Hip Surgery

Bob Dobbalina

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 23, 2016
Rode a shortboard for the first time on Sunday.
Bumpy, simultaneously wedgy and burgery closeouts had me second guessing myself for the first several waves.

Feet in the wrong spot, blowing takeoffs, flailing down the line.

Then I lined up one that felt familiar, albeit mistimed.

Last wave was on my backhand and it started to click. Thank goodness.

One-Off

Kelly Slater status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Rode a shortboard for the first time on Sunday.
Bumpy, simultaneously wedgy and burgery closeouts had me second guessing myself for the first several waves.

Feet in the wrong spot, blowing takeoffs, flailing down the line.

Then I lined up one that felt familiar, albeit mistimed.

Last wave was on my backhand and it started to click. Thank goodness.
I remember when I first started after months off, I was jealous of the kooks on wavestorms because the were popping up faster than I could dream of. Now I'm at 80% of what I was before injury. The other day there were little tubes to be had and I found it difficult to squeeze myself down into the tight little crouch necessary to pull in. I got to work on that. That used to be my specialty.

Don't be discouraged. Keep doing your PT. It'll come back.

thelodge

OTF status
Jan 25, 2009
Had my right hip replaced. I'm four months out now and I have a common complication which is called Heterotopic Ossification (HO).

It's basically a bone that grew next to the replacement as a result of the drama of the surgery.
The good news is it stopped growing and did not bridge to another bone. The bad news my recovery is taking longer to open up.

It is preventing me from fully bringing my right leg up... Being goofy foot, I can't pop up b/c I cant get the knee under my chest.

I have no pain just stiff/range of motion is not there. I'm sup surfing now just to be in the ocean. I ride my bike 6 miles 4X/ week. Im very active at 4 months.

I'm in intense PT... stretching like crazy to open up. I'm hoping at the six-month mark I can pop up.

IF not I could get the HO removed but that has risk (HO could come back.. could lose more range of motion, etc.).

Frustrating for sure b/c my new hip feels so strong.

So its been a year since my hip replacement. As I mentioned in a previous post :

I have a common complication which is called Heterotopic Ossification (HO).
It's basically a bone that grew next to the replacement as a result of the drama of the surgery.
The good news is it stopped growing and did not bridge to another bone. The bad news my recovery is taking longer to open up.
It is preventing me from fully bringing my right leg up... Being goofy foot, I can't pop up b/c I cant get the knee under my chest.

I have no pain just stiff/range of motion is not there. I'm sup surfing now just to be in the ocean. I ride my bike 6 miles 4X/ week. Im very active at 4 months.

I'm in intense PT... stretching like crazy to open up. I'm hoping at the six-month mark I can pop up.

IF not I could get the HO removed but that has risk (HO could come back.. could lose more range of motion, etc.).

Update:
Year now. HO did stop growing which was the goal. I have gained a bit more flexability but still struggle to pop up. I have have been supping and love it (I always did it in small waves on a 10' sup) but now i'm on a 8'0 and I'm having more fun than ever esp in big waves. BUT I still want to get on my short again.

Considering getting surgery to remove the HO but that comes with risk- It could come back, prone to dislocation, surgery...
Tough call. My hip feels great it is prob at 95%, no pain just that slight flexability to get my right foot tucked under my chest to pop up... If I was regular foot it would not even be an issue.
We shall see....

Reactions: Mr Doof

byoda

OTF status
Jan 3, 2006
So its been a year since my hip replacement. As I mentioned in a previous post :

I have a common complication which is called Heterotopic Ossification (HO).

Update:
Year now. HO did stop growing which was the goal. I have gained a bit more flexability but still struggle to pop up. I have have been supping and love it (I always did it in small waves on a 10' sup) but now i'm on a 8'0 and I'm having more fun than ever esp in big waves. BUT I still want to get on my short again.

Considering getting surgery to remove the HO but that comes with risk- It could come back, prone to dislocation, surgery...
Tough call. My hip feels great it is prob at 95%, no pain just that slight flexability to get my right foohast tucked under my chest to pop up... If I was regular foot it would not even be an issue.
We shall see....
after 2 THR both sides my popup in cold water and a 5 mil has gone to sh!t despite years of dedicated PT yoga and workouts find out i got spinal ostoepythes and only thing i hear from my doc is youve got a spine of a 60 yo started supping which has been fun hopefully gettin a smaller board this spring and moving to warmer climes perhaps during the winter this has been a humbling experience going from an alpha dog to watching kooks on wavestorms get the waves it takes all my inner strength to retain some measure of grace in the lineup wish it wasnt but hey i guess i can look forward to payin for a $800 carbon fiber paddle

thelodge

OTF status
Jan 25, 2009
I live in Jersey so also in a 5m.

I supped a 6-8 ' day this summer from Elsa, top 5 surf days of my life (im a very good shortboarder for 30 years).. I'm going down to a 7'11 SUP.. My wave count is higher, waves longer, just overall more fun. Big smile on my face. Was surprised how much I loved it.

Even if I could short again SUP will remain a big part of my life.

Reactions: byoda