Here's your Christmas stocking stuffer.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
If you know, you know.

I haven't seen it or read it but Paul Horn is one of the most practical S&C coaches I've met or trained with. No gimmicks, no fireworks or social media influencing. Just thoughtful time tested content.

Reactions: Havoc

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Too bad he's not in LA any more. Not that I could afford his gym and it was a little too far to be convenient, but maybe the initial consult... this book might be a good subsititute.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
except for the texas method stuff lolz. he's a legend in the strength community.
I like his Texas Method variation. You have to actively manage it but he's taken it from a grind to using volume when struggling with fatigue or getting stuck.

Case in point. Last year my squat was languishing to the point I felt it was going backwards. We added a couple low intensity volume sets and I PR'd a triple 3 weeks later. I did the same thing with bench and this summer and it worked as expected. I'm hardheaded about change and I think you need to be patient in order to see results so adding a couple back off sets was an easy solution.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Most people don't lift hard enough to stimulate positive adaptation.
All stress will have a strength adaptation. Most people accept a much lower adaptation than otherwise possible because some things in life are hard and people don't like doing hard things anymore.

Most people think they are strength training but really they are just exercising.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
All stress will have a strength adaptation. Most people accept a much lower adaptation than otherwise possible because some things in life are hard and people don't like doing hard things anymore.

Most people think they are strength training but really they are just exercising.
That is better than nothing.

I think to get stronger you have to yearn for it with a super high intensity too, at a cellular level.

At my strongest, I always wanted to be stronger.

I was pissed off but in a good way.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
You’re an obvious weakling and shouldn’t be commenting on these matters.
I am always looking for ways to improve workouts. I'm just pointing out that the description of the book doesn't say enough about what's actually in it to make an evaluation of its quality. And I imagine that's not good for sales, not that I care.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Honestly you're not lifting hard enough if you don't injure yourself at least 2 or 3 times a year.
This is crap. The idea that you need to be sore for days after is 80s/90s era bro science that needs to die already.

You don’t progress without recovery. Most of the better trainers nowadays are advocating that you finish your workouts feeling energized and like you could do more.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I lifted crazy in my 20s, 30s, and 40s.

We would get drunk and bench press in the garage at midnight.

Tons of forced reps. Tons of one rep maxes.

Safety always took a back seat to intensity.

I loved it.

Reactions: grapedrink

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
This is crap. The idea that you need to be sore for days after is 80s/90s era bro science that needs to die already.

You don’t progress without recovery. Most of the better trainers nowadays are advocating that you finish your workouts feeling energized and like you could do more.
How often do you have DOMS after lifting? I have DOMs in my hamstrings pretty much every time I lift. That's why I lift on Fridays, because I'm not usually planning on surfing on the weekends. I'm pretty sure it's the squats. I added bent over rows to my routine and now my low back gets sore. I'm thinking shear stress on the spine. I might eliminate them or just do really light and more reps.

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
If you know, you know.

I haven't seen it or read it but Paul Horn is one of the most practical S&C coaches I've met or trained with. No gimmicks, no fireworks or social media influencing. Just thoughtful time tested content.

thanks. bought it based on your rec. a few chapters in and learning a lot.