HI High Surf Notice July 15

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
silentbutdeadly said:
Duffy said:
So head high surf is worthy of dire warnings now?

In Hawaii?
Did you watch the video? I know it wasn't xxxl surf but I consider head high to be level with a 5'8" to 6'0" tall surfer.
The vast majority of those waves were head high to a couple feet over head. That is not big.

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
Duffy said:

In Hawaii?
I don't think it's a "dire warning."

It's a high-surf warning, which is a National Weather Service thing, more geared to boaters than surfers.

A high surf advisory on the south shore is for 8-foot (faces) surf. A high surf warning is anything 15-foot faces or bigger.

On the North Shore, it's 15-foot+ for a high surf advisory and 25-foot+ for a high surf warning.

There were definitely some waves on south-facing shores that had 15-foot faces on Sunday, which is big for Town. But this would be a fairly typical North Shore swell during the winter. There are, however, a lot of South Shore surfers that have no interest in surfing North Shore waves.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I got lucky enough to get a week of summer south swell on the south side of Oahu once.

It was so much fun

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
craigj532 said:
There are, however, a lot of South Shore surfers that have no interest in surfing North Shore waves.
Interestingly, there are a lot of north shore guys that I know who refuse to surf South Shore. They basically treat surfing like Skiing. They surf all fall, Winter, and Spring. Once the waves go flat in the summer they move to their other hobbies until the north swells start up again.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Muscles said:
craigj532 said:
There are, however, a lot of South Shore surfers that have no interest in surfing North Shore waves.
Interestingly, there are a lot of north shore guys that I know who refuse to surf South Shore. They basically treat surfing like Skiing. They surf all fall, Winter, and Spring. Once the waves go flat in the summer they move to their other hobbies until the north swells start up again.
Saw a bunch of North Shore folks at Bowls the past few days including Michael and Derek Ho, Flynn Novak, Gavin Beschen, and others.

Here's Flynn on a fun one.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Duffy said:
silentbutdeadly said:
Duffy said:

In Hawaii?
Did you watch the video? I know it wasn't xxxl surf but I consider head high to be level with a 5'8" to 6'0" tall surfer.
The vast majority of those waves were head high to a couple feet over head. That is not big.
After a quick watch, I'd call the bigger waves 10'-12' faces.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Some of the NS surfers I know just ride a foil all summer. There’s an Eastside spot that is suppose to be epic for foiling and I’ll get asked by my NS friends if there’s swell there. I tell them I ain’t driving there to give you a foil report. Haha.

Rule of thumb from previous eras. If the wave breaks on the buoy it’s 8 feet. If it breaks outside of the buoy just depends. But I think the channel is shallower from all the years of run off and it closes out at a smaller size. It was the biggest south swell so far. It wasn’t perfect but plenty of size and waves. Super good summer so far.

Toward the end of the vid it’s me getting a quick tube on the inside bowl while the guy on the sailboat is watching.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Couple of my friends just hate driving into town and avoid it at all costs. They take up kite surfing or paddle boarding in the summer time. I can't say I blame them. I hate driving into town and with the Pali closed on weekends its an even bigger hassle.

Makule

Michael Peterson status
Aug 31, 2004
Somewhere between heaven and hell
92122 said:
Duffy said:
silentbutdeadly said:
Duffy said:

In Hawaii?
After a quick watch, I'd call the bigger waves 10'-12' faces.
Hawaiian juice.....it may look sweet but it can be very bitter and humbling at times!!!!!