High Adventure in the Sierras

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I celebrated with a beer. It may have been ****-warm at this point but man, was it refreshing. In hindsight, I would have saved it for the return trip. The three I left in camp were waiting, though.

Big Pothole Lake

Looking down from the top of the pass. Kersearge Lakes are in the center left. Bullfrog Lake is in center-right of photo.

One of the Kersearge Lakes. Several groups were camping down there around the lakes. Really picturesque.

Kersearge Lakes

And one more of the Kersearge Lakes

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Made it to the John Muir Trail junction. The Pacific Crest Trail also is part of this section too.

Bullfrog Lake from above. I took a long break here, knowing I had about 7 miles to go at this point. So scenic and peaceful with not a soul around, I could have lingered for hours, just taking it all in.

The trail back to Kersearge Pass, which is just out of frame to the right. Only about 2 miles to the pass at this point but it sure looked a lot longer. Had trail all to myself too, which was nice.

One last look at Bullfrog Lake and the Sierras extending beyond and beyond... Pictures didn't do the expanse justice. Just amazing to behold.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Awesome pics! I was a bit SW of you and also started the hike early Sat morning, it goes straight down (the hike back up is a burner) from the trailhead, also thick pine forest and some cool meadows, so the pics aren't as scenic as that alpine area you were in. Ever do Whitney? It gets crowded but if you do a day hike or stay at the lower lakes on night 1 it can be a lot of fun, and you can also have an entire lake to yourself (with really good fishing ).

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Looks great Kento. Glad I have one more trip in Sept. Those pics make me jealous.

I did that trail for a bachelor party years ago. It was awesome.

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Cool, I was hoping you'd post photos from your hike over Kearsarge. I have a similar set from when I took my grandson over that pass and then Forester to where the golden trout are in 2009. Man, I miss the Sierras. Looks like it wasn't even that smoky. Thanks for posting, I'm jealous.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Thanks you all!

___, where were you at? By Forester Pass? Crazy that you were up there too! I haven't done Whitney yet. My wife and I are talking about doing the High Sierra Trail next summer, which starts in Sequoia and ends by going over Whitney. About 72 miles, which I figure we can do in 6-7 days or so. I hear it's easier to get hiking permit than the standard Whitney hike too.

Gilbert Lake was teeming with fish. Big fatties too. Was wishing I had fishing rod.

Do any of you have one of those GPS watches? Now that I'm doing a lot more hiking these days (my wife re-kindled my love for it), especially in backcountry, I think it would be a good idea to have one. AllTrails is a good app but it eats up battery power on my phone like crazy and is finicky when you get out of cell service.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Google map this for the location and a visual (I can't seem to embed): 36.196771, -118.539328
Just outside of Ponderosa
Lots of switchbacks, steep granite drops into meadows, big contrast from that alpine area. The top gets foggy and rainy in the Summer often (and those dang Sierra afternoon lighting storms) and with all the ferns and moss almost feels like coastal N CA when it's cool out. If you pan out you'll see the meadows scattered around, kinda looks like a golf course :monkey: . It's still super green and the creeks are healthy and loaded with golden trout. People horseback on that side of the mountain a lot but I didn't see anyone or any cars during this trip.
I usually carry the Tom Harrison maps and a mini compass. I'd love one of those GPS watches too but a PLB took precedence in the gear budget. Gonna repeat a trip from Cottonwood to that area again this year, but have met people on the trail who went from Kings or Sequoia to Cottonwood or the Muir trail over Whitney. That looks like the way to go for sure. Going over the Lone Pine route, looking down from Trail Crest there's some epic stuff down there.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
_____ said:
Google map this for the location and a visual (I can't seem to embed): 36.196771, -118.539328
Just outside of Ponderosa
Lots of switchbacks, steep granite drops into meadows, big contrast from that alpine area. The top gets foggy and rainy in the Summer often (and those dang Sierra afternoon lighting storms) and with all the ferns and moss almost feels like coastal N CA when it's cool out. If you pan out you'll see the meadows scattered around, kinda looks like a golf course :monkey: . It's still super green and the creeks are healthy and loaded with golden trout. People horseback on that side of the mountain a lot but I didn't see anyone or any cars during this trip.
I usually carry the Tom Harrison maps and a mini compass. I'd love one of those GPS watches too but a PLB took precedence in the gear budget. Gonna repeat a trip from Cottonwood to that area again this year, but have met people on the trail who went from Kings or Sequoia to Cottonwood or the Muir trail over Whitney. That looks like the way to go for sure. Going over the Lone Pine route, looking down from Trail Crest there's some epic stuff down there.
Nice. That area looks really cool. Did you have a lot of bugs? I am a poor fisherman :roflmao: but would be good to get a telescoping rod. A PLB is a good idea for long trips. I know what you mean about priorities because, damn, the costs start to add up fast. :toilet:

