Help me pick a non-surf related trip destination.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Not happening anytime soon, until I can get someone to cover me at home caring for my mother.

But, been playing around daydreaming about where to travel to next.

Must be EU, North Africa, Mediterranean.... though Iceland has also been thrown into the mix, kind of like Australia and Israel being thrown into Eurovision.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::monkey:

Possibilities...

Iceland.

Turkey.

Czech Republic.

Egypt.

Corsega and/or Sardinia.

Mostly looking for a good destination for culture, food, architecture and/or archeological type tourism. Traveling with Hunny Bunny.

What say you, oh well traveled erBB wealth of knowledge?

Any other destinations are open too, but trying to stay within two flights, so here to some EU capital, and then to destination.

Want to be able to reach the place in 24 hours or less,so as to spend more time as a tourist than as a traveler.

For your troubles.....

82804190.jpg

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
My Brother in Law just got back from Czech Republic. He really enjoyed it.

CR, Italian Alps, Turkey, France, Greece.

His only comment was Greece, on the whole, was dissapointing.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Sardinia has been on my list for years. Covid fooked my plans. You could spend weeks/months there, it’s the size of several California coastal counties. Beaches and arch cites look nuts. Not a secret among Euros but doesn’t seem to be on the US of China radar . . yet. You can fly directly there from lots of Euro cities.

Greece is incredible. Athens was mostly destroyed by the Turks so it does not have an “old city” feel. Milos is insane. Mykonos was dumb. Santorini is a cluster fook but it’s for a reason- truly unique and stunning.

Slovenia is also spoken of quite highly.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Not happening anytime soon, until I can get someone to cover me at home caring for my mother.

But, been playing around daydreaming about where to travel to next.

Must be EU, North Africa, Mediterranean.... though Iceland has also been thrown into the mix, kind of like Australia and Israel being thrown into Eurovision.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::monkey:

Possibilities...

Iceland.

Turkey.

Czech Republic.

Egypt.

Corsega and/or Sardinia.

Mostly looking for a good destination for culture, food, architecture and/or archeological type tourism. Traveling with Hunny Bunny.

What say you, oh well traveled erBB wealth of knowledge?

Any other destinations are open too, but trying to stay within two flights, so here to some EU capital, and then to destination.

Want to be able to reach the place in 24 hours or less,so as to spend more time as a tourist than as a traveler.

For your troubles.....

View attachment 137876
Dolomites?

I think I’d miss forests living in the Canaries.

Can’t go wrong on the culinary side in Italy.

ps never mind. I googled Canary Islands forest and it does look like you have some.

what season are you thinking?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Iceland doesn't seem like it matches with what you are talking about in terms of archaeology, food, architecture - depending on what you mean.

To an American architecture in Europe might mean castles and cathedrals. So that'd be mountain ranges in fought-over sh!t. Wales, Northern France, Spain...lots of places.
Does food mean the source of tasty sh!t or someplace that happens to have fancy restaurants but was historically spotted dick and rotten whale?
When are you going? Iceland implies summer and I'd rule out a shitload of Southern Europe in summer. I wouldn't have picked Scotland or Ireland for the food, but for summer, sounds nice. I want to be supremely comfortable when I get sh!t on by a seagull in some touron-infested city.

Summer = Scandinavia, Ireland, maybe Scotland/Wales, Tyrol in Austria, Italian Alps, maybe Brittany? Sankt Pyotrburg if you get dumped before the trip?

Winter = Sardinia/Corsica, lowland/Southern Italy, Turkey. If you didn't live in the Canaries, Algarve/Andalusia.

There's a good cluster in Danube Zones. Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest, Belgrade, Prague nearby, Tatras nearby.

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
i always like to combine trips

we visited my Mom in Paris and then went to Egypt for a few weeks -

istanbul/egypt closer

istanbul and amman to see petra!
Did a safari in Tanzania followed by Zanzibar, Victoria Falls & Cape Town. Was my non-surf bucket list trip. Best connection options were Istanbul (24h) on the way there and Hong Kong (~48h) on the way back :beer:

Reactions: Truth

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
always did the connections trips - easy to extend or book into one city and leave from another then a one way in between

like to bangkok then leave from dehli
lima then bogota

fun to see what you can do
man....looking back on my travels - we were all over the place all the time

Reactions: grapedrink

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
Italy: rome/ florence, could easily spend a week in each city. Both cities are so fun to walk around. Plus there are so many cool smaller cities and walled villages in italy that are awesome to explore for a day. Great food, incredible sights. Historic locations everywhere you look. Rent a car or take trains to get around. Train system is incredible there. Great non-surfing trip.

Explore southern spain or the basque country. Start in Madrid for a couple days and then either head south or north afterwards. There is fun surf in Spain but it is a great non-surfing destination as well. Incredible seafood, and the cities are magical to walk around in.

Lisbon/ Porto. Obviously, there's great surf in Portgual, but Lisbon has soooo much to see that it would make a great non-surfing trip as well. Historic sights, fun to walk around, great food. What more can you ask for.

Reactions: dietz

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
:bowdown::jamon::bowdown:

Looking like Turkey is the front runner.

Fly into Istanbul, spend a day, then to Cappadocia for four days/nights, then back to Istanbul for two more days/nights.

Spain, I live there, been there, done that, to the bone, every single autonomous community. Still have more Canary Islands scratching and Extremadura; also, Galicia, no matter how many times I go, always want to go back. :bowdown: Portugal has been done, but holds a special place in our marital collective memory bank. Madeira is high on the list though.

Italy used to be high on our bucket list, but honestly, since the island here became overrun with "Tutto Italiano", it's dropped down several notches. Kind of like the U.K. ... their visitors and expats make me not want to go there neither, neither, nor... ever, ever more.

Iceland is up top, for summer, we're volcanic Island lovers, what can I say, huge part of why we live here year round.

Northern Europe is high on the list too, Finland, Norway, Sweden and the whole fjord thing.

Also, Denmark, for some unknown reason, has also come up on the radar.

WeeeeeeeeeD!

:waving::shaka:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
90' I spent a good month in.Sweden and saw a fair amount of the country and even went camping in the artic circle. Never got to return but remember flying over Norway as well and thinking I would like to visit some day.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Southern Italy, Capri especially if you have the dough...epic place

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Slovenia. Beautiful, safe, not particularly expensive, not particularly touristy yet, food and drink are outstanding, people are happy and friendly, zero language issues as just about everyone speaks fluent English, borders several other countries with completely different cultures if you want to mix things up a bit on the trip.