Hip Surgery

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
This seems to be the best evidence based resource I've seen for anyone dealing with what seems to be a FAI issue

My interpretation of this is kinda "there's a good chance you're just fucked".

I have not had the so-called diagnostic MRI yet.

I have seen some significant improvement with PT strengthening exercises over the past few weeks but I don't know if this is from quitting surfing, running, and hiking or the exercises are actually helping.

I have never had any pain in this hip with running or hiking. It was surfing that was killing me. Pain is in the outer hip just below the greater trochanter. Pain is in my front leg with
- the offload during pumping
- the offload during backside turns
- the pop up

Things kept flaring up and calming down until they became intolerable a few weeks ago.

The interesting thing is at this point what really irritates me is the groin twinge I get from internal rotation. This is something that started back in January when I got back on my board after what was a pretty benign wipeout at a slab reef. A super sharp, stabbing pain that happens out of nowhere, lasts about a 1/4 of a second, and catches me completely off guard and makes me want to say "OW!!". It's like a surprise quick kick in the nuts and can be pretty awkward around other people. It's subtle movements that seem to trigger it especially when theres a little surprise movement of the leg under water, like getting rolled a bit during a duckdive. From diagnostic movements elciting the pain PT (who is a surfer) said he can almost guarantee that pain is from impingement. The pain in my outer hip he said he isn't so sure.

The PT I did a few years back worked magic on my other hip (which wasn't nearly as bad) so keeping my fingers crossed with this one.

Best of luck figuring it out.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Read some peer-reviewed literature some weeks ago saying there may be some connection between sports with lost of dynamic movement at a very young age and development of CAM deformity. I thought this was interesting as I was involved in tumbling and later gymnastics from around age 3 to 11...then came across this today:

Soccer player age 4 to 14 too....

That's what every doctor has told me.
It's common with young athletes.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Read some peer-reviewed literature some weeks ago saying there may be some connection between sports with lost of dynamic movement at a very young age and development of CAM deformity. I thought this was interesting as I was involved in tumbling and later gymnastics from around age 3 to 11...then came across this today:

Soccer player age 4 to 14 too....
My first thought having had a bro bitd fuck his hip up playing hockey before graduating HS

byoda

OTF status
Jan 3, 2006
im 64 had 2 thrs first posterior about 9 yrs brutal 6 mon recovery the 2nd 5 yrs ago on the side was ready to go 8 hrs after surgery at least i thought so ive developed some spinal Osteoarthritis that has severely impacted my popup and wavecount to the point where ive just picked up my brand new sup. but the last part of this thread got me wondering about previous injuries
like getting slammed on my lower back rolled across the reef and almost knocked out at pipe @ 18 and taking a few serious shots in the head from my board over the last few decades and having and f_ing desk job has contributed to my situation im at the gym 5 days a week with a custom routine from my Pt for improving popups and taking a bunch of supplements hopefully to regen and repair

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Just had my 8 week post op talk with the surgeon.

I had a look at the before and after shots of the femur and was pretty amazed. I had not realized how much of the bone they chomped out. Still in the slow phases of mobility rehab (I'm walking and doing stuff. Rode a bike the other day. no pain), but can't wait to be given the green light to put more stress on it.

thelodge

OTF status
Jan 25, 2009
Had my right hip replaced. I'm four months out now and I have a common complication which is called Heterotopic Ossification (HO).

It's basically a bone that grew next to the replacement as a result of the drama of the surgery.
The good news is it stopped growing and did not bridge to another bone. The bad news my recovery is taking longer to open up.

It is preventing me from fully bringing my right leg up... Being goofy foot, I can't pop up b/c I cant get the knee under my chest.

I have no pain just stiff/range of motion is not there. I'm sup surfing now just to be in the ocean. I ride my bike 6 miles 4X/ week. Im very active at 4 months.

I'm in intense PT... stretching like crazy to open up. I'm hoping at the six-month mark I can pop up.

IF not I could get the HO removed but that has risk (HO could come back.. could lose more range of motion, etc.).

Frustrating for sure b/c my new hip feels so strong.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Had my right hip replaced. I'm four months out now and I have a common complication which is called Heterotopic Ossification (HO).

It's basically a bone that grew next to the replacement as a result of the drama of the surgery.
The good news is it stopped growing and did not bridge to another bone. The bad news my recovery is taking longer to open up.

It is preventing me from fully bringing my right leg up... Being goofy foot, I can't pop up b/c I cant get the knee under my chest.

I have no pain just stiff/range of motion is not there. I'm sup surfing now just to be in the ocean. I ride my bike 6 miles 4X/ week. Im very active at 4 months.

I'm in intense PT... stretching like crazy to open up. I'm hoping at the six-month mark I can pop up.

IF not I could get the HO removed but that has risk (HO could come back.. could lose more range of motion, etc.).

Frustrating for sure b/c my new hip feels so strong.
I have to remind myself not to stink eye SUPers. You never know what the whole story is. Hope you recover fully.

Reactions: urchined

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
Fracutured hip at 27, became a problem by my mid 50's, replaced at 65, took half a year to rehab enough for comfortable surfing, by the end of a year didn't even pay attention to it anymore. Just need to tuck that leg in if a rag doll imminent, don't want it out there dangling.
Hip revision also greatly improved with the newest techniques, so no reason to deal with a bad hip regardless of age, thinking you need to retain the bad one due to age..replace it, enjoy mobility, if and when you ever wear it out, micro robots will likely be installing the next one...

Reactions: byoda

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Update on my hip:

It's about 95 - 100% pain free at this point.

Still doing my PT exercises religiously about 5 times a week. They take about 30 minutes.

Have been doing plenty of surfing (even heavy groveling the past few weeks) and hiking.

Just started getting the running back into the equation - running seems to be what irritates it the most. I'm keeping mileage at 3 for now.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I have "Explain Pain (2nd)" in .pdf if you want it.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Don't know whether to put this in the back surgery or hip surgery thread, but I surfed for the first time in almost 2 years this weekend. Saturday was appropriately flat and worked great to get started again. Monday morning saw some jumbled little combo swell that had me pushing through a bit more.

Everything works as it should. Pain is still mostly associated with nerve issues concentrating in the rear of my right thigh and the left hip flexor (not the one I had surgery on) when duck diving, sudden movements, and movements while laid flat and pulling my lower body underneath me, but standing up has not been an issue.

I'm avoiding taking off late and haven't really tried to do much other than trim, pump, and redirect, but it's pretty great.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Don't know whether to put this in the back surgery or hip surgery thread, but I surfed for the first time in almost 2 years this weekend. Saturday was appropriately flat and worked great to get started again. Monday morning saw some jumbled little combo swell that had me pushing through a bit more.

Everything works as it should. Pain is still mostly associated with nerve issues concentrating in the rear of my right thigh and the left hip flexor (not the one I had surgery on) when duck diving, sudden movements, and movements while laid flat and pulling my lower body underneath me, but standing up has not been an issue.

I'm avoiding taking off late and haven't really tried to do much other than trim, pump, and redirect, but it's pretty great.
Good to hear. :cheers: So pop ups are not an issue? Or is that what you meant by pulling your lower body underneath?
What is your PT routine like?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Good to hear. :cheers: So pop ups are not an issue? Or is that what you meant by pulling your lower body underneath?
What is your PT routine like?

That's what I meant. Popups haven't been an issue yet. It mostly just feels like I'm fighting the lack of muscle memory and mental block after 2 years rather than pain or structural issues.

Surfing with no leash so far, mostly just to help take it easy and not rush into things. Fundamentals. I'm less apt to try to take off on a late one if I know I'll have to swim or possibly take someone out if I don't make it.

Pt is light deadlifts (seriously.), squats, lunges, stretches, running a couple miles and stationary biking, etc. I get little nagging pain in my thigh that I think has more to do with the back surgery than a hip issue, but the hip flexor area discomfort is consistently getting better.

The one nagging OWWW feeling is if my leg is in a figure 4 or butterfly position and I try to rotate my torso at all or push my knee down into a flatter 4 bend. It hurts from my torso to my hip, then radiates to my knee. An awkward position that one needs to sort of put ones self in rather than find ones self in, but it's interesting.

Reactions: Mr Doof

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
That's what I meant. Popups haven't been an issue yet. It mostly just feels like I'm fighting the lack of muscle memory and mental block after 2 years rather than pain or structural issues.

Surfing with no leash so far, mostly just to help take it easy and not rush into things. Fundamentals. I'm less apt to try to take off on a late one if I know I'll have to swim or possibly take someone out if I don't make it.

Pt is light deadlifts (seriously.), squats, lunges, stretches, running a couple miles and stationary biking, etc. I get little nagging pain in my thigh that I think has more to do with the back surgery than a hip issue, but the hip flexor area discomfort is consistently getting better.

The one nagging OWWW feeling is if my leg is in a figure 4 or butterfly position and I try to rotate my torso at all or push my knee down into a flatter 4 bend. It hurts from my torso to my hip, then radiates to my knee. An awkward position that one needs to sort of put ones self in rather than find ones self in, but it's interesting.
Like number 1 and 3? Radiating to your knee? Sciatica?