The HST looks like a lot of fun. Major plus also with going that way is that you get a chance to acclimate to the altitude over the previous days. I'm hoping we can pull off doing that in late July/early August next year. Pretty much have most gear I need. Need water filter still.

San Gabriel Valley local

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2002
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Great pics. Onion Valley is a great place to acclimate before hiking Mt. Whitney, with the campground at 9000 plus feet elevation and Kearsarge Pass just under 12000.

Hope you don't mind a bit of a thread hijack but here are some pics of an overnight trip to Bishop Pass / Dusy Basin a couple weeks ago:

For the back story on the dead deer click here.

San Gabriel Valley local

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2002
San Gabriel Valley, CA

It's about a 6 mile hike and ~2400 foot of elevation gain from the South Lake Trailhead (~10000 feet) to Bishop Pass (~12000 feet). Very accessible and although it is a well-traveled trail, it was gorgeous with very little trash, etc. We had to time it right to avoid being exposed on the pass with the afternoon thunderstorm developed; very unsettling for several hours with lightning nearby at the campsite on the other side of the pass.

Not sure if I'm going to use it but I have a day pass for Mt. Whitney at the end of the month, and campsite reservations at Onion Valley. It's fun to plan and train for trips like these...helps to maintain fitness.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Just curious, is that area anywhere near the Dingleberry Basin?
Dingleberry Lake, Hungry Packer and Fishgut lakes?
Damn, that deer thing is gnarly.

San Gabriel Valley local

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2002
San Gabriel Valley, CA
SBSteve said:
It's in the same general vicinity, if you take the 168 from Bishop all the way to the end you'll hit at the Sabrina Lake trailhead from which you can access Dingleberry Lake, etc. If you take a left on South Lake Rd from the 168 that will take you to South Lake and the Bishop Pass trailhead.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
San Gabriel Valley local said:
SBSteve said:
It's in the same general vicinity, if you take the 168 from Bishop all the way to the end you'll hit at the Sabrina Lake trailhead from which you can access Dingleberry Lake, etc. If you take a left on South Lake Rd from the 168 that will take you to South Lake and the Bishop Pass trailhead.
That's what I thought, We did a 10 day mule pack-in trip up there, basically a lazy man's pack trip arranged by some friends of ours, we were living pretty large (big group) tents, cots, beer, lots of beer, 100 lbs. potatoes 50 lbs. bacon I don't know how many dozen eggs and tons of other foods (and yes... we packed out every single ounce of trash) We really had a blast although I got pretty tired of trout every day.

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
San Gabriel Valley local said:
Great pics. Onion Valley is a great place to acclimate before hiking Mt. Whitney, with the campground at 9000 plus feet elevation and Kearsarge Pass just under 12000.

Hope you don't mind a bit of a thread hijack but here are some pics of an overnight trip to Bishop Pass / Dusy Basin a couple weeks ago:

Man, that's awesome...I did Bishop pass and Dusy basin and more when I was 12 years old...so, you just did an overnighter? Thinking of bringing my teenagers up there next year...

For the back story on the dead deer click here.