Home improvement - where to start?

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
A ton. Because most people either aren't discerning, are afraid to speak up, or just flipping the place.

Like I always say, it's the same with the surfboardmaking business. People will accept garbage craftmanship for the same reasons.

We've had 6 contractors in the house over the past 5 years.

4 of those contractors have either done things blatantly incorrectly or attempted to skip out on finish work.
How's the bathroom sitch going? Did they do better the second time?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
So they started on the new shower.

Demo revealed a load bearing section of wood and concrete.

The shower designed won't fit.

So they're like, we'll just shrink the width.

I looked up the building code and shrinking the width will not meet code.

They only install showers, and at this point they can't install what I want.

So I want out of the contract.

Thots?

• Sad
Reactions: rowjimmytour

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Is this for a prefab insert or a custom tile shower ? what would the stall width be?

They should be able to make something custom work, it’ll just cost more.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
I see this in your future

View attachment 138304
Holy fook!
Haven't looked at this thread for a while.
That is going on RIGHT NOW at our house.
Had a house sitter over last week while we were in Yosemite.
Get a call and the 2nd bath toilet is backed up and the wax seal is leaking while they were trying to plunge it.
$hit! (sorry for the pun)
Call our plumber to go over and root it.
Cleared it.
He then runs a scope to see what's happening.
Totally collapsed iron sewer pipe.
BIG BUCKS fix to the tune of $21,000+
Guys had to tunnel under the house (several yards of dirt sitting on a tarp in the backyard) and, as I type, they are running a new trenchless pipe.
Total nightmare, fortunately, they say we will have toilet/shower/sink back in one bathroom at end of day. :foreheadslap:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Guys had to tunnel under the house (several yards of dirt sitting on a tarp in the backyard) and, as I type, they are running a new trenchless pipe.
Total nightmare, fortunately, they say we will have toilet/shower/sink back in one bathroom at end of day. :foreheadslap:
Am guessing this collapsed pipe is on your property....so yikes!

We had a main break under the street up the hill from us. Water was coming up in my water meter junction box in front of the house.

When I called the city to report it, they said I was on the hook for repairs and did I still want to report it.

"Well, considering there will probably be a sinkhole on the street, sidewalk, and my home, yeah, I wanna report it."

Turns out, the break was under the street. Water has just flowed under the pavement/sidewalk but above the soil and was just coming up in my water meter box in an artesian well kind of display.

About a decade later, the city told me I had to replace the sidewalk in front of the house that had buckled.......sigh.

Anyway, I know it doesn't help, but much sympathy my fellow landed gentry.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
So they started on the new shower.

Demo revealed a load bearing section of wood and concrete.

The shower designed won't fit.

So they're like, we'll just shrink the width.

I looked up the building code and shrinking the width will not meet code.

They only install showers, and at this point they can't install what I want.

So I want out of the contract.

Thots?

Talk to them face to face.

Mutual contract tear up.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Am guessing this collapsed pipe is on your property....so yikes!

We had a main break under the street up the hill from us. Water was coming up in my water meter junction box in front of the house.

When I called the city to report it, they said I was on the hook for repairs and did I still want to report it.

"Well, considering there will probably be a sinkhole on the street, sidewalk, and my home, yeah, I wanna report it."

Turns out, the break was under the street. Water has just flowed under the pavement/sidewalk but above the soil and was just coming up in my water meter box in an artesian well kind of display.

About a decade later, the city told me I had to replace the sidewalk in front of the house that had buckled.......sigh.

Anyway, I know it doesn't help, but much sympathy my fellow landed gentry.
Yea, it's under the house, fortunately, the clay pipe from the house out to the street is B+-A-, otherwise another 10K.
Going home tonight and downing a few of these.:beer:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Holy fook!
Get a call and the 2nd bath toilet is backed up and the wax seal is leaking while they were trying to plunge it.
Cleared it.
happened to a friend. had root intrusion, i believe. they told me about $25k for them.

it was one of those numbing life events that you kind of have to calmly wear on the chin and move on hoping the next doesnt hit you for at least a few years bc no way around it - it sucks.

said the work actually wasn't too bad and their crew got everything back together like it never happened.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Holy fook!
Cleared it.
Doesn't homeowner's insurance pay for this kin of crap?