Hip Bursitis - expedited cure?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Duffy said:
Kento said:
Duffy said:
Are you sure it’s not a pinched nerve in your low back?
Possible, I suppose, but didn't really any pain in lower back area.

Had PT eval today after resting and icing all weekend, including taking the meds. Huge progress from that last Friday where that hip was extremely painful. Was able to do all the stretches they gave me, including 10 minutes on the exercise bike. I took it easy but everything felt pretty OK today. Hip flexor itself is tight but that's really what I'm there for.

My wife will take pleeeeeenty of breaks on the hike up Jacinto this weekend so I'll have ample time to stretch it out on the way up. :roflmao:
I had bulging discs in my neck.

Shoulder, elbow, pectoral and shoulder blade area all hurt to varying degrees, mostly excruciating.

No neck pain.
I've got something like that going on now. I can make it worse by turning my head to the left. I wake up with knots along my left shoulder blade every morning that I have to work out with a tennis ball. 49 year olds should stay off of skateboards.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
GromsDad said:
Duffy said:
Kento said:
Duffy said:

Had PT eval today after resting and icing all weekend, including taking the meds. Huge progress from that last Friday where that hip was extremely painful. Was able to do all the stretches they gave me, including 10 minutes on the exercise bike. I took it easy but everything felt pretty OK today. Hip flexor itself is tight but that's really what I'm there for.

My wife will take pleeeeeenty of breaks on the hike up Jacinto this weekend so I'll have ample time to stretch it out on the way up. :roflmao:

Shoulder, elbow, pectoral and shoulder blade area all hurt to varying degrees, mostly excruciating.

No neck pain.
I've got something like that going on now. I can make it worse by turning my head to the left. I wake up with knots along my left shoulder blade every morning that I have to work out with a tennis ball. 49 year olds should stay off of skateboards.
When I was at my worst I had a paralyzed tricep, pectoral and lat on my right side.

I still haven’t fully recovered my tricep (probably permanent) 4 years later and I cannot straighten that arm.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
GromsDad said:
Duffy said:
Kento said:
Duffy said:

No neck pain.
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

Begin by sleeping on your side instead of on your front. Then stop slumping in chairs so much that it presses your spine against your clavicle.

Aug 23, 2016
I had the same type of pain, got to a point where it started waking me up at night. Friend says get an X-ray, did and saw a squared out hip joint! Two months later got a new one put in, few months out of the water, and good to go!

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Take Vicodin... seriously. Power through it. It’ll go away and you’ll think “I wonder why my hip quit hurting?” Then something else will start hurting

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
1whoknows said:
Take Vicodin... seriously. Power through it. It’ll go away and you’ll think “I wonder why my hip quit hurting?” Then something else will start hurting
Passed on the Vicodin. :roflmao:

Hip was no issue. Stretched it well in the morning, stayed hydrated throughout. Long hike but actually pretty cruisey on the way up. Relatively mild elevation gain most of the way until you got to final switchbacks and even then wasn't too bad. Hike down was longer and seemingly never-ending. Felt really damn good to get to the top, think it's the 3rd most prominent peak in the lower 48 so not too shabby. :hat:

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Unlikely iliotibial band as those tend to be more chronic. Sciatica can come and go and often will shoot all the way down the leg. Hip arthritis also tends to be chronic once the pain starts, but a lot of people with hip arthritis don't have a lot of pain go figure. You took the hike? That was chance-y with a recent musculoskeletal issue!

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
SurfDoc said:
Unlikely iliotibial band as those tend to be more chronic. Sciatica can come and go and often will shoot all the way down the leg. Hip arthritis also tends to be chronic once the pain starts, but a lot of people with hip arthritis don't have a lot of pain go figure. You took the hike? That was chance-y with a recent musculoskeletal issue!
Thanks. So odd that this came on so suddenly. Aside from that hip flexor being tight and twingy, never had any issues in that area of my hip socket. And it felt like an ice pick grinding away inside. Gout was one of the possibilities I was given by doctors but just did some blood work and uric acid levels were perfectly normal. :shrug:

The methylprednisone I was prescribed was absolute magic and between that and physical therapy, I was feeling pretty confident. The hike was definitely a gamble but I stretched continually going up the hill and things felt OK. .

I just really hope I don't have a recurrence of this, especially if I'm out and about.