Home improvement - where to start?

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Have you ever cleaned a Wolf :ROFLMAO: Unless they make versions that don't require moving 25 pieces around just to clean it?
I've probably never seen one :p and was stressing the type of unit over a brand. A simple but high quality gas, freestanding range with single convection oven and a hood/fan/light above IMO would make a cook enjoy cooking more than that setup. Just my .02. RG seemed to stress the enjoyment of wifey kitchen time/cooking as a big factor. My 3rd cent would be better countertop prep space, like making that thing in the foreground a walkaround/island prep area instead of a bar stool eatery, and make up for the less cabinet space where the hood would go by putting storage underneath the island.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I’ve never even heard of these high end brands!
I just saw a pic on Zillow of a kitchen with an island instead of the thing we have, and it didn’t seem like it was wetting us what we want in counter space or cabinets
Right now, i Think the kitchen is just too small, pushing out is too expensive, and we don’t want to move
Not giving up on any ideas, and instead, lowering expectations

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014
As I said before, all retrofits suck. There is no way to properly waterproof them. Stucco is porous. They are waterproofed by using silicone to the stucco.

Where does the water go, that soakes into the stucco above the window? It runs down the inside of the stucco, against the tar paper, until it hit the top of the window, where it would normally flow to the outside. That's how waterproofing works. But with a retrofit, you have that outside trim fin to dam the water from exiting. Where does it go? Into the framing.

But people pay me thousands to replace a rotted header. I just got paid 1200 yesterday to replace a termite eaten post. Took about 6 hours.

Damn, I love water and termite damage and deferred maintenance.,
solution?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I've probably never seen one :p and was stressing the type of unit over a brand. A simple but high quality gas, freestanding range with single convection oven and a hood/fan/light above IMO would make a cook enjoy cooking more than that setup. Just my .02. RG seemed to stress the enjoyment of wifey kitchen time/cooking as a big factor. My 3rd cent would be better countertop prep space, like making that thing in the foreground a walkaround/island prep area instead of a bar stool eatery, and make up for the less cabinet space where the hood would go by putting storage underneath the island.
All that sounds nice for sure. Although a friend of mine has a wolf and the entire surface is grates. Any grease, liquid, pieces of onion etc that comes out of the pan gets stuck to the grates or goes underneath. It’s a headache to keep clean, and every so often you have to take all of them off and scrub them down, along with the surface underneath.

I’m all for high quality appliances, but not if it’s tougher to clean and maintain than what I’m replacing. Ease of upkeep would be a pillar if I were doing a project like this.

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
solution?
Either repair what is there, or full replacement.
If you replace, then you bust out the stucco around each window, remove andx replace, patch the stucco. Then if you want it to not show, you do a new finish coat on the entire wall.

I always recommend maintenance, and keeping operational what you have.

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
All that sounds nice for sure. Although a friend of mine has a wolf and the entire surface is grates. Any grease, liquid, pieces of onion etc that comes out of the pan gets stuck to the grates or goes underneath. It’s a headache to keep clean, and every so often you have to take all of them off and scrub them down, along with the surface underneath.

I’m all for high quality appliances, but not if it’s tougher to clean and maintain than what I’m replacing. Ease of upkeep would be a pillar if I were doing a project like this.
You go with a wolf or a high end for the heat output. Big flame is instsnt hot. That matters to some, from what i hear.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
You go with a wolf or a high end for the heat output. Big flame is instsnt hot. That matters to some, from what i hear.
I agree that it matters. I just don’t want to remove 50 pounds of iron grates every time l want to clean something. A high output flame on an easier to clean range would be the best of both worlds.

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
I don't like to travel, so i put into my house, what others spend on vacations. If your house is nice enough, why ever leave?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Is RG allowed to ditch that upper decker microwave unit and stick in an epic gas convection freestanding oven / range with cast iron grates and a hood? Stick the microwave somewhere unmounted if one is needed? Me thinks your wifey would be pumped on an epic range, like a Viking, Wolf etc and a hood with a fan and light.
I have been microwave free for 5 years

I do not think I would install one in my barbie dreamhouse kitchen

big range and a proper hood are bomber

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I like a microwave for warming up plates. Makes a huge difference with eggs and seafood. Although you can also slide your plate onto a warm grate for a few seconds, so not essential.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
So what do u do when u need to warm something up in a hurry?
I have a small toaster oven that gets stowed

though, now that I think about it, most leftovers get re-heated in a pan on range

for me it was a counter space issue more than anything

drainer

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2009
Lewdcadia
I have a small toaster oven that gets stowed

though, now that I think about it, most leftovers get re-heated in a pan on range

for me it was a counter space issue more than anything
So if u wanted to reheat lasagna in 2 minutes how do you do it? Serious question.