Home improvement - where to start?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I would keep the romex or how ever the wires fed in outlet box then remove outlet and cap wires like shown inside box and then install a solid cover plate over box
I would too but it’s somewhere very inconvenient to do so. Plus it’s not like anyone else cared or tried to do anything right previously lol. Bitd around these parts, building codes were lax, inspections non existent, etc. It’s hilarious.

How many things are wrong in this picture?
1663281267239.jpeg
All of them. I’m the laziest dude in the world and I wouldn’t have made this mess. The breaker box will need a pro. Im still not sure if these switches have a breaker lol.

Im actually now thinking about running it up to the ceiling above with a switch along the way for a light fixture.

Why waste electricity?

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
was curious how they’d cover up the botched install without ripping it out.

wonder how many peeps they’ve pulled this on but wasn’t addressed.
A ton. Because most people either aren't discerning, are afraid to speak up, or just flipping the place.

Like I always say, it's the same with the surfboardmaking business. People will accept garbage craftmanship for the same reasons.

We've had 6 contractors in the house over the past 5 years.

4 of those contractors have either done things blatantly incorrectly or attempted to skip out on finish work.

Reactions: sdsrfr

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
We've had 6 contractors in the house over the past 5 years.

4 of those contractors have either done things blatantly incorrectly or attempted to skip out on finish work.
Thats insane but Im not surprise and is a big reason why I’m doing it myself along with having mad skills and HAVING THE FREE TIME.

You definitely IMO need more than average at least free time to do this crap.

And you have to at least kind of like it. I get off on it so…

Reactions: sdsrfr

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I would too but it’s somewhere very inconvenient to do so. Plus it’s not like anyone else cared or tried to do anything right previously lol. Bitd around these parts, building codes were lax, inspections non existent, etc. It’s hilarious.

How many things are wrong in this picture?
View attachment 137987
All of them. I’m the laziest dude in the world and I wouldn’t have made this mess. The breaker box will need a pro. Im still not sure if these switches have a breaker lol.

Im actually now thinking about running it up to the ceiling above with a switch along the way for a light fixture.

Why waste electricity?
I assume this is other electrical issue right then oulet mentioned above? Some times easier to start over and romex makes it easier to run wire from light to wall could feed in same consuit box if you dont want to make new hole(s) or cut switches and cap like video inside box and use cover plate over box like mentioned:shrug:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
My friend is a finish carpenter and handyman. He only takes on smaller jobs that take less than a few days (cabinet refinishing, flooring, cabinet installs). He does incredible work and is very precise. Also shows up on time and finishes everything to spec.

Told me that he has so much work coming in that he has to turn down some jobs because of all the recommendations he gets. Apparently finding a reliable person is hard to do.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I assume this is other electrical issue right then oulet mentioned above? Some times easier to start over and romex makes it easier to run wire from light to wall could feed in same consuit box if you dont want to make new hole(s) or cut switches and cap like video inside box and use cover plate over box like mentioned:shrug:
That outlets functions but I gets so mad whenever I find a rats nest in the box. And whoever the painter was…

Im going to cut the box off, cap it for now, then run the romex that’s left to a switch that powers one of these

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Anyone have any plaster repair tips? This just got added to my weekend to-do list.

View attachment 138022
Looks like exterior right? Remove any lose plaster around hole and on wall. Cut plaster fiberglass cloth 1/4" bigger then hole x 2 and run the weave both directions when you stick to wall. Then cover thin even layer over cloth and allow to dry 24 hours or complete dry. Next cover all the area with plaster make sure to even out "less sanding" with putty knife. Also fill in those cracks on wall with plaster as well to help seal.

Reactions: Chocki

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Another pro tip I just learned for So CA and any where with bad h20. Buy the biggest home filter you can buy "mine G&E 9"x12"" and install about a foot from h20 valve going into your home and also make sure to install shut off valve 12" after filter. The shut off valve helps stop vacum effect when you shut off water to change filter or you well not be able to get off:cursing: This really does help all your appliances etc last longer and keeps the shower door scum down as well.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Looks like exterior right? Remove any lose plaster around hole and on wall. Cut plaster fiberglass cloth 1/4" bigger then hole x 2 and run the weave both directions when you stick to wall. Then cover thin even layer over cloth and allow to dry 24 hours or complete dry. Next cover all the area with plaster make sure to even out "less sanding" with putty knife. Also fill in those cracks on wall with plaster as well to help seal.
Look a little closer.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Look a little closer.
Only difference is using plaster exterior or joint compound interior to fix and joint compound is easier to work with. After final coat you can wet paper towells and softly smooth out with wet towell to save sand time.