Help! What do I do?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
do they make a thing to hold my bar of fu wax while I'm applying it to my board?

these sticky fingers got me ready to quit surfing altogether.
For keeping my hands clean, wax-free, and silky smooth, I've just been collecting disposable gloves from when I go to markets and wherever else is offering a COVID-Free shopping experience, and using those. Also been stealing poo bags from my dog and using those in a pinch.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Real talk I use this collapsible water bladder I got on Amazon for $8.

I fill it with hot water from the sink and wrap it in a towel. Unless I'm out for 4+ hours it's still hot when I get back to the car. Holds enough water to totally rinse out the suit and then I just fold it up and put it in bag.

Re: ponchos. Maybe if I lived in SoCal I'd think they're silly but if you can change in the parking lot in January in the NE US when it's 30 degrees out with howling wind... good for you I guess? I'll be in my poncho lmao

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Real talk I use this collapsible water bladder I got on Amazon for $8.

I fill it with hot water from the sink and wrap it in a towel. Unless I'm out for 4+ hours it's still hot when I get back to the car. Holds enough water to totally rinse out the suit and then I just fold it up and put it in bag.

Re: ponchos. Maybe if I lived in SoCal I'd think they're silly but if you can change in the parking lot in January in the NE US when it's 30 degrees out with howling wind... good for you I guess? I'll be in my poncho lmao
I'm having a hard time understanding how the poncho keeps you warmer than changing with a towel.

Can someone walk me through it?

Reactions: Havoc and ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I'm having a hard time understanding how the poncho keeps you warmer than changing with a towel.

Can someone walk me through it?
I agree. Poncho seems like more work. Pulling your wetsuit off over your head, then putting poncho on over your head, then taking poncho off over your head? :foreheadslap:

Towel is much easier. Pull wetsuit off over head. Wrap towel. Pull off wetsuit. Pull off towel. Done. :jamon:

No hanging out in the parking lot with a dress on either. ha.

Reactions: Havoc and jkb

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
It covers more of your body (hoodie to knee). Plus it's just less fiddly overall, you don't have to worry about it coming untied while you're rushing, etc.
Here's what I don't get......

If it's cold you:

1) Pull your wetsuit down to your waist
2) Wrap a towel around your waist
3) Put your jacket on
4) Proceed to take off the rest of your wetsuit and put your pants back on

How is the changing poncho helping to keep you warmer? It just seems like an extra step that's unnecessary to me.

I understand the argument that it's less likely to come undone. That's a valid point, but that doesn't happen to me often enough to justify a pancho.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I understand the argument that it's less likely to come undone. That's a valid point, but that doesn't happen to me often enough to justify a pancho.
i surf where a lot of people walk on a path adjacent to where i park and there is also a campground immediately on the other side of a see through, chain link fence. i consider it an act of community service for walkers and onlookers when my towel happens to get caught in the wind or come undone. therefore, i refrain from poncho use in order to give the people of my community and visitors alike a chance at seeing what they all want to see, whether they knew it or not.

• Love
Reactions: jkb

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
My observation is that the changing ponchos are much more substantial and fleece-y than most towels, you can also put it on before you take your top off (they're really boxy/roomy) and therefore you are warmer the whole time. A woman I work with is all about the poncho life because of the latter part.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Changing poncho is like the fin puller. Looking for a problem that doesn’t exist.

Reactions: jkb

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Changing poncho is like the fin puller. Looking for a problem that doesn’t exist.
I thought the same thing but honestly I'm a total poncho convert.

Maybe not such a big deal in warmer climates but when it's 30-40F and possibly raining my thick poncho comes in clutch for preserving every little bit of body heat changing into and out of my suit. It's also nice for staying warm when I come in for a water/snack break or for a quick drive to another surf spot.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I thought the same thing but honestly I'm a total poncho convert.

Maybe not such a big deal in warmer climates but when it's 30-40F and possibly raining my thick poncho comes in clutch for preserving every little bit of body heat changing into and out of my suit. It's also nice for staying warm when I come in for a water/snack break or for a quick drive to another surf spot.
People in colder climates get a pass. So. Cal. No.

Mar 1, 2010
when you're trying desperately to get out of your suit while standing on frozen ice in the parking lot with the wind whipping the poncho is really nice tbo. its heavier then a towel and getting out of a 5mm when your hands are frozen and hurt it helps bc it stays in place better than a towel. i usually put a winter hat on then the poncho then start my struggle. my coat is usually in my truck and i throw it on after my changing ordeal..

life is not better in a 5mm.. looking forward to surfing tomorrow in my new psychotech though.. super stretchy feels like it'll be less warm than my xcel but it fits me better so that hopefully makes up for it

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
That Tomo planing hull poncho looks rad! Sleeve length determined by the golden ratio no doubt. His [allegedly] woman-beating father also pioneered the use of laundry detergent jugs to rinse off with back in the 80s in Lennox. LOL. Reforest is the king of surf accessories, so I'm kinda stunned he's anti-ponch. Remember the fancy Leatherman fin key?? Surely all it would take to change Reefer's mind on this topic would be a photo of Dan Tomo using a changing poncho.

@jkb I understand your skepticism. I used to be you. But then my wife got one for me. Gee thanks, honey. Threw it in the back of the car. Tried it... never wanted to change without one again. Cold weather or not, as long as it isn't blazing hot out, it's just damn cozy n comfy. Of course it's not a necessity... it's a muthaf'n luxury! Have you guys never worn a robe before?? I'm pro-ponch, and I don't care what you bros think of me. LOL