OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Here's what I don't get......

If it's cold you:

1) Pull your wetsuit down to your waist
2) Wrap a towel around your waist
3) Put your jacket on
4) Proceed to take off the rest of your wetsuit and put your pants back on

How is the changing poncho helping to keep you warmer? It just seems like an extra step that's unnecessary to me.

I understand the argument that it's less likely to come undone. That's a valid point, but that doesn't happen to me often enough to justify a pancho.
I'm late to reply but for me it's step 3 that's the problem. If you + your hands are super cold getting your shirt and jacket oriented and on is a huge pita. The robe you just toss on and then everything slows down and you can stay warm taking your wetsuit off without stomping it into the pavement.

Plus as others have said they can be a lot thicker than a towel. After I rinse my suit I wrap it in the poncho and it absorbs a ton of water and the suit is half dry before I even get home. I can do sunset session one day and have a dry suit for dawn patrol the next if there's still swell.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
My observation is that the changing ponchos are much more substantial and fleece-y than most towels, you can also put it on before you take your top off (they're really boxy/roomy) and therefore you are warmer the whole time. A woman I work with is all about the poncho life because of the latter part.
Where i surf the chicks just get naked in the parking lot and change. No shame. Towel around the hips, but the top is not a concern. Hipster chicks... gotta love em.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Where i surf the chicks just get naked in the parking lot and change. No shame. Towel around the hips, but the top is not a concern. Hipster chicks... gotta love em.
Better than the old mountain man at my spot years back that was just in full fuk it mode at his age with no towel or anything when changing. Dude I dont want to have a conversation while your junk swinging in the wind...

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
Better than the old mountain man at my spot years back that was just in full fuk it mode at his age with no towel or anything when changing. Dude I dont want to have a conversation while your junk swinging in the wind...
Hahaha ... I thought that was just a Morro Bay thing. I guess it goes anywhere north of SB. Hahaha.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
anyone hating on a poncho clearly hasn’t tried one after surfing somewhere that is actually cold.
True dat, I'm even considering one of these

Reactions: Havoc and sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
True dat, I'm even considering one of these

oh dang. changing parka.

I heard tomos dad invented that at Bells.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
anyone hating on a poncho clearly hasn’t tried one after surfing somewhere that is actually cold.
New Jersey is fairly cold some would say. No need for a poncho. Drive home in the wetsuit and get out of it in a hot shower. Towel changing is no problem either if you are so inclined. In the winter I drive to and from the surf in my wetsuit. I've found that if I'm already in my suit I'm more inclined to surf even if the waves suck. If I'm not suited up its too easy to look at shitty NJ conditions and say F it and go home.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
New Jersey is fairly cold some would say. No need for a poncho. Drive home in the wetsuit and get out of it in a hot shower. Towel changing is no problem either if you are so inclined. In the winter I drive to and from the surf in my wetsuit. I've found that if I'm already in my suit I'm more inclined to surf even if the waves suck. If I'm not suited up its too easy to look at shitty NJ conditions and say F it and go home.
I did something similar up north in the winter, but used one of those dryrobes with the wool inner to put over my wetsuit back and forth since I was only a mile away. Kept my truck seats from getting wet/funky on the ride back

Reactions: mundus

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I walk to my local change in my shower, too. You’re right, you dont need a poncho for that. but I sometimes drive to surf and other times vacation surf which requires some combination of changing on the curb either before or after.

the fact you drive home in a wet wetsuit, regardless the distance, screams kook of the day.

swamp balls much?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I see guys get into their truck with a wet wetsuit and it definitely says kook. No plastic or towel or anything. Just nasty ocean water all over their seat. For an extra 10 minutes and maybe 5 minutes of being cold they could take it off, save their dignity and save their seat from smelling like chit!