Hollow Trees (HT)

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
It's a great wave. If you're on a boat trip it is a mandatory stop. I'm not sure it's the place to post up for a whole trip but once you get one from the surgeons table through the second bowl you'll be damned stocked for a while. PSA: It's not as easy of a wave to surf as the pros make it look in the videos. So be prepared to hit the reef if you want one from up where the pros are taking off.

Reactions: santacruzin
Aug 8, 2019
Made the trek 2 years ago, it is certainly worth it. I had one day that was really good, but many days the wind blew onshore ( I believe south wind?) Nobody really surfed when it was onshore so I actually surfed completely alone quite a bit. Being from San Diego, onshore HT's with swell is still really fun. Yes to the above comments to get a good one at "the office" requires commitment. The surgeon table is always looming especially if you try to take a wide one. There is a trick to trimming out and going over the reef and paddling back out through the lagoon, that will save you quite a bit of skin if you don't make a set wave. shoot it you have any other q's, enjoy the trip

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Not my favorite wave under head high, actually kind of slopey. I'm on my backhand there and when it's on the smaller side, it is pretty frustrating since it (maybe just the size, period and direction the three days I surfed it) didn't allow for really vertical surfing, nor the ability to get anything resembling a deep barrel.

I'm pretty sure the surgeon's table is at the end of the inside section closest to where the boats anchor in the channel and not where you're taking off on the outside; or at least that's what I and my friends were told by Mark Coleman who along with Martin Daly was one of the first group of Australian's pioneering the area.

We were on a small boat, the Nusa Dewata back in 2000 and were strongly persuaded not to take dumps on the boat unless it was the middle of the night and an emergency. I was doing my morning biz (which the giant parrot fish seemed to enjoy eating) and thought it be a bright idea to bodysurf the end section at the office while no one was out. I was pretty impressed with the length of ride on my first and only wave only to be deposited right onto the surgeon's table. Luckily I missed the little pinnacles on the main flat part of the reef which can ruin your trip and only got a decent set of scratches on my hip. That was the only skin I left in the 14 days I was there.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The Office and Surgeons Table are the farthest parts up the reef, way before it gets to the Keyhole. The video above is not showing that part of the reef. Took me 3 trips across the reef all the way to the lagoon before I made one. Have a nice big gouge on the side of my Gath from hitting my head on the reef. Would have ended our trip (maybe my life) had I not been wearing it.

• Wow
Reactions: JBerry

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
The Office and Surgeons Table are the farthest parts up the reef, way before it gets to the Keyhole. The video above is not showing that part of the reef. Took me 3 trips across the reef all the way to the lagoon before I made one. Have a nice big gouge on the side of my Gath from hitting my head on the reef. Would have ended our trip (maybe my life) had I not been wearing it.
Yikes! Maybe P-Pass is a somewhat more reasonable wave.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
No, go to the Ments. YOu will not regret it.
So many great waves in the vicinity. From what I've heard of P-Pass it's no cake walk either. Remember, you don't have to take off up the reef. The video above is dreamy, fairly user friendly surf. There's plenty of that on offer that can provide the trip/waves of your life.

• Love

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
I was just there for a 10 day trip (got back about month ago). It's an incredible wave. It's also the most technically difficult wave that I've ever surfed on my back hand. I thought I was a pretty good surfer, but that wave humbled me. Still, it was a great opportunity to push pass my limits. I left a lot of skin and 2 broken boards on that reef. There are other waves in the area that are easy and friendly.

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
I was just there for a 10 day trip (got back about month ago). It's an incredible wave. It's also the most technically difficult wave that I've ever surfed on my back hand. I thought I was a pretty good surfer, but that wave humbled me. Still, it was a great opportunity to push pass my limits. I left a lot of skin and 2 broken boards on that reef. There are other waves in the area that are easy and friendly.
Surgeon's table!

Attachments

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Was lucky enough to surf HTs a couple weeks ago. It was absolutely firing and it humbled me , what a machine.
best wave I have ever seen in person.

Reactions: npsp

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Was lucky enough to surf HTs a couple weeks ago. It was absolutely firing and it humbled me , what a machine.
best wave I have ever seen in person.
SC was HT heaviest front side wave you surfed? And did you surf Green Bush back side and if yes how heavy is that wave?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Has anyone done the trek to HT?

Just curious as the effort may be there to get all the way to the other side of the globe and lots of options, P-Pass in the Caroline Islands seems yummy, but this 'marketing' video may squelch a P-Pass journey.

And nothing sells a song like a surf vid! :shaka:

Having never left the Americas, and being a goofyfoot, I'd say HTs.

I am assuming HT's is more consistent, and it's a summertime wave (aka it sucks at home).

I was under the impression P-Pass was prone to flat spells and is a wintertime wave.

Reactions: JTS

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
You think HTs is heavy, Greenbush will put you down hard. Insane wave though. Not sure if GB or the sick left near the lighthouse island are my favorites. One is heavier than the other but the other has a super sketchy end section that you have to get out of before you're on dry reef. Need to book a trip to make a decision between the two.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
You think HTs is heavy, Greenbush will put you down hard. Insane wave though. Not sure if GB or the sick left near the lighthouse island are my favorites. One is heavier than the other but the other has a super sketchy end section that you have to get out of before you're on dry reef. Need to book a trip to make a decision between the two.
I bet it would! I am no madmen barrel charger but I would still give it a go.

Being out at HTs with almost no crowd meant that I got to take sets. So there were some epic poundings for me.
Thinking about it, with the way the currents work there if you are smart its not bad so maybe most heavy is a bad description.

I had never had the chance to blow it on such perfect waves before, looks so easy on video.
:roflmao:

• Love
Reactions: npsp

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Spent 7ish days at HTs and can attest that it's absolutely all that it's cracked up to be.

When it's small it's fun and playful but add any size and I can guarantee you that it's a serious wave best suited to chargers who are very comfortable with the barrel and sharp reefs. When it's DOH and doubling up, it's absolutely terrifying.

The surgeons' table completely lives up to its name as well and is completely dry on a low tide. It can also easily get sucked dry on a low(ish) tide. The edge of the reef on the back half of the wave is absolutely no joke. The worst I have ever personally seen.

If you're a regular footer and you head there at the end of April or the beginning of May you are absolutely guaranteed to score. If you want something safer and more predictable, head to Nias.