Hip Surgery

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Just got my right hip arthroscopy and with a fine sanding of the femur head yesterday.

I'm feeling surprisingly well. Hopefully it stays like this.
Crutches for two weeks
Rehab in a week or two
Should be back in baby mking shape within the month
Surfing 5-6 months.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Just got my right hip arthroscopy and with a fine sanding of the femur head yesterday.

Crutches for two weeks
Rehab in a week or two
Surfing 5-6 months.
You've had a rough year. I hope you recuperate quickly and can get back to doing the things you love to do.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja

Crutches for two weeks
Rehab in a week or two
Surfing 5-6 months.
why not get the Kit?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Hip replacement

Doc said I didn't qualify.

Femur head was out of shape so he shaved it down.
Labrum had enough left just to snip and clean up.
He didn't end up needing to graft the cadaver tissue in, so I'm still 100% non GMO and additive free.

He said this should buy plenty of time before potentially needing a replacement down the line.

Reactions: live4swell and grg

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Day 5. I was allowed to shower.

I took the strips off adhesive tape off along with the gauze and got to check out my 3 stab wounds. They don't look too bad, but way gorier than my back surgery.

Honestly, the absolute worst thing at the moment is the itchy/stingy feeling on my skin where the adhesive tape was. It feels like it's been rubbed with fiberglass.

Mar 1, 2010
i've gone through this 6 yes 6 times... no metal in my hips just cadaver tissue on my left side.. surfing pretty good over 2 years out now.. really mental test having to redo everything multiple times. my surgeon was amazing... and patient.. best advice would be not to push it and be patient.. i wasn't

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I been studying walking and gait patterns.

Walk with your feet in a line (heels hitting the line)with your feet slightly turned out.

You should really feel a stretch in your hip flexors.

--Walking knowitall (now) out!

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
i've gone through this 6 yes 6 times... no metal in my hips just cadaver tissue on my left side.. surfing pretty good over 2 years out now.. really mental test having to redo everything multiple times. my surgeon was amazing... and patient.. best advice would be not to push it and be patient.. i wasn't
Jeezus
How impatient were you??

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
6 hip surgeries but not a candidate for Replacement ??
What an interesting case here....

Reactions: moby
Mar 1, 2010
6 hip surgeries but not a candidate for Replacement ??
What an interesting case here....
the structure is still in great shape.. no need to replace then. its just whether the surgeon thinks the hip can be saved. resurfacing would be a next step before a replacement . buddy had replacement .. he's still limping around over a year out. i'm doing very well now

Reactions: grg

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Almost 2.5 weeks out and I'm mostly free from the crutches. Lord it has been nice to be able to stand on two legs and have both arms back.

I had my first PT and the message is basically keep it moving, but be gentle. I walked a bit too much on Friday and I was a little sore so I'm backing it off for the first part of this week.

Still never any significant pain. The bandage tape is still hanging on at the incision points, but the reaction to the heavy bandaging has dried up and calmed down. Looking forward to starting real exercises when I can.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Baby steps. That's what I was taught when encountering steep hills during trail runs. Apt metaphor for your rehab. In no time at all you will be deadlifting toddler weights like me! :cheers:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
People rarely give the injury enough time to heal.

It takes a loooooong time.

And you have to be moving all that time.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
People rarely give the injury enough time to heal.

It takes a loooooong time.

And you have to be moving all that time.
kitesurfing and surfing at 2.5 months with no issues. Healed and cleared by multiple professionals.

Healing time differs for different humans

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
This seems to be the best evidence based resource I've seen for anyone dealing with what seems to be a FAI issue

My interpretation of this is kinda "there's a good chance you're just fucked".

I have not had the so-called diagnostic MRI yet.

I have seen some significant improvement with PT strengthening exercises over the past few weeks but I don't know if this is from quitting surfing, running, and hiking or the exercises are actually helping.

I have never had any pain in this hip with running or hiking. It was surfing that was killing me. Pain is in the outer hip just below the greater trochanter. Pain is in my front leg with
- the offload during pumping
- the offload during backside turns
- the pop up

Things kept flaring up and calming down until they became intolerable a few weeks ago.

The interesting thing is at this point what really irritates me is the groin twinge I get from internal rotation. This is something that started back in January when I got back on my board after what was a pretty benign wipeout at a slab reef. A super sharp, stabbing pain that happens out of nowhere, lasts about a 1/4 of a second, and catches me completely off guard and makes me want to say "OW!!". It's like a surprise quick kick in the nuts and can be pretty awkward around other people. It's subtle movements that seem to trigger it especially when theres a little surprise movement of the leg under water, like getting rolled a bit during a duckdive. From diagnostic movements elciting the pain PT (who is a surfer) said he can almost guarantee that pain is from impingement. The pain in my outer hip he said he isn't so sure.

The PT I did a few years back worked magic on my other hip (which wasn't nearly as bad) so keeping my fingers crossed with this one.

Last edited: