Help My Local Shop: Cinnamon Rainbows

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Morning all,

So there are only a few surf shops where I live, and the primary one has been destroyed by a fire that started in a restaurant next door.
I went yesterday and scrubbed soot off of boards for a few hours, super saddening, the owner is like a zombie, you can just see the whole livelihood just crushed in a day thing. While there I thought hey the bber's brothers (& sisters?) may pitch in a $1.00 each.

-Here is the link to the gofundme that a local guy has set up, if you can help great, and yes NH gets some decent and consistent surf and is overall a very friendly place to surf.

Cheers and thanks :shaka:

Reactions: slipped_disc

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I grew up in Maine, but made countless visits to Cinnamon Rainbows whenever I was in the area. Bummer to hear about the fire, and happy to throw them a few bucks.

Reactions: JeffRSpicoli

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Just a general question about these Gofundmes for businesses - doesn't insurance cover this sort of stuff?
I'd assume it does to some degree. But it's rare to come out on top after a legitimate insurance claim unless you have top shelf insurance... which most surf shops ain't gonna have. I'd bet they're losing money right now-- especially since this is their peak season.

And that's just the money portion. Lots of memorabilia in there to lose as well. Photos and history, etc.

Last edited:

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Just a general question about these Gofundmes for businesses - doesn't insurance cover this sort of stuff?
For anyone helping thanks guys, was there yesterday scrubbing more boards; those clean erasing things work pretty well, man am I sore...

As far as insurance goes, worked in a side industry so some knowledge, you would have to intentional buy 'Business Interruption Insurance' designed to continue your income stream while your business is no longer functioning; they didn't have it and I bet many small places don't as I think humans tend to blow off the low chance things: e.g. earthquake insurance in New England.
-so would be a different policy than the 'normal' stuff: theft, slip and fall, vandalism.

And their insurance company ain't playing nice, as usual. Some stuff is salvageable, the boards, but they have to discount them and don't really have a place to display/sell. All the clothes, wetsuit total loss. So from an insurance company perspective 'what do we really owe you' and what Slipped Disc says, insurance is not there to put you ahead it is just there to put you back to where you were.

We could have an insurance thread...here is the insurance decision matrix

Cheers and thanks guys!
:cheers:

1662716892334.png

Reactions: manbearpig

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Man, that’s a bummer. I popped into that store a few times when I was living in MA and it Was really cool. The peeps in there were great.