Home improvement - where to start?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Not trying to kick you while you're down and you may already know this, but that will look worse as soap scum and mold builds in the texture he left in the caulk. It will be hard to keep it looking clean. If it becomes an issue you may want to find a painter or trim carpenter who's caulked miles and miles of molding and trim. There is a bit of an art to applying the right amount and smoothing it properly.
I know.

There shouldn't be any caulk like that there in the first place.

They're coming out to correct it today. Not sure how they plan to do that with silicone caulk. lol.

This may end in a complete redo not on my tab.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Not trying to kick you while you're down and you may already know this, but that will look worse as soap scum and mold builds in the texture he left in the caulk. It will be hard to keep it looking clean. If it becomes an issue you may want to find a painter or trim carpenter who's caulked miles and miles of molding and trim. There is a bit of an art to applying the right amount and smoothing it properly.
I have this issue behind my vanity. There is barely an inch between the wall and the base of the faucet. Pretty much impossible to clean back there with anything but a toothbrush, and even then I would have to do it regularly and it would still look like crap :cursing:

Tile behind it would be the only thing that would work, but even then it doesn't solve the space issue. My plan is to get a sink top that slopes down slightly around the edges for drainage with the faucet moved away from the wall. Probably have to be custom.

Blows my mind how many common sense things like this aren't incorporated into designs.

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
I have this issue behind my vanity. There is barely an inch between the wall and the base of the faucet. Pretty much impossible to clean back there with anything but a toothbrush, and even then I would have to do it regularly and it would still look like crap :cursing:

Tile behind it would be the only thing that would work, but even then it doesn't solve the space issue. My plan is to get a sink top that slopes down slightly around the edges for drainage with the faucet moved away from the wall. Probably have to be custom.

Blows my mind how many common sense things like this aren't incorporated into designs.
1663002512122.png
Those one piece bathroom faucets (like above) are hard to clean behind. I spray cleaner back there and hold a hand towel at each end. Pulling the towel tight from each end I run it back and forth behind the faucet. Kinda like a flossing motion. Newer faucet styles seem like they'd be easier to clean. With each handle and spout in it's own hole.
1663002566144.png
or this style using one hole :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:
1663002597660.png

Reactions: grapedrink

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
Free paint (like choice of 150 gallons), Raid, CLR, motor oil, weed killer, carpet cleaner, garden nutrients, roach powder, & more at your local Hazardous Material Recycler Center.

Reactions: keenfish and Chocki

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I thinking of putting Hardy on my house, but prices have almost doubled since 2020. Anyone done it? The siding guy says ROI is a no brainer, but IDK

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
True dat. The person presenting the bill sucks even more.
I told the person who came over to inspect the overall shittiness how unsatisfied I was, he said he would be notifying the the guy in charge.

I will give him 2 days to call me and make things right.

Then I'm going to let them know they're not meeting the terms of contract.

Unfortunately they're still contracted to do my other shower! :roflmao:

- Mr. Doof, out!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
this is another notch towards me re-doing my own tub.

how long was the job, demo to now?
2.5 days, with 2 guys working 8 - 6.

Steel tub and tile removal.

Acrylic tub and walls installed.

I went the acrylic route specifically because
a) I couldn't find anyone I thought I could trust to do any other sort of install
b) maintenance is easy (no grout, etc)
c) I thought it would be difficult for a contractor who specializes in installing acrylic showers to fvck this up.
d) easier to pursue them legally if work not performed up to standard.

Reactions: sdsrfr

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Somewhere I read that if it’s not up to par, landscaping is the biggest bang for your buck in terms of ROI on home improvements

I just started the Reno process at my place. Knocking out closets/wall to connect two bedrooms into one. Lots of painting. Bamboo lam floors. New bathroom vanities and at some point the kitchen. Might reptile a shower while I’m at it.

Pro tip when demoing walls use a shorty sawzall blade. That way when you forget there’s an outlet on the other side of the drywall your cutting up and the juice is still on your cool. Ask me how I know.

• Haha
Reactions: PJ

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
Pro tip when demoing walls use a shorty sawzall blade. That way when you forget there’s an outlet on the other side of the drywall your cutting up and the juice is still on your cool. Ask me how I know.
Most lessons in construction are learned the hard way. I remember when my dad lit the wall insulation on fire while soldering a pipe. It ran up the wall quick, behind the drywall. He just started grabbing fists of drywall and eventually grabbed enough of the burning insulation to stop it.

My dad was an electrician by trade, but my whole childhood we were always adding-on or remodeling our home. Mostly because my dad would bring home the stuff they were tearing out on job sites. Wealthy people remodel every 4 or 5 years, so the stuff is almost new as long as the demo crew handles the stuff properly. He'd bring home everything. Whole kitchens w/cabinets, appliances, counters, etc. Brought home all the windows from a job once too. Learned a lot, but it sucked when my friends were headed to the beach and I'm stuck installing windows that don't really fit the openings.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Most lessons in construction are learned the hard way. I remember when my dad lit the wall insulation on fire while soldering a pipe. It ran up the wall quick, behind the drywall. He just started grabbing fists of drywall and eventually grabbed enough of the burning insulation to stop it.

My dad was an electrician by trade, but my whole childhood we were always adding-on or remodeling our home. Mostly because my dad would bring home the stuff they were tearing out on job sites. Wealthy people remodel every 4 or 5 years, so the stuff is almost new as long as the demo crew handles the stuff properly. My dad would bring home everything. Whole kitchens w/cabinets, appliances, counters, etc. Brought home all the windows from a job once too.
Word. The good stuff lasts forever. My kitchen cabinets are crumbling and look like sh!t. Thanks cheap Texans.

Electricians are smart. Lot less wear on tear on the rig. High demand for your skill that are also immediately transferred to plumbing/hydraulics

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
Word. The good stuff lasts forever. My kitchen cabinets are crumbling and look like sh!t. Thanks cheap Texans.

Electricians are smart. Lot less wear on tear on the rig. High demand for your skill that are also immediately transferred to plumbing/hydraulics
Oddly enough I still have to look up a lot of electrical stuff online. I didn't really pay attention as a kid.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I did a lot o remodeling on my house in Hawaii. I've saved so much money. Probably going to need to hire a framer at some point to frame out a floor and add a bath to my master bedroom.

I've heard so many horror stories about remodeling and bad contractors. One friend budgeted $300K and ended up $200K over budget. Stories like that scare me.