Holy cow!!!!!! foil accident in Hanalei

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Ive had a friend fugg himself up on his foil. He is now terrified of it but still loyal to the foil. Its weird.

noone999

OTF status
Sep 13, 2012
HI
He is a well known, very humble guy. It is very sad this happened to him. He is a super good waterman, too. Just a freak thing. People have stepped up and rallied for him.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
At least he did it to himself.

Could you imagine the outrage if someone else had sliced him?

I was surfing Hanalei on good sized day and Laird was out on his foil. During this one set, he's screaming down the line straight towards me at what had to be something approaching 50mph. The distance he was covering was almost incomprehensible because I'd never seen anyone go that fast on a wave. At that speed, there's literally nothing you can do to get out of the way other than continue along your line or stop. I stopped, sat up and he did this huge roundhouse completely around me. Scared the sh!t out of me for a few seconds.

As I was changing I was taking to a local guy about it. He was telling me that the guys in the water started calling him "the blade." :ROFLMAO:

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
The main reason I have stayed away. Too many stories of friends who have jacked themselves bad in the 'learning curve' period

Nothing against foils at all, they look fun as sh!t... but I would 100% be that guy
That's how I've always felt about drugs.

Last edited:

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
All I know is that I hate having one of these things anywhere near me. There are idiots, I mean gentlemen of questionable judgment, who bring them out at Sunslop and pump spastically through the crowd, coming insanely close to people. It's just . . . why? Why would you feel a need to do that?

Reactions: Havoc

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Paging PPK======== what was the surf like 13 days ago====== where were they at??
Hell. you know better than to ask me a question like that. Like You, I have a hard time remembering yesterday ~
I know most of the FF that work at Station #1 through the K-9 unit. Sorry Jim, not sure where they were at. He was very lucky though and to have people around him that knew what they were doing.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I remember on one of our last days of our 2019 Kauai trip, it was the smallest day of the 2 weeks, but perfect for the wives and kids and everyone out on longboards having a grand time. There was a pretty aggressive and dangerous middle aged guy doing laps on a foil around the lineup coming close to lots of people on every wave…he was good at it, but even good surfers fall all the time. And he seemed like he should have known better at his age, and also you can go way up the hanalei reef and foil all those weird sections that aren’t ride able on any other craft

plenty of locals were grumbling about it too. Seems like the guy was probably a known entity, because none of the other locals sounded him about it, even though a few were expressing their disapproval amongst themselves

Reactions: PPK96754