Home security cameras - have they helped?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
We have one Arlo camera, it's saved us about $1500 over the past two years from illegal dumpers. Easy to show them proof when they claim "It's not our stuff."

Did not help when my wetsuit was stolen though.

Hit and run being a problem around here I will likely get something for my car if I ever get something of value.

Good/bad for you guys?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I have one waze cam - bought it for when I leave my cat unattended for a few days or if I'm having the neighbors check up on him..plus yea if theres ever a breakin. Cost 20 bucks via amazon - easy to use app and notifications. worth every penny so far.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
there are five different doors to get into my house, as well as the garage. not enough crime around here to justify the investment, never mind managing it. i get tired of keeping devices working properly and actively avoid adding new ones.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
The amount of private surveillance in my neighborhood is pretty gut wrenching. There is some tech millionaire benefactor that will install a camera for you to record the street and pay for the service to store the footage.

I'm sure my tune might change if/when it's my car/garage/house that's broken into or my family that is hurt (sidenote.. I haven't figured out what happened in our neighborhood yesterday. SFPD had multiple vehicles, both undercover and squad cars closing off the cross street. Someone in custody a few blocks away. IDK), even if it were only for insurance compensation.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
The amount of private surveillance in my neighborhood is pretty gut wrenching. There is some tech millionaire benefactor that will install a camera for you to record the street and pay for the service to store the footage.

I'm sure my tune might change if/when it's my car/garage/house that's broken into or my family that is hurt (sidenote.. I haven't figured out what happened in our neighborhood yesterday. SFPD had multiple vehicles, both undercover and squad cars closing off the cross street. Someone in custody a few blocks away. IDK), even if it were only for insurance compensation.
what SF neighborhood do you live in, if you don't mind me asking?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

Package theft
Illegal dumping
Hit and run

The last two, especially, can get really expensive.

For $100 camera with free cloud storage ours has really paid off.

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
Package theft
Illegal dumping
Hit and run

The last two, especially, can get really expensive.
For $100 camera with free cloud storage ours has really paid off.
Aren't you the one who said you make tons of money and had buckets of available cash? Illegal dumping...what shithole do you live in, anyway, with all that money to spare?

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I think we're about to get a couple cameras on our yard front/back via wireless. Ive been wanting to do it, because although we feel secure, i leave boars and suits out all the time, kayaks, fishing stuff lawn tools decor and vehicles. We have had some sketchy people come around lately and we're getting older. Plus, it's doable these days so finally gonna do it.
Any recommendations here?
I looked online at the wyze cams but it seems too good to be true at the advertised prices.
Not as crucial as a coffemaker, but what do you know of all this?

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Yes ... they are an integral part of our overall home security plan .... which essentially is to make our house look like too much of a hassle so that the potential intruders look for an easier target. Our plan has already proven effective as multiple neighbors have had break-ins and our house has not been touched.

Note - the setup i have Swann Security System ... the cameras have motion detection and will save a video clip ... will also send an alert to your phone or whatever electronic device. I had to turn the notifications off - however - too many false positives - the wind will actually trigger the motion detection.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Have gone from one to three. Thinking about grabbing more.

from a liability standpoint I think it’s best I have video evidence of any incident on my property.

if peeps aren’t freaking out over privacy anymore, why not?

i can’t wait for the day signing a release of liability at the front door is a norm.

• Haha
Reactions: enframed