Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
So we want to redo our kitchen
and maybe make more of an open floor plan
and maybe extend out a few feet, and maybe sliding glass doors to the back yard
but it might be extending over the sewer line
possibly the gas line too
and I don’t know how close the the property line I’m allowed to build

so I have no idea where to start to get a ballpark number of what this would cost
or if a push out of 2 feet is 60k less than 6 feet
or if this is going to raise my taxes by 5k per year or 20k per year

ive heard an architect would be the first step in the job, and a general contractor would coordinate everything
but whats the best way to start, with little to no investment, to get a general idea of what is worth doing

thanks any thoughts

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’ll connect you with one of my architect friends (actually you’ve surfed with one of them) and I bet he’d offer some free advice on the scope of what you want, and who knows maybe you hire him. He’s damn good. good enough to thrive in the Hampton’s where there are countless world class architects

Reactions: Aruka and afoaf

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Slider will make the space feel bigger, even if you can't extend the footprint. Plus it great for moving large objects in and out, which hopefully you don't have to do at this point in your life, but nice to have when you do. So if you can't expand, think about how you can create the illusion of space with a smart layout, lighting, windows, etc.

And yeah, all that other stuff is pretty crucial info (utilities, setbacks, etc). I wanted to add a bathroom off my master but with the setbacks, the best I was going to do was a 4' deep bathroom for $50k. LOL, but no.

Keep in mind that you will be living in a construction zone for a while :drowning:

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
also doing some remodel planning in my condo. anyone in LA-ish area got contractor recommendations? biggest construction part would be removing a wall in the kitchen. plus converting a tub to shower, new cabinets, counters, some electrical work, new floors, paint, ceilings, possibly new windows.

Reactions: Random Guy

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Slider will make the space feel bigger, even if you can't extend the footprint. Plus it great for moving large objects in and out, which hopefully you don't have to do at this point in your life, but nice to have when you do. So if you can't expand, think about how you can create the illusion of space with a smart layout, lighting, windows, etc.

And yeah, all that other stuff is pretty crucial info (utilities, setbacks, etc). I wanted to add a bathroom off my master but with the setbacks, the best I was going to do was a 4' deep bathroom for $50k. LOL, but no.

Keep in mind that you will be living in a construction zone for a while :drowning:
yeah, living in a construction zone while working from home might be challenging, but a couple of months of apologizing on 10 zoom calls a day will build character

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
yeah, living in a construction zone while working from home might be challenging, but a couple of months of apologizing on 10 zoom calls a day will build character
You think a project like that is only a couple months?

I'm LMAO_U_Dum_Dums... !!

All kidding aside. Do your homework and when they tell you it's going to be x weeks to complete then double it and don't be surprised if it takes even longer.

But please take progress photos for updates so we can all feel your pain. ;)

I still kid. Go for it. It's worth it in the long run. You deserve this so spare no expense!! :shaka:

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
Nice!
groundswell ruined my wife’s kitchen :cursing:
Start with, why do u want to go bigger? New kitchen, kind of expensive.

New bigger kitchen that expands outward, crazy expensive.

Maybe new kitchen and open floor plan? And bigger windows?

Need pictures of what's there and what's outside.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Start with, why do u want to go bigger? New kitchen, kind of expensive.

New bigger kitchen that expands outward, crazy expensive.

Maybe new kitchen and open floor plan? And bigger windows?

Need pictures of what's there and what's outside.
ill send pics tomorrow.
Thanks !

top priorities: more cabinets, more counters, remove tile kitchen floor to be level with wood floor in the rest of the house, replace appliances, better lighting, more outlets
larger dining room table / options for holidays
more space, better use of dead space, sliding door towards back yard

my wife cooks and bakes a lot. Spends many hours every day in the kitchen. It would be nice to have it be set up a whole lot better

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
ill send pics tomorrow.
Thanks !

top priorities: more cabinets, more counters, remove tile kitchen floor to be level with wood floor in the rest of the house, replace appliances, better lighting, more outlets
larger dining room table / options for holidays
more space, better use of dead space, sliding door towards back yard

my wife cooks and bakes a lot. Spends many hours every day in the kitchen. It would be nice to have it be set up a whole lot better
In that case, it makes sense. Plan on 50k for the expansion. 50k for top of the line cabinets. Granite is 150 a lineal (not square) foot. Appliances 20 to 40 k if you go nice. Built in refrigerator. (2 fridges if your wife likes to cook)

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
Personal taste, but unless you go super high end with the sliders, I always prefer swinging doors for looks and maintenance

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
when is it better to reno vs buy a different home?

hgtv makes it look easy but my friends who bought fixer uppers are a couple years into an ugly mess.