Home improvement - where to start?

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
Dishwashers -

my opening from kitchen tile to bottom of the counter is 33 5/8”, FML.

but, I noticed the dishwasher isn’t actually sitting on the tile, it drops another half inch when pushed all the way in.

anyone have experience dropping the feet on the front of the dishwasher to wiggle it into 33.5”? We’re specifically looking at Bosch dishwashers.

im quickly reading that my alternative options is find an ADA dishwasher or cut my counter.
They must’ve tiled the floor after the cabinets were installed. I feel like that’s got to be a fairly common problem. Did you try doing a youtube search along with google? Might be some solutions or tips already figured out.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
They must’ve tiled the floor after the cabinets were installed. I feel like that’s got to be a fairly common problem. Did you try doing a youtube search along with google?
I did some quick google and it’s a big “maybe it will maybe it wont“. Someone actually suggested removing the tile in the immediate area under the washer, but I don’t know how that gets something supposedly 33 7/8“ minimum into a 33 5/8” opening.

I need to check the old photos but there is absolutely a chance that what was a linoleum kitchen floor became 1/2” tile.

there is a chance I can cut the counter tile but I’m thinking that will be ugly AF free hand and difficult with the orientation of the lip.

gonna head to Lowe’s shortly with a measuring tape to see what can be pulled off.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I did some quick google and it’s a big “maybe it will maybe it wont“. Someone actually suggested removing the tile in the immediate area under the washer, but I don’t know how that gets something supposedly 33 7/8“ minimum into a 33 5/8” opening.

I need to check the old photos but there is absolutely a chance that what was a linoleum kitchen floor became 1/2” tile.

there is a chance I can cut the counter tile but I’m thinking that will be ugly AF free hand and difficult with the orientation of the lip.

gonna head to Lowe’s shortly with a measuring tape to see what can be pulled off.
You may have just enough space to tilt it back and slowly weasel it in. Will be a two man job and won't be easy but sure beats hacking up your tile if you can pull it off.

Good luck!

Reactions: sdsrfr

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Is it a use it or loose it grant? Survey your neighbors and see if any of them have done it. You may not need to do anything and you won’t get very far on 3K. Those houses were built to last. You have lathe and plaster walls? Any cracks in the foundation?
Guys are under the house drilling and hammering away. The FEMA grant covered 100% of the cost. Not costing me a penny.

Reactions: ElOgro and npsp

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Excellent! I’m glad that worked out for you.
Win win for everyone. Contractor and two workers get paid. We get our house retrofitted and hopefully save a bit on our homeowners insurance but not holding my breath. The whole process was super easy.

Reactions: npsp and ElOgro

schex

Miki Dora status
Jun 9, 2015
OB/Point Loma

Most DW have adjustable front legs (all I ever installed) and a screw that accesses from the front to lift the back leg. Also if there is a small amount of space under the counter , no one will see it unless they are on the floor

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Measuring tape says I have 1/8” clearance on the way in before dropping half an inch where the tile ends if I stick with the Bosch 800 series.

Kitchen Aid makes one that gives me 1/4” clearance. But it’s not a Bosch.

other option is ADA size which would slide in fine.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Stick with the Bosch. They're good machines.
Since you have clearance Clarence, cut out a piece of 1/2" plywood to fit. This will keep the dishwasher from dropping to the lower floor. You want the dishwasher as close to the bottom of your counter as possible. You need it close so you can screw in the anchor clips to the bottom of of the counter to keep it from tipping over when both racks are full and resting on the open door.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
got the old dishwasher out without too much anguish. trash man should haul it away from my curb for free.

ended up finding spare tile left by previous owners for the kitchen floors. used one of those $30 linear tile cutters and a hammer to size my pieces, jagged edges no matter when it’s merely a shim and out of sight. $10 of mortar and I’ve tiled my first anything. Not pretty but I’m pleased for $40.

33 5/8” tall Bosch 800 series is closer to 33 3/4” but only bc of the door latch and some superficial metal pieces seemingly placed so you don’t smash the door latch on the install.

bent the bumpers out of the way and wiggled that fukker into the hole. couple pauses to cool my jets and she eventually slipped right in.

we’ll have to pull some counter tile to get it out if we ever have to, but at least I found spares that can be used when that stone needs to be over turned.

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
got the old dishwasher out without too much anguish. trash man should haul it away from my curb for free.

ended up finding spare tile left by previous owners for the kitchen floors. used one of those $30 linear tile cutters and a hammer to size my pieces, jagged edges no matter when it’s merely a shim and out of sight. $10 of mortar and I’ve tiled my first anything. Not pretty but I’m pleased for $40.

33 5/8” tall Bosch 800 series is closer to 33 3/4” but only bc of the door latch and some superficial metal pieces seemingly placed so you don’t smash the door latch on the install.

bent the bumpers out of the way and wiggled that fukker into the hole. couple pauses to cool my jets and she eventually slipped right in.

we’ll have to pull some counter tile to get it out if we ever have to, but at least I found spares that can be used when that stone needs to be over turned.

• Haha
Reactions: PJ