rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I have been microwave free for 5 years

I do not think I would install one in my barbie dreamhouse kitchen

big range and a proper hood are bomber
We have never had a microwave.

We did an induction cooktop in the new kitchen. Pretty stoked.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
So if u wanted to reheat lasagna in 2 minutes how do you do it? Serious question.
you can def reheat lasagna in toaster oven OR a pan with lid

neither are 2 minute operations

best guess....depending on the mass, you could get it heated through in 5-10 min

I acknowledge there's a time trade off....the calculus made sense for me given the
very limited space in my hovel's kitchen

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Any recs as to who does the best computer color matching for house paint?
IMO as a painter, Sherwin Williams, Dunn Edwards, Home Depot, Lowes, etc, all have a computer color matching 'eye' that will get you pretty close. Goto the store that you want to buy your paint from. Your best bet, is if you have the existing paint color, in a can somewhere, mix that up, if you can, and finger some on a piece of cardstock, and take that to the paint store to have them color match it.
The very best is if you have someone behind the counter who is really good at custom color matching, and can fine tune the color to exact. This is what I do in the field on jobs, when I need to make a custom color, I have a rack of tints, and just start going to town to get the color matched. Keep in mind that if you are 'touching up', the paint will never match the existing color you are trying to touch up because of age, so you'll need to custom match the existing color for touch ups. If you are re-painting an area completely, then you can get away with a bit of variance on color, if you or your wife is flexible with that, if you are painting an entire room, or wall.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Microwave is useful for some things like melting chocolate, softening butter, some other stuff I see being done once in a while. maybe something smaller than we have. I never use it
the induction stove top scares me. Too easy to leave something on top, not realize its on, and burn the place down. Gas stove tops are a pain in the ass to clean, but they work really well
the vent / hood thing is a must. the Kitchen heats up fast when the oven is oN now, and that sucks

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Microwaving food is disgusting. I refuse to do it. I'm weird and defrost microwave meals and then heat them up on the stove or in a toaster oven.

Also, a good induction top is lifechanging.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Microwave is useful for some things like melting chocolate, softening butter, some other stuff I see being done once in a while. maybe something smaller than we have. I never use it
Exactly, why have a "once in a while" appliance take up that much real estate?- put butter out at room temp. Put chocolate in a double boiler over your new Thermador freestanding convection range

the induction stove top scares me. Too easy to leave something on top, not realize its on, and burn the place down.
and gas is cheaper, and you would need 100% induction stovetop compatible cookware. Plus, you'll need to find a lighter every time Eunice is over and wants to flambé something.

Gas stove tops are a pain in the ass to clean, but they work really well
the vent / hood thing is a must. the Kitchen heats up fast when the oven is oN now, and that sucks
A wipedown after each use takes a couple of minutes and a deep clean maybe once a month? Oven heated kitchen is good on cold winter days.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the induction stove top scares me. Too easy to leave something on top, not realize its on, and burn the place down. Gas stove tops are a pain in the ass to clean, but they work really well
I'm super ghetto, but I also cook daily on the range....and like a slob at that, so I
lay down aluminum like this and just go to town

rip it up, easy wipe underneath, new layer...good to go

if company is coming over and I give a fook, I'll take it off for appearances

1601500566644.png

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I'm super ghetto, but I also cook daily on the range....and like a slob at that, so I

View attachment 98523
memories of my childhood. ode to an under appreciated and over worked mother who yelled a lot.

• Love
Reactions: Mr Doof and afoaf

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Appliance related -

I got a skillet/panini press/hot plate instead of a toaster or toaster oven. No regrets 10yrs later.

havent gotten rid of the nuke box yet, hunny bunny still likes it for drying out leftovers, but it’s on my list to axe next.

it’s really not hard to set an oven with a timer. 15min vs 30sec but yah, it’s one of the things worth slowing down for.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

View attachment 98523
This certainly doesn't look like a guy that would turn down rice pilaf

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

View attachment 98523

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
the induction stove top scares me. Too easy to leave something on top, not realize its on, and burn the place down.
How so, more than gas?

We had electric before (no gas in the house at all), so we are super stoked on the induction.

Microwave never.

1601502193813.png

Reactions: grapedrink

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
The ghetto hack of putting tin foil wrapped food inside the All-Clad pan on top of the induction stove can lead to :drowning:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
How so, more than gas?

We had electric before (no gas in the house at all), so we are super stoked on the induction.

Microwave never.

View attachment 98524
gas you can see the flame
if you have a dish towel or paper towel, will the induction burn it and start a fire?
also, is there as much control with induction as with gas?
we had electric in our last house and were very happy to switch back to gas