Help w/ homemade "Widowmaker" Conversion

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Got an old thruster off of craigslist and for the hell of it was going to make it into a widowmaker. Any advice on placement of the new fin box would be appreciated (how far up from the tail?). Thanks in adv.

Clamhead

Nep status
Nov 11, 2002
West Indian Ocean
Since this is your first 2+1, and you don’t know what center fins or position you’ll be using, I’d recommend installing one of the longer Bahne/Fins Unlimited boxes.

I’d position the front of the fin box slot so it overlaps say 1" over the back of the side fins. The back of the fin box slot should be far enough back so that you could put a normal tri-fin sized fin in, in the normal tri-fin position. Since you have an existing board, those positions are already known, and you can just measure. The fin boxes are available in many lengths.

Those will give you the two most extreme fin positions - way forward for a big fin, and way back for a small fin, and of course you will then be able to try everything in between.

You might also check out the posts by ghost_poster on this forum (chipfish on the Swaylock’s forum), who has posted a lot of info and pictures on this subject. Here is one to get you started, which also has a picture of a setup I particularly like: Anyone riding a 2+1 setup on a shortboards (Widowmaker)?

Basswave

Michael Peterson status
Aug 22, 2005
Near the Witches
Visit site
One thing to considered on a board that was not designed to have a huge fin box is to be sure that there is enough volume in the board to handle it.

A real thinly foiled board might have soem problems.
You can grind down those boxes a bit though.

Get a set a calipers and check it out before routing for for that.

Cheers
-B~

Feb 16, 2007
...does the thruster have glassons or plugs ?

if plugs ,

maybe you could consider putting in another plug forward and outside the existing thruster ones on each rail , so that, along with say a 10-12" fin box [providing the tail is thick enough?] , you will have LOTS of fin position options to play around with ...

anyways ,just a thought ....

cheers

ben