties....

:shameonyou:

• Haha
Reactions: afoaf

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
Is this a good starting point Charming?

1 - “I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)

2 - “This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)

3 - “Do not allow a sorceress to live.” (Exodus 22:18)

4 - “Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us – he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.” (Psalm 137:9)

5 - “So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go. At daybreak the woman went back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door and lay there until daylight. When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. He said to her, ‘Get up; let’s go.’ But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home.” (Judges 19:25-28)

6 - “In the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with passion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error.” (Romans 1:27)

7 - “And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord, and said, ‘If you will give the Ammonites into my hand, then whoever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return victorious from the Ammonites, shall be the Lord’s, to be offered up by me as a burnt-offering.’ Then Jephthah came to his home at Mizpah; and there was his daughter coming out to meet him with timbrels and with dancing. She was his only child; he had no son or daughter except her. When he saw her, he tore his clothes, and said, ‘Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low; you have become the cause of great trouble to me. For I have opened my mouth to the Lord, and I cannot take back my vow.’” (Judges 11:30-1, 34-5)

8 - ‘Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt-offering on one of the mountains that I shall show you.’ (Genesis 22:2)

9 - “Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:22)

10 - “Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

Or maybe you prefer more of a narrative approach?

When she carried on her prostitution openly and exposed her naked body, I turned away from her in disgust, just as I had turned away from her sister. Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled. (Ezekiel 23:18-21)
Humanity! What a concept: animals with conscience. We've had some spiritual formation going on. Still there are pockets of the little to none formed. Let's keep it going, okay